1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

An early look at this years college stars

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by gettough, Aug 28, 2012.

1. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    I'm a HUGE fan of Keenan Allen, and quite a bit of Justin Hunter as well...but both would be a pure impulse draft pick. Our 5 biggest needs as of today (subject to change)...

1 OT - As always RT is a huge problem, and if Gaither can't get his **** together LT will end up being our 1st round pick next year.

2 CB - Jammer is gone after this year, and Cason may leave too, either way he's unreliable. Wright and Gilchrist have both flashed starter ability at times, and at other times have looked flat out awful. Regardless you need 3 good CBs these days, and this is arguably the best CB class I've ever seen, I'm a huge fan of John Banks.

3 ILB - Butler will replace Spikes, but who will replace Butler? Mouton hasn't impressed me much, Williams is on a 1 year deal. I'm all for stacking talent at LB.

4 OLB - Phillips and Barnes are UFAs after this season, and Johnson is not a pass rusher. Unless Larry English explodes out of nowhere I think we need a running mate for Ingram.

5 OG - I love Vasquez, but Green needs to have a great year in both pass blocking and run blocking.

Honerable mention...RB - Not in the 1st round, but a solid #2 is needed, our running game becomes non-existant without Mathews.
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    We're probably going to go with either a pass rusher or a CB. Smitty doesn't draft olinemen in the first, and our 2nd ILB and RB are 3rd rd needs at best.
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I'm pretty much right there with you.

I would contend that sooner or later Hal Hunter's luck has to run out. So if Gaither doesn't get his act together and contribute this year, that could be the straw that finally breaks AJ's back (though I'm not all that optimistic he managed to work in a similar out-clause to Gaither's deal for injury that he did with MM's). Effectively the only situation I see us taking a 1st round OT is either AJ turns over a new leaf or we do so God awful that Dean cleans house.

Predicting where we go on forward with defense is difficult and largely depends on whether or not we're working with the same coaching staff as last season. Just because we're built right now to run a 3-4 doesn't mean that if a new coach comes in he wouldn't opt to make the switch back to the 4-3, as when you look at our turnover we have a lot of interchangeable pieces. Reyes can play UT. Ingram can move all across the DL and play as a 5th lineman/LEO in a number of instances. Butler can play any LB position in a 4-3. WLB's are easy plug n' play finds. Liuget, in the right system, can play the 1-Tech NT, and V-Mart (though a free agent) could excel at that position.

Assuming a 3-4, even still, ILB's aren't a value position in the 1st unless you're getting Patrick Willis and there's no Willis in this upcoming draft class that I've seen yet. WR is another pointless position to draft in the 1st round unless you're either picking in the final 5 (where you collect the value that falls but will never "dominate") or the Top 7 (where you have a shot at the guys whose athletic superiority alone allows them to wreck double-coverage consistently - see Megatron, Julio, Fitz). Regardless, top notch QB negates the need for 1st round receivers unless you're getting phenomenal value, as they're more or less a liability.
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    Bottom line is we don't know jack until January.
  6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    We don't know jack until the draft happens, unless we finish with the worst record, at which point we can at least attempt to make an educated guess.
  7. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +153 / 2 / -0
    im expecting at least 1 out of phillips and barnes to get a deal after this year... phillips is on the down side of his career and barnes is a 1 trick pony so i dont see any other team really throwing crazy dollars at either of them
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    At the same time that would include us among the teams that won't really throw crazy dollars at them. Barnes fits into the Mark Anderson mold, but the problem with that is that even when he had a good season in New England, situational pass-rushers aren't high priority re-signings.

Phillips - I hate to say it - is doing exactly what I expected of him... which is actually trying considering he's in a contract year. His future I think will largely depend on what kind of contributions we get out of English this season. I don't believe that our current front office has any desire to hamstring themselves without some they at least view as starting caliber on the roster at a position going into the draft. Granted, this is where our definition of starting caliber and theirs likely differs, but it's worth noting. AJ would view Gilchrist as starting caliber because he has started for us, thus the urgency to resign both Jammer AND Cason will be minimal in his mind. If English doesn't instill confidence that he can start (which would include staying healthy long enough to be depended upon as a starter), then the situation becomes a bit more murky... assuming we stick with the 3-4 (or the current coaching staff).