1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Another big departure coming"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Mar 13, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    After losing Randel El they desperately need a kick/punt returner too.
  2. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    Very true.. Shannahan had a front seat look at how bad *** that little man is, it's very possible.

Not too mention Snyder hasn't spent any money this off-season, you know he's got the ITCH :icon_rofl:
  3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Maybe it is Kaeding! :icon_banana:
  4. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    And draft Tiffin in R6? I'm down with that.
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Merriman - Sproles - V.J. - Buster 'hymen" Davis .... adios .....

We need LINEMEN

OR

FORGET ABOUT NEXT YEAR AS WELL
  6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    :abq2:
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Agree with Buster, Sproles, and possibly Merriman. But trading VJ is just a stupid idea. The guy pulls double coverage, and is a matchup problem for 95% of the corners in this league.

Not everybody needs to have a clean white hat Trumpy. We just need to put some incentives in his contract to act like a damn grown up off the field.
  8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    And only people that don't get that he popped in APRIL and had a career year after the roids were well out of his system, and forget that he had the worst DC in the history of football coach him the year after that.

Funny how Demarcus Ware started having awesome stats the same year Merriman's dropped, which just so happens to be the same year Wade Phillips left SD for Dallas. But I guess that is just coincidence
  9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    The dude is an idiot. I get the DUI's and stuff but kicking the Refs flag in the playofffs (that took the cake) and getting a ticket the day of the game ...

Pffft.... Send his *** packing and let it send a message to the rest of the aholes who think it is cool to roll like a moron and think you will not be held accountable. That is the biggest problem on this team. If the Tuna (for instance) were here plenty of weenies would have already rolled the F-on outta here. The crap would not be tolerated without paying the piper so in that vein A.J. has to do Norv's job.
  10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Getting rid of VJ would be stupid.

Yes, the line is the most important and most under appreciated part of the roster, but that doesn't mean we can throw away a star receiver willy nilly.

The best line in the world still needs someone to move the ball while they're blocking.
  11. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I know you hate Teddy C. DB67, but the numbers don't lie, that was the best defense of the decade numbers wise. Sacks went down a little but our INT's went way up and we improved with our pass defense, Wade was a master with the Front 7 but he has issues with the secondary and the coverage half of pass defense.
  12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Right. Send a message that we care more about having boy scouts than football players on the team.

Kicking the flag was stupid, but he's still a key cog to why the team was even able to be in position to lose in round 2 of the playoffs despite having absolutely no run game and an inconsistent defense.
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    He very well may be franchised next year, and no one knows what will happen if there is a lockout next year. But Kevin Acee, who is AJ's puppet has been saying for 3 years that there is zero chance of Merriman getting a long term deal. I know Acee's opinions are wrong some of the time, but when he presents things as fact, they usually are.
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    This.:yes:

Its nice to see a little common sense around here.
  15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    And Ted was the opposite. he had no idea what to do with the line and LB's, which is why Peterson was able to set the record on our defense.

Ted's weak prevent defense was the main reason Merriman #'s dropped, whis is what I was saying
  16. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I have never asked for boy scouts. They are role models and have a responsibility to conduct themselves responsibly. V.J. got a ticket on the way to the playoff game and Rivers had to bail his *** out in getting VJ to the stadium. That is not a good way to start the playoff day. The dude is an IDIOT for driving on a suspended license and even a bigger idiot for committing a flagrant foul.

There has been a lack of accountability and this is why players think they can get away with crap with little to no consequences. Again, I am all for the players having fun but stay the hell out of the police blotters (as much as possible).
  17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    And how about "Don't do stupid ****!", is that too much to ask? In one game the Chargers performed a mountain of "stupid ****" that they seemed to (mostly) avoid all season. That's all I care about, don't be such a bloody dumbass! Is it that hard?
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Yeah, still not worth losing a legit Pro Bowl WR. We need to do some grooming, not a complete overhaul. And I think AJ might even see more revolt than obedience from making such a move.
  19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I saw VJ grow up in the playoffs two years ago. Dude dominated and still dominates but it goes to their heads. They need to eat a few humble meals at Philip Rivers House On The Prairie and count their blessings before tapping the poon.

If we could get a dominant lineman in a trade for V.J., I would do it in a heartbeat. That is how much I miss quality line play. V.J. rates right up there with John Jefferson and Wes Chandler and even given that, I would get more line help by using him as bait.
  20. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I agree and am wondering how we are going to do this year. Everyone seems to be getting better (at least on paper) and we are going backwards.:unsure:
  21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    I'm not condoning Jackson's stupid actions off the field and I was obviously exaggerating with the "boy scout" remark to make a point.

I'm just saying that getting rid of our best WR who's mere presence makes the other targets that much more of a threat would be an overreaction, especially if it was only done to "send a message" as you said.

Punish him, suspend him, berate him in the locker room, but you just don't let someone like Vincent Jackson get away...especially when the passing attack is the main reason the team is a playoff contender every year.
  22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Get the line in the draft so we can have both. :icon_shrug:
  23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Remember the game VJ missed last year and Legadu Nanee started? The first play of the game was a deep post right on the money to Legadu. I forget the game but it sent a message.

I would rather let someone like VJ "go" and actually get adequate line help to keep an even harder pro-bowl player stay upright - Rivers.
  24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    It's a good thing we aren't limited to only two options of let VJ go and improve the line or keep VJ and have a ****** line. :icon_shrug:
  25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    The current line did a pretty good job of keeping Rivers upright last year, they just couldn't run block worth a sh*t
  26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    AJ builds through the draft, WE ALL KNOW THAT.

There is more than a month before the draft, and the preseason doesn't start till August, we have plenty of time to add talent before you go into panic mode. And most of the players we have lost are replaceable, as they we're either washed up or inconsistent head cases.

I haven't seen 1 guy leave yet that I'm truely worried about replacing.
  27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    We ran a lot of max protect packages and 3 step drops. That helps because the franchise Q.B. has gotten his foot nuked, then the ACL's .... then .... I do not want to wait with this patchwork line and then have to look for another franchise QB because Rivers is dead.
  28. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Good thing you are in charge of the club...I might have to quit watching. :icon_tease:
  29. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,558 / 11 / -0
    But you don't need to let VJ (or Merriman) go to make any of that happen. VJ is going to be suspended for the first game or 4 of the 2010 season. He is going to "pay" for his actions with his pocketbook too, at least in the short-term.

As for needing the draft picks to get quality players... Hell, some of our best and brightest were UDFA's. Trading away our best and a top of the line WR - a PROVEN talent - for draft picks, even a 1st/3rd is no guarantee we get the talent we need in return.
  30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    We threw deep more than any team in the league Trumpy, VJack and Floyd averaged over 17 yards per catch, and Gates was just under 15...there is no way we did that running all screens, slants, and outs. The O-line was clearly improving (at least in pass blocking) as the season went on.

I'd like to have monster RT, but with our other needs and our draft position I don't see that happening this year.