1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Anteater's 2013 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 23, 2013.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
  2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
    One of the many rumors I've read is that the Chargers are looking to trade spots with Philly. If they do that, and I believe it's a looooooooooooooooong shot at best, then they are going after Fisher.
  3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Well, there's a little flubbing in there, particularly on Nico Johnson. While Bama gets lauded for their ability to produce "pro-ready" prospects so regularly, there is a double-edge to that sword, one that's pretty widely shared among a good portion of the scouting community. That being that Saban and Co. are such good developers of talent that while Bama's prospects come out of the program pro-ready they also come out with the vast majority of their ceiling already maximized and reach - there really isn't that much more "room to improve/grow" unless you're the physical freak exception to the rule like Julio Jones. Bama players are very much, what you see is what you get. They might get a little bulkier as pro players, but not much, and they really aren't going to be gaining a ton more of functional strength because they've already got it - that's what's made the Tide such a dominant program of late.

I actually have Star projected to us in my mock as well, though I have Johnson off the board and both guards still available. I think we may actually have to move up in the 2nd a little to secure Armstead, but we can likely do so only at the cost of a 5th (a 4th round pick was sufficient last year for a team to move up in the bottom of the 1st round, a 5th should be to make a modest 4 or 5 pick jump in the 2nd this year - getting up to 40 or 41 would likely be sufficient unless Jacksonville goes all out for him at #33).
  4. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +260 / 4 / -2
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    I think Johnson has two good aspects to him that fit the bill; he's a two down thumper and can play the run well and the zone decent enough. He's also the most likely player that far down that can start. I was looking for the best player at the areas of need and that far down finding a good player let alone someone who could potentially start was very difficult. Johnson mercifully fit the bill.

Star will fall to us if he gets past Philadelphia and even if he's not in the cards, he would be marvelous trade bait. If we do select him I maintain the Chargers have the best young DL in the AFC West and a top one in the league. Armstead I think will fall to us and he'd fit the bill. The other player I'd consider if he's there is Justin Pugh who I am starting to think could be our left tackle (his arms are basically same size as Joe Thomas). Either way if the Chargers can't draft a tackle in the first they have to find someone in the second, because once you get past that round, outside of maybe Xavier Nixon, there's no one left.
  6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Here's to hoping our first round pick isn't Star. :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Chico Andy

Chico Andy BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Stephan Taylor in the 7th would be a steal!