1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Anteater's Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Mar 11, 2012.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    Let's do it again shall we?

1. Whitney Mercilus OLB Illinois
    Hmmm....we all thought he'd go Cam Jordan from Cal but went instead with an Illini. This year we all think it's another California player sooo........ Truth be told I think Mercilus has incredible potential as an OLB as well as Perry but as long as its an OLB (Ingram, Upshaw, Perry, Mercilus) I just don't care.

2. Harrison Smith S Notre Dame
    It's been fairly telegraphed and truth be told he is a good compliment to Eric Weddle. Decent coverage and good hitting ability

3. Mike Martin DL Michigan
    Operating under the assumption that he can be developed into a stout NT and as such would be a great addition to team with Cam Thomas. Truth be told I think a camp trench battle between him and Hardwick (former Big 10 wrestlers) would be fun

4. Ladarius Green TE Louisiana Lafayette
    He can be groomed as a third tight end and has real potential unlike Sperry.

5. Chris Rainey RB/KR Florida
    I think the Chargers will take, in the same spot they got Darren Sproles, another speedy running back. The Chargers desperately need a spark in their return game

6. Nate Potter OL Boise State
    Even if we keep Gaither, which I want, it would be smart for the Chargers to at least consider drafting someone to groom as a potential back up (unless you want Dombo back in there).

7. Asa Jackson CB Cal Poly
    Small school, very talented, a flyer pick
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    I like this draft, I won't be crushing AJ if it looks exactly like this..............which means of course it won't.
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    To be honest I was thinking less about replacing Clary with Potter so much as using him as a primary left side back up, whether its guard or tackle. Let's hope all things turn out great in that we keep Gaither and Green continues to play well. I still prefer to have someone who could be a solid backup on the left side. Dombo lost a lot of credit in my eyes and Schilling I like but can't promise he'd be a good LG or (god forbid) LT in a pinch. Potter provides experience and talent at that backup spot. Frankly, I'm done predicting we'll replace Jeromey Clary because I've predicted it for like four years with it not happening, which means I won't predict it, which hopefully means it will happen lol.

Regarding Martin, I'm not as big of a fan as LBC is but I think he does bring value. Truth be told was thinking strongly of Josh Chapman from Alabama here. Still if he's this far based on your noted 'aj *****' factor then yeah I'm pretty sure he's a Charger. I could think of far worse selections and (mentioning above with Clary) I'm just not predicting any more RTs. I also don't know if we will add another corner outside of Corey Graham who could be a ST ace + a good nickel back. Jackson was again finding a late round flyer. I was thinking of Harris but that 10cent brain is just not worth the headache. Also don't need his return ability with Rainey selected. It was that KR/PR value that makes Rainey a better selection than Hillman (who I love as well). Any 3rd RB needs to provide value in other areas than just running. Rainey can be KR/PR, even general ST along with being the 3rd RB. Something I don't think Hillman can.
  4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    You're picking playmakers in 1 and 2, developmental players in 3 and 4, and you don't have a RB on there until round five. Looks good to me :-D
  5. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    Some mock drafts have David DeCastro from Stanford dropping to 20- would he be considered for our first round pick?
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    He certainly should be considered & would quite likely be BPA if he's there at 18. I have doubts that this will happen but you never know - free agency has filled a few holes for some likely bidders.
  7. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    I'd very seriously consider it, that'd be one hell of a good pick up and he's considered to be one of the most dominant players at any position at the draft. I would still think long and hard even with him on the board about picking the best pass rusher
  8. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    Updated for free agency

1. David DeCastro OG Stanford
    I think the Chargers will go best player available even with their needs at pass rush. I think DeCastro will be available and if he's there the Chargers would be foolish not to grab him. It could also be dre kirkpatrick or maybe even Michael Brockers if he falls. The recent moves give me the belief the Chargers will go BPA.

2. Lavonte David S/OLB Nebraska
    I've got this very very weird idea that this is going to happen. I know the Chargers are huge fans of his, almost as big as Harrison Smith. David's biggest negative is that he's too small to be an ILB/OLB, and he has definitely been practicing a little at safety. Think this is what happens.

3. Jonathan Massaquoi OLB Troy
    The Chargers will go pass rusher, but I am starting to doubt it'll be in the first round. Jarrett johnson was brought in to basically start for Barnes, thereby saving him & Laboy for passing downs where they will be fresher. Their logic is the Chargers will gain a pass rush from the OLBs being fresher. However they will bring someone in to compete with English, end their mistake.

4. Alameda Ta'amu NT Washington
    The lack of any interest with any nose tackle could mean one of two things; they are waiting for the price to drop very low and snag someone or that the Chargers will try the same thing that worked in 2010 where Cam Thomas fell into their lap. I think he'll drop from his lack of success in the off-season and I've had some trouble deciding between him and Nicky Jean Baptiste.

5. Nate Potter OL Boise State
    Same as before, they do need someone, ANYONE who can reasonably back up Gaither. Potter would fill the role and maybe with some good luck he could become a good OL

6. Ryan Steed CB Furman
    Another depth CB pick, probably too low for him, but the Chargers will go CB at some point for depth. I'd also seriously consider Asa Jackson here but I honestly don't know where he will go.

7. Vontaze Burfict LB Arizona State
    Oh how the mighty have fallen. He's going to drop all the way down the board, and at this point, what the hell? More likely than not they'll go 3rd QB so I'd imagine it'd be BJ Coleman from Chattanooga. Someone they can groom much like Whitehurst
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    The homer in me sez look at Micah Pellerin at 6, but he may fall all the way out of the draft. But I like it. This would be $$ for AJ. :tup:
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    Not nearly as good as your last one. ;) You hit two of my three biggest draft pet peeves in the first 2 picks.

1st - A guard in the 1st round is irritating, there are A LOT of good OGs in this league. Even Ty Green (4th rounder himself) impressed the coaches enough that he won the starting job for a while. Only way I'm okay with DeCastro is if he's ELITE immediately, I'm talking Logan Mankins and nothing less.

2nd - I really like this kid....for any team but us. He's not a 3-4 OLB, he's not a SS. Taking tweeners with no real position is another irritating things teams do because they thik they're clever. One of the most overrated attributes of any football player is position versatility, its nice, but I'd rather have a guy who is great at what he does. And you often find they end up getting replaced when great prospect at one position or the other shows up.

3rd - I like this one.

4th - I get it. Not as dominant as he should be, but worth the pick. (BTW that doucebag Pricksco had us taking this guy at 18 lol, the guy is so out of touch)

5th - Solid, but same thing I said the first time about replacing Clary still applies.

6th - Don't know him.

7th - Will go in the 4th or 5th at worst. But then again I thought Blount would get drafted too.
  11. BoltsFanUK

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0

Lavonte David weighed in at 230ilbs+ so would be a good fit for the chargers. Liking the Decastro pick- could be future LG then we could move Ty green to RG
  12. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    There's still a strong possibility IMHO that Harrison Smith, if he's on the board, will be the Chargers starting SS for the 2012 season. Unless AJ is completely playing us, he is absolutely in love with this guy and he's a good compliment to Weddle. I think However, David could be something very special wherever he plays and he's absolutely not an ILB for a 3-4. I think he can play safety, there's some scouts who would suggest similar. At the very least I think its another possibility and I think the Chargers would be well served putting someone like him back there. It's less that he doesn't ahve a designed position than he needs to move, usually its the opposite way from safety to LB but this time it'd be the opposite.

While I agree that guards normally are a waste in the first, DeCastro is so highly regarded, so consistently dominating and so talented he'd be worth a first round pick. At that point my theory for the 1st round was BPA, and DeCastro could be the BPA for sure, or it could be Kirkpatrick (no problem) or Brockers or maybe even a pass rusher.
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    This doesn't make any sense.:confused:
  14. BoltsFanUK

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    it was meant to be in response to Ant saying that david's biggest negative was the fact we was undersized. He could easily fit into our ILB core with spikes and butler, got great instincts, smart, tough and just a solid player
  15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    230 lbs is tiny for anything other than a Tampa-2 LB. Most 3-4 ILB's play at between 245-255 lbs, and so of them as high as 260 lbs. The issue is that Lavonte's frame doesn't look like it's particularly capable of taking on another 12-22 pounds of muscle bulk, nor how his game (which is based off of instincts and speed) would be affected by that kind of weight gain if he could in fact pull it off. He does remind me a bit of Cody Grimm (Buck can homer out on this one as I'm namedropping around VT guy), who played collegiate LB and converted to S at the pro level, but that is a rarity. Also, in order for David to play ILB for us he'd have to be A LOT better at shedding blocks than he is or has shown capable of ever being. Honestly, I think the guy is a Will Witherspoon clone (more so the kind of guy that draftniks have been trying to bill Zach Brown as being).

As to DeCastro in the 1st... the guy is the best guard prospect to come out since Steve Hutchinson - and yes, this means that includes better than Logan Mankins. He's polished, he's versatile (can play all 3 interior line positions), he's strong, pulls like a bat out of hell, and plays with a massive mean streak. I think as a prospect Mike Iupati had/has a higher ceiling, but based off his versatility (Iupati didn't project to be able to play at center if needed) DeCastro grades out as a superior prospect. That said... I won't believe AJ spending higher than a 2nd round pick on an OL until I actually see it happen.
  16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4

Though at 230lbs he would be a good fit at strong safety and, correct me if i'm wrong, but he does have the skill set to be a good safety. He hasn't played as far as i know safety but he could. Granted yes its a bit of a reach but I think he could be good.

Agree about DeCastro and agree about AJ selecting an OL that high when the highest he's ever gone was McNeil (2nd 06) and Hardwick (3rd, '04). What is interesting to me as mentioned is that the Chargers right now have put themselves in a position where they could hit anything they want with that first pick. They need a SS but we both agree no real prospects worth a first. They need a pass rusher but the talk is that they like Johnson enough that his playing obvious rushing downs will improve the pass rush by giving guys like Barnes a break. They won't go WR (unless they're insane), so basically the Chargers could select the best player on the board and that could be a Decastro or a Kirkpatrick or even a Brockers.
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Irony is, if the scheme was worked to fit him, Brockers has more potential as an NT (even in a 3-4 if given proper time to add the bulk - he tried to do too much too quickly for the combine which was evident in his poor showing in drills, but on a proper regimen the gain could be done pretty successfully, as people seem to forget he's a redshirt sophomore who came to LSU as a 250 pound freshman and now weighed in at his Pro Day at 317 pounds). Brockers isn't even really that awe-inspiring of a pass-rusher, but he eats double-teams for breakfast.

He's one of those guys who needs to correct how high his pad-level gets when he plays, but when he does get leverage.. Good God! does he stuff the run. Ultimately I wouldn't be looking at him as a pure 5-Tech because I don't think he can collapse the pocket as well as Martin can or Liuget could if he reaches his potential. So it really depends on what Pagano is looking for out of the NT position. Is it a space-eater who opposing OL's are going to have to account for but isn't likely to show up a ton in the stat category outside of tackles (see Haloti Ngata - he's the single most important part of the Ravens' D because he forces offenses to key on him and frees up others as a result) or does he want more the traditional Fairbanks-Burroughs (Wade-style) NT who is a disruptive interior pass-rushing force who is freed up to do his damage by the 5-Tech's around him eating up blocks.
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    The only reason I've knocked Brockers off my board of potential picks for us at 18 is because I think we'll be fine with our starting 3 D-linemen, and more importantly we've lacked actuall play makers for too many years. Brockers is a nice player, he would improve our run D and I doubt he'd be a bust as a DE or NT, but he is a guy who will come off the field on passing downs.......we can find that in the 3rd with a guy like Josh Chapman, or later with a guy like Ta'amu.
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    This is true. I just figure if a DL is looked at in the 1st that a guy like Brockers is more likely because of his position versatility than someone like Devon Still or Fletcher Cox who would be almost exclusively 5-Tech's. Ideally, we want and should have at least 4 starting-quality DL that fit the 3 downed-linemen formation on the roster, preferably 5, but 4 is the necessity because of how often the linemen rotate and to cover for injuries. Personally, I'm content to sit until the 2nd or 3rd and if we come out of those rounds with someone the like of Brandon Thompson, Mike Martin, Josh Chapman, or even go a bit later and Nicholas Jean-Baptiste in the 5th or 6th round, we're just as well off.
  20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Cody made the move to safety because of good instincts & one helluva work ethic. I think David possesses those same traits with better natural athleticism. In the right hands I believe he could make the switch to safety, staying in the 220-225 range. Question is, do we have the coach to bring him along?