1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Anyone else shoot?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BeerGuy, Oct 25, 2008.

1. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    If there's a price difference then go with the cheaper one. You don't need to worry about the difference between the two. It won't matter one bit, as best I can tell.

2. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Just ordered a H&K USP Standard .40S&W. Should be here Thursday. :yes:
    The dealer said he has been swamped. Black guns going like crazy.

3. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
  4. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Man, I expected a fazer set for stun.......I wonder if President-elect Obama thought that scene was funny?

5. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Will shoot for beer.

So, I took two supervisors that work for me out for a day at the range yesterday. We cut out of work around 2:00 and headed to the club I belong to. One had never shot a gun in his life and the other I had taken once before, but, only with a handgun. They really wanted to see my LTR and give it a try.

After all the safety instruction and range procedure discussion I let them each get a feel for the rifle(a .223) at 50yds. They did pretty well for two guys that never looked through a scope before. It wasn't long before they were competing against each other and making side bets. That's pretty typical of the guys I work with, all very competitive and motivated.

After they proved to me that they could keep their shots well inside a 6" area I told them it was time to move out to 100yds.

Neither hesitated, they wanted a one shot "shoot off" between the 3 of us to see who was closest to the center. Even though I had more experience they wanted to take the boss on. I loved every minute of it. They guy who had never shot before went first. He punched a hole just under 3/4" from the center @ 10 o'clock. The second guy's was at 10 also, roughly 1" from the center. As for my shot......well......I didn't have to buy any of the beers afterward.........

3 shots, 3 different guys(two who hadn't shot before), less than 1". I told them my "superior" rifle that I paid way too much money for basically compensated for all their shortcomings........:icon_rofl:

[​IMG]

The scary part is this.....put a quarter on your forehead. Two guys who had never shot a rifle before basically hit that quarter from 100 yards away. God forbid gang bangers ever smarten up and buy themselves a long range rifle. Why "drive by" when you can reach out and touch someone from over 100 yards away? My rifle would be more than effective from 400 yards. Scary.

6. eastcoastboltgal

eastcoastboltgal BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +695 / 0 / -0
    I know you!!! :icon_eek:

Do you live in the DC area? (no suspicious smilie here?)

7. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I spent some time down there, went to school in VA and have friends and family inside the Beltway and just West of D.C. down RT. 50.

8. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Can you pick me out of a line-up?

[​IMG]

9. eastcoastboltgal

Ratings:
    +695 / 0 / -0
    Well I don't know you know you .. I have a good friend who went to JMU. She told me about this friend of hers who had a collection of expensive watches. She lives in Northern VA.

So do you think that is you? :icon_eek:

Edit: Which one of the above are you? Give me a hint ... suit?

10. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Nope, no suit.

I'm probably not the guy that your friend was talking about. I do know a guy who graduated from JMU, lives in NoVa and has some ridiculously expensive watches(some cost more than my car).

11. eastcoastboltgal

Ratings:
    +695 / 0 / -0
    I have a guess as to which one you are! :D

I do remember something about the watches (or one) being in some sort of box that moved so the watch didn't have to be wound??? Apparently a Rolex doesn't need to be wound if you wear it?

I may sound like a fool but this is what I recall. :icon_eek:

12. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    You are correct, and, you don't sound like a fool. Most Rolex watches are "automatic" which means they're wound by the motion of your wrist. They have a weighted rotor, basically a weight offset mounted on a shaft, that rotates when the watch is tipped. That movement winds the mainspring, which drives the watch as it unwinds.

As for me, I'm this goofy guy.........I'd just come from a golf tournament so no suit for me.

[​IMG]

13. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Not to be a total watch nerd, but, in that picture I'm wearing an IWC Classic UTC.

[​IMG]

Not that anyone cares, but, IWC (International Watch Company) is the only high end Swiss watch company to be founded by an American, from Boston no less.:tup:

14. eastcoastboltgal

Ratings:
    +695 / 0 / -0
    You are who I thought you were!! :lol:

15. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +989 / 2 / -2
    Will shoot for beer.

All my adult life I have maintained that beer, taken in moderation, settles your nerves. Here is proof. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  16. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Uh oh, TOO LATE! :lol:

What got you interested in watches, anyways?

17. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I always liked them, I just didn't know much about them. When I started to research them I found a place called Timezone.com. I spent a solid 2 years on that forum and learned a lot. Most importantly, I learned watch collectors treat their watches like the family jewels. That's a good thing because you can buy their used watches at a steep discount off retail, but, they are all in "like new" condition. It's saved me thousands of dollars.

As an example, the retail price of a new Rolex Submariner model #16610 in an authorized dealer is $6,000 plus tax. On Timezone there are at least 5 selling between $3,450 and $3,850. That $2,000 can come in really handy in my pocket rather than a jewelry store owners register.

18. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Obviously, Plaxico does, but he puts holes in himself, not paper.:lol::lol::lol:

• Like Like x 1
  19. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I wonder how long it will be before Obama changes this back?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081206/D94T9LGG1.html

20. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    My wife wants a purse gun. Does anyone have a recommendation? I was leaning towards a Sig P230. She has pretty small hands so this looks like the right size.

21. Game123

Game123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    That's a great little gun. I have one myself. Its easy to clean as well as to shoot. Its based upon the Walther PPK... the 'James Bond' gun.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Your hero Ronald Reagan put this in place.

I have no problem with gun owners - I have plenty & have no intention of giving any up. Nonetheless, I see no need to carry them into a nat'l park.

23. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I may try the PPK because it is around $100.00 bucks cheaper than the Sig for stainless, but I'm still looking. It looks like the Sig P230 has been replaced with the P232. :icon_shrug: Anyway, I can't get over how many gun web sites are out of stock.

24. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0

I had a PPK and sold it because the slide would "bite" me when it cycled after discharge. It happened fast enough that I didn't really feel it, but, I bled like an S.O.B.

I'd look to one of the S&W Airlight revolvers in .38. They are small, light and there is virtually no chance that they will malfunction. Unless she's worried about a protracted gun battle the 5 rounds in a Smith should do nicely. You can add Crimson Trace laser grips as well if she would feel more comfortable with them.

If you go with a semi-auto I would look towards the Walther P99c-AS. I had one and really liked it. It's one of the pistols I regret selling. They are small, light, reliable and accurate. They also have interchangeable back straps to help fit them to any size hand.

[​IMG]

If money were no object, this is the gun I would carry(H&K P7M8)

[​IMG]

25. Game123

Game123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0

There's a gun show at the Del Mar Fairgrounds this Saturday and Sunday if you're a local. If not... SOL.:flag:

26. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I'm SOL and cold.