1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Asomugha on Chargers' radar

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Asomugha on Chargers' radar - SignOnSanDiego.com

There has been discussion at Chargers Park about the team possibly going after All-Pro cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha now that he will become a free agent.

Indications are – and this will shock no one – that the Chargers making a big play to sign Asomugha is a longshot. However, the talk has been serious enough to mention.

There is a belief that Asomugha, who has made some $38 million over the past three seasons, will put winning ahead of another bank-breaking contract. His deal in Oakland voided after he did not reach any likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010, and his eight seasons with the Raiders included a 37-91 record with no winning seasons.

Norv Turner was Asomugha’s head coach in 2004 and ’05 and has gone against him at least once every year since. He thinks highly of Asomugha as a person and, as does everyone, a player.

While numerous other teams – the Philadelphia Eagles reportedly chief among them -- are likely to be willing to pay more than the Chargers, the idea of playing for a winning team in San Diego might be a strong selling point.

The issue, even more than the possible monetary investment, would be what to do with the Chargers’ current cornerbacks.

It’s not as if they’re a bad duo, even if Asomugha would give them (and almost every team) an upgrade.

Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason combined to allow just 95 receptions on 184 passes. That 51.9 percent burned rate was seventh among the league’s starting corner tandems.

Talk about Jammer moving to safety is something that was fueled by Jammer as he looked toward the end of his career. It is not something the team is considering for 2011. More likely would be moving Cason to free safety and (if they can keep him) Eric Weddle to strong.

Cason had a fantastic season in his first year as a starter (allowing just 51 percent of the 104 passes his way to be completed, finishin tied for seventh in the NFL with 17 passes defended and leading the Chargers with four interceptions). He would almost certainly be averse to moving to a position he’s not accustomed to and generally pays less to its top performers.

Discussion of Asomugha to the Chargers is more than speculative. Those who decide and implement such moves have talked about. But, all things considered, it’s probably just barely more relevant than that.
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Damn it

The only purpose this article will serve is to get people's hopes up and increase the "Chargers are too cheap to care about winning" complaints when he signs elsewhere.
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I'll believe that it is a reasonable possibility the day I see a money with wings coming out of it's ***. Until then, it is just another BS article by Kevin Acee
  5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Dean said money is not a problem in terms of signing big free agents this year. Let's hope for something big to happen this offseason and I'm not talking about just Asomugha
  6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    If it is Asomugha, it better not be JUST Asomugha
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    While this is just a rumor right now so take it with a grain of salt, here's a few reasons to be optimistic
    1) This is the first time I've heard of the Chargers being connected to a major free agent since 2003
    2) The Chargers just by debating this are showing signs of seriously softening their hardcore stance against signing free agents
    3) This would bring us a major playmaker which is something we've lacked since 2008.
    4) It could lead to a strengthening of our backfield especially if it means Jammer moves to safety.
  8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 7 / -1
    I say BS. No chance Aso becomes a Bolt. Not big enough a need. We need an impact ILB/DL/OL. Were we to go after him what would that say to Cason?, what's this about moving him to safety, whose arse was that plucked out of. Jeeeeeez. Bring on sun nite.
  9. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 2 / -1
    Maybe its true!
  10. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 2 / -1
    Jammer might be moved to safety to prolong his career. He has played some games there for the Chargers due to injuries in the past if I'm not mistaken.

Finding a way to get Jammer, Cason and Asomugha on the field at once would immediately increase our big play ability next year!
  11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 19 / -5
    Is AJ still the GM of the chargers? If so then this shouldn't be a issue. We won't be getting Asmougha period.

/Thread.
  12. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Won't happen, and Weddle to SS is foolish. Jammer can hit, I can see him moving there, but Weddle couldn't knock grandma outa her socks. Weddle is a good fit at FS, Jammer has interesting potential at SS.

But that just isn't a 2011 priority, too many bigger holes to fill.
  13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 19 / -5
    I would like it if they brought in a good DE from free agency maybe a Seymour or something. I think he's a free agent.
  14. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    Getting Asomugha would be a great move, Cason to safety would work out just fine maybe the tight ends would be slowed down a bit.
  16. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +45 / 1 / -0
    I wouldn't be surprised if this comes to fruition... but Acee reporting this like it should be a surprise is somewhat stupid.

The Chargers should be looking at and discussing all potential FA's. Does it mean it's always feasible to sign them under their salary structure and or philosophy-- no.
  17. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I guess AJ is also the GM of 30 other NFL teams because they won't be getting Asomugha either.
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    ^^^ This.
  19. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, no ****. We have other needs too, Dean. Adding one elite cornerback does not put us back into contention next year.
  20. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings Received:
    +219 / 1 / -0
    Agree 100% about the priority. We need a pass rush among other things and the CB position is one of our better groups right now on defense.
  21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I agree it would have to be Jammer, but the article says Cason would be the one moving, which makes no sense to me
  22. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    sOUNDS GREAT d'S WIN sb'S. jAMMER SHOULD PLAY SAFETY ALSO.
  23. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +772 / 5 / -0
    Yes, let's sign him before gets picked up by another team. He would be a great asset and we could use that type of leadership. I'm sure we can get him for a reasonable price, only a few million...
  24. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    anyone who says "CB is not a need " must missed the Bungels vs the Chargers cuz Jammer was getting burned all day by ROOKIE WRs!!!!:mad::censored::censored::banghead:
  25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 7 / -1
    I'd love to see Jam tried out at SS. He has never played there for SD. Dunno bout Texas?. Acee was saying 'CASON' could move to FS, as far as I know this is the first ever mention of he moving to FS. He played some nickel his first couple of years, it's clear his best position to me is on the corner. It'd be great if the Jam move worked to have Aso and Cason manning the corners but it ain't gonna happen. I'll say it again not highest priority position imho.
  26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    exactly, because one game is more telling than an entire season or career.
  27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    By that logic we also need a new quarterback because Rivers also had a bad day against the Bengals.
  28. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Corner-backs are the most important position on D in today's game. U can stack D linemen to make up for talent on the los. U cannot afford to just let Wr's burn u play after play though. Sign him asap. In fact if u can trust your CB's then u can do very exotic tricks on D which give u a huge edge in the game.
  29. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    You can have the best Corners on earth, but if there's no passrush and pressure on the QB it won't matter. Gotta put more heat on opposing QB's! We need an impact passrusher!
  30. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Such as?