1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ride The Lightning, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,545 / 7 / -2
    Go see it in 3d immediately.

Thank me later.

Movie of the year.
  2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings Received:
    +1,703 / 0 / -0
    I'm going... :tup:
  3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings Received:
    +494 / 0 / -0
    What I don't get is why horizontal drilling, a current technology that doesn't interfere with the surface above, wasn't used to get the minerals. I haven't seen the movie yet, but maybe my question will be answered.

edit: horizontal drilling, not vertical drilling DUH
  4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    Awesome film. Watched in IMAX 3D @ Plaza Bonita. :tup:
  5. Astro Zombie

Astro Zombie BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    because that would make sense.

Just like it's the year 2356546 or whatever and they have the technology to travel the depths of space, and create a living entity that a human being can control with his mind. Yet, repairing a spine (something we're getting closer and closer too) is way too expensive of a treatment.

You've seen it all before in the plot and story, the villains are terribly cliche, but it's still entertaining as hell and fun. I really do recommend seeing it, so long as you see it in IMAX 3-D.
  6. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +207 / 0 / -0
    Horizontal drilling....is that a euphemism for getting laid in the missionary position?

That said...Not to suspend your disbelief when going to see a cartoon makes no sense...how can one ask rational questions of something that by its very nature is fantasy.
  7. Astro Zombie

Astro Zombie BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This is the nerd in me about to really come out, but the whole time watching this movie I was hoping that J.J. Abrams films the next Star Trek flick in this same 3D format. That would be sick.
  8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings Received:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Saw it at the IMAX 3D in SF. It is entertaining and has great eye candy but that is where it ends. Don't go see it for the story line as it is very predictable.

It meets many of the "Dude Criteria"

Visual Eye Candy
    **** blowing up
    Hawt Alien
    Violence
    Hi-Tech ****
  9. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings Received:
    +494 / 0 / -0
    lol "Hi-Tech ****" sounds good to me
  10. Astro Zombie

Astro Zombie BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, Cameron was very lazy in the story telling. His foreshadowing which was like every other scene weren't subtle hints but SMACK IN THE FACE THIS IS WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. Not too mention, the story itself has been told a thousand times.

I like how deep he reached in creating an Alien language. When Sully was going from tribe to tribe to rally them to war, I'm 99% the female Chief yelled "Mazel Tov!" for her war cray.
  11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,545 / 7 / -2
    Keep in mind, althought the story is not oscar caliber writing, this movie was made for EVERYONE, not just us ultra scifi nerds, but for your kids, your moms and dads, brothers and sisters as well.

I found nothing wrong with the very generic story. This movie is all about THE SPECTACLE of it all, groundbreaking visual effects, ect. The story was more than passable to me and my daughter (mr. scifi nerd and spawn), but more importantly, it was loved by my not so sci fi wife.

One thing to remember when seeing a movie or reading a book, the seven basic plots to all stories.
  12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Most Sci-fi movies do not have gripping stories. Hell Star Wars without the effects would be a horrible movie. District 9, same, it would be slow in many places to the point most people would stop watching.

The visual aspect of movies is what sets directors apart. Anyone can point a camera and an actor, but the great directors get the rught angle, lighting etc...

Can anyone say they have ever seen anything like the illuminated jungle scenes of Avatar? I never did and I love that stuff.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea. I get that, but when you consider the new methods and technology this movie has developed, I believe history will consider it a true pioneer, or ground breaking movie when all is said and done.
  13. Astro Zombie

Astro Zombie BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Don't disagree at all, I was thoroughly entertained. Totally worth the price of admission.

But as someone who appreciates the craft of writing, I always going to call it out whether I loved the movie as an entire package or not.

yeah
  14. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Great movie but James Camron is a Lib Enviro wackjob tool!

He is complaining about DVD's not being carbon neutral when he releases like three or fore special edition DVD's for all his movies.
  15. NorwayBolt

NorwayBolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The 3D and effects are great, but the story is told a million times before...