1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Balls / Birds / Nov 25th

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Pointyearedog, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +772 / 5 / -0
    Okay, this should eliminate any confusion. Unless no one really cares.

Balls - Anyone? Bueller?

Birds - Our medical staff.
  2. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +447 / 2 / -1
    Balls:

Liuget - Just a straight up beast
    Reyes - Still playing well for a rookie
    Cason - I know he sucked a lot but I have to give him a ball for covering Torrey Smith downfield deep and making a play
    Wright - Played alot more this week and starting to show what he could be
    Harris and Hadnot - Not a great game but they deserve a ball when compared to the dudes on the right side
    Mathews - Gets a ball for some tough running and for not putting his foot up Norv calling 3 pass plays with 4 minutes to go (Even though McMichael dropped a first down pass)
    Rivers - Not a great game but no bonehead picks and he threw the ball away when he had no play, moving in the right direction
    Carr - 3 or 4 punt catches with no drops, forgot what that was like.
    Scifres - Just great punting even though he has a massive swollen bruise on his kicking leg
    DX - Made some solid catches. Took a cheap *** shot from Pollard and got up and kept going. Like this kid. Didn't know much about him and I find that he led the NCAA in receiving yards as a senior in Missouri (1700+ yards on 113 catches and 14td's) Hope his knees stay solid.
    Long Snapper #42 - Don't even know his name, but dude snapped pretty solidly even though he had never made a snap in a pro game before

Birds:

Jammer - Shady Acres retirement home awaits thee
    Clary (aka "Da Turnstyle") - Thought he couldnt possibly do worse than invite Von Miller to kill Philip. I was wrong. Just a travesty that he wasnt pulled and replaced by a waterboy or cheerleader.
    Vasquez - I am one of the few who thinks this kid could be something without having to bail out Clary but he just got pushed around today.
    Norval - Stupid, Stupid play calling. 4 minutes left and you pass 3 times??? 3rd and long a bunch today, 3 times you threw to a crossing route with no one going deep to pull a safety. Do you even understand that with both safeties in, all the corners in, all the linebackers in, that it is impossible to do anything with a crossing route? Once again you basically stoppend running in the 4th quarter even though the run game was starting to show some life and Mathews was running hard and making plays. I just don't know what wrong with your thought process but I'm done with you as a HC, OC, or even a waterboy. Just want you off my team.
    Everyone on the field on 4th and 29 - Welcome to the hall of shame. You guys should write a letter apologizing to every season ticket holder for that play alone.
    The Zebras - Yes the play should have never been that close but just a horrible spot on the Ray Rice run. You cost us the game. Oh wait it was 4th and 29 and should never have been that close!

Time to start the rookies and new guys for the rest of the season and see what we got.:

Start:
    LT - Mike Harris
    LG - Mike Troutman
    C - David Molk
    RG - Dombo (See how he pulls off guard)
    RT - Charlie Bryant
    QB - Clipboard (Hey you wouldnt want Rivers behind these guys right???)
    WR - DX
    WR - Mike Willie
    WR - TuTu
    TE - Ladarius Green
    RB - Mathews (Needs all the reps he can get)
    FB - McClain (Got no other)

DE - Liuget
    NT - Thomas
    DE - Reyes
    OLB - Ingram
    OLB - Phillips
    ILB - Mouton
    ILB - DB
    CB - Wright
    CB - Gilly
    FS - Stuckey
    SS - Taylor

Get these guys some good experience. Obviously were not gonna bounce all of our starters, but rotating these guys in and getting them some solid work would be more beneficial to our future then throwing the same crap out there every week.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +164 / 4 / -1
    Balls:

DC John Pagano – 4th & 29 pickup notwithstanding, the defense once again did a yeoman’s job, only to spend the majority of the 2nd half on the field and eventually succumbing because our offense produced but a mere field goal in the final 3 Quarters of the game (including overtime)

Philip Rivers – Did all he could and didn’t turn the ball over despite being sacked 6 times, and harassed all day.

Demorrio Williams – Our co-leading tackler with 10, nine of them solo to include a tackle for loss.

Ryan Mathews – Rushed for 72 yards on 17 carries, still isn’t being used enough IMO.

Corey Liuget – Was beasting all day, got a sack & another tackle for loss on a 4th & 1 play.

Malcom Floyd – 4 catches for 65 yards and another touchdown.

Corey Lynch – Filled in admirably after Atari Bigby went down, the other leading tackler with 10, eight of them solo to include a tackle for loss.

Denario Alexander – Our leading receiver on the day, with 74 yards on 5 catches.

Bird:
    Norv Turner – As usual, our offense just goes to sleep in the 2nd half and we subsequently blow yet another double digit lead. Part of the reason our offense struggles is the lack of a credible running game, Ryan Mathews is our best back who has a 4 yard per carry average this year (4.5 for his career) and he should be getting at least 25 carries a game.

We are just inventing different ways to lose ballgames because you are clearly overmatched as an NFL Head Coach, no matter who is on the other sideline and how long they’ve been doing it at this level.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 7 / -1
    Balls - the D in general but special mention for Reyes and Liuget. We have 2 stud D linemen, now let's go get ourselves some corners and a SS.
    Scifres is a legend already.

Birds - the O line AGAIN. Every single week these guys go to show that you can in fact play worse than is imaginable. I give Harris some credit for trying and even winning some one on ones but the other 4 can gtfo.

While Gilchrist looks like he might become something, the angle he took on the 4th and 29 was something to behold. Rice was his to take down and he whiffed massively. But since the season was already over (imho when we blew the 24 zip lead against Denver) I'll give him a mulligan.

Gates.......... where are you?, are you seriously this 'done'?, I thought this was the healthiest you've been?
    Meachem..... same question $29m for this?, even Castillo got on the field while he raped the Chargers of that money.
    Gaither...ditto. Yes I know he is on IR but for me he has been dogging it all year. I say cut him and go OT with our top pick in 2013, else go after Jake Long.
  5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I just want to say that the left side allowed as many sacks as the right. Also, Hadnot allowed the most horrible bullrush sack I've seen since Merriman owned a Colts' guard to punk Manning in 2005.

I thought that Rivers played extremely well in spite of the endless sacks, also.
  6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    BIRDS!

To everyone that was on the field for the 4th and 29

Norv

For the 5th time this entire season we have scored 7 points OR less in the second half
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Balls

Corey Liuget - never been so happy to be wrong in my life about a draft pick
    Kendall Reyes - nothing against Martin who's been playing well, but Reyes is making him obsolete
    Philip Rivers - no mistakes, keeps getting up after a constant beating from his OL. Waiting for the day he goes Mel Gibson rant like on his OL
    Mike Scifres - guy has guts and a cannon like leg
    Butler/Weddle - they're always here
    Shareece Wright - more I see of him the more I like him

Birds

Norv Turner - do I need another reason?
    the OL - do I need to say why?
    Pagano - Though his defense did well they again cracked at the end and the 4th & 29 needs a scapegoat. Plus hwy was Jammer ever on Smith?
    Jammer - I'm sorry its time to go
    Cason - see above
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,532 / 7 / -2
    Balls - Ravens, the fans who show up and continue to make a ton of noise despite the team constantly letting us down
    Birds - Chargers
  9. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +447 / 2 / -1
    Yah, same amount but the ones the right side gave up were like turnstyles. Almost non-existant protection. The left side at least held there blocks for a second or two. I was at the game though and did not pick up the bull rush you speak of and I am not crazy enough to put myself through the kind of torture it would be to watch it again so I will give you that one.
  10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I wouldn't give Pagano a bird. He held an explosive offense with 5 playmakers on offense to 16 points in 5 quarters. I don't think that you can give him a bird for getting the kind of production he did out of our corners. They were in position to make a lot of plays, and simply didn't make any of them, that's not on Pagano (the 54 yd RAC by Smith comes to mind among others)

Also, I don't think that Reyes/Liuget make Martin obsolete. I think they make him a critical level of depth and rotational talent. He's not at their level, but he plays very well, and is a quality investment giving returns.
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    I have to give someone a bird for that ridiculous play and by default its Pagano. I agree he's done very well over the last few weeks and I don't even necessarily blame him for his defense getting burned out at the end of the game. However someone must get a bird for it and it's Pagano.

Re Martin, he's an FA this year. Don't imagine he stays at the end of the year and the Chargers should feel confident about not needing him with two very good DEs in Reyes & Liuget. That's the basis of my statement
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    Martin is solid D-line veteran depth, we'll keep him if for no other reason than we don't want to create more holes in the 53 man roster than we already have.

Fixing this **** pile will be daunting enough for John Spanos.
  13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I just have a hard time giving anyone a bird for a tired defense allowing a big play against an elite RB who was assisted by probably the most epic downfield block of the season. If Boldin doesn't make that block on Weddle, the play is over.

Our DBs covered their receivers for 5 seconds, our 4 rushers got some pressure even against 6 blockers, and Rice made an amazing cut and stiff arm to get separation and pick up the remaining 10 yards of the run.

I think that the defense was prepared, in position, and executed properly. I don't think that you can blame Pagano for an amazing play by Rice, a great block by Boldin, and a generous spot by the referees.
  14. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    Worst O-line I've seen us put out in my time as a Charger fan. Can't run block or pass block effectively. To quote the legendary Smash Williams - "I seen my grandaddy make better blocks playing checkers!"