1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Balls & Birds?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Pointyearedog, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +767 / 5 / -0
    Do we even need one?
  2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Bird: Dean Spanos. Sell the team, ************.
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Balls:
    Rivers, for getting up like a boss after his line let him down for the billionth time and just going over and congratulating the Denver players.
    Weddle, that's real talent
    Front-7 other than Spikes, amazing game today, but he shouldn't be in on passing downs
    Scifres, such a professional
    Pagano, amazing defense against Manning. 14 net points allowed, absolutely dominant.

non-accolades: Mathews. He was neither good, nor bad.

Birds:
    Everyone else.
  4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 7 / -1
    Balls - the defense apart from Cason and Bigby, Danario Alexander and Ladarius Green (he's a keeper)

Birds - O line... again. AJ, Norv and Dean. The 3 amigos.
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    Balls

Danario Alexander - if he stays healthy he's the perfect addition to this WR corps.
    Eric Weddle - nothing more needed to be said
    Melvin Ingram - doesn't show up in stats but he was getting alot of pressure
    Donald Butler - see Weddle
    Mike Scifres - got testicles the size of grapefruit
    Shareece Wright - really impressed in little time I saw him
    Marcus Gilchrist - think he played a fantastic game and was a beast blitzing
    the DL - until they just got purely worn out, they played very very well

Middle

Rivers - Makes moronic mistakes but the guts and the fortitude to keep getting up, being fired up and continuing to play deserves a little respect. Don't like the results, question the thought process, can't fault the heart and the desire

Birds

The OL - Dear God
    AJ for letting the WR/OL get this bad - Dear God x2
    Norv Turner - offensive genius must be defined as running ineffective game plan with a sleeve of an OL
    Dean Spanos - for letting things get to this point
    Antonie Cason - see him getting beat by Thomas in corner of endzone for TD, then see Wright prevent the same thing....your time is at an end
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Heir Coryell

Heir Coryell BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Balls :
    Darrell Stuckey - that guy is always first on tackles, he made a heck of an effort to tackle got up and back to strip ball on one return - as good as Osgood ever was
    Donald Butler - consistent play maker - can't resign him fast enough - what's the holdup AJ? waiting for the ProBowl and get priced out of the market I guess
    Philip Rivers - Yeah, I know but he hangs in there....everywhere around the league where QBs are getting killed because of OL they are all out, concussed, or lost their job ....Philip may have happy feet, but he is gutting it out.....he doesn't have one play where he has time like I see other QBs have
    Danario Alexander - gotta give credit where it is deserved - where did AJ find this guy and who knew he would be this good....slam AJ for a lot wrong, but he got this one right
    Kendall Reyes - absolutely blew up plays - Luiget, Butler, Weddle, Ingram.....a lot to be excited about here

Birds:
    Norv - Offensive genius....really?...say what you want about the talent being subpar - this is a guy who is supposed to put people in the right place to be successful - fail
    AJ - this OL sucks in technicolor - quit drafting skill positions and add OL building blocks...skill guys do nothing w/o blocking ...duh
    Dean - I've spent thousands of dollars in tickets, merch, and the sunday ticket in the last few years. I do my part, now it's time to do yours Dean - hold people accountable and announce that Norv is done and get the jump on a new coach....the entire fan base may just have a point with the eyeball test that Norv ain't the answer. The team may play hard for Norv, but this is results based and the results look inept
  7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I think that Norv got a reputation in Dallas that he didn't deserve. I think he was an offensive "genius" in so far as he was able to build an offense that was amazingly effective because his players were better than everyone else's. I saw Schlereth taking about a Thanksgiving Day game they played against the Cowboys in the 90s and when he was talking about their offense he said something to the effect of, "we didn't have one guy on our offense who could start on their team."

I think that when we had the best LG in football, the best TE in football, a top 10 WR, a top 5 QB, a top 10 LT, a top 10 C, and an Elite-still great but slower RB, that Norv's offense worked. I think that what we saw in 2010 was that Rivers was still able to QB effectively behind a respectable o-line in spite of a less-than-epic running game and diminished receivers, and that what we've seen the last two years is that when Rivers has no receivers and no line, he gets owned (surprise, surprise).

I think that what we're most likely to experience in the coming seasons is going to be a reinvestment in the O-line, rather than additions to the WR corps. I think that Floyd is worth retaining, and that we can probably get by with Floyd and Brown, with Alexander being a nice addition if he can stay healthy. Meachem and Royal are probably busts, but who can really say. We're very lucky in that other than being somewhat weak on the back end (and judging by Gilchrist and Wright's play on Sunday that is actually looking up), so that our defense looks to be in a good place going forward.

The bad news is, our team is horribly broken, but the good news is, this is something that can probably be fixed in 1-2 offseasons with proper investment in the line/passrushers/CBs, and this team can be back in the playoffs as a legitimate contender.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Balls

To the defense, for awhile I thought they were the only ones who were to put up points on the board!

Birds!

Norv, AJ and Spanos

Bisaccia

he is our ASST Head Coach, and if he doesnt figure out how to protect Scifres, we are going to lose another Special Teams player!
  9. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    The D played well most of the day, but I CAN NOT GIVE A BALL TO A DEFENSE THAT GAVE UP a 4th & 29 with the game on the line! They SUCKED!

Offense all BIRDS. Rivers gets a sparrow...he did better throwing the ball away instead of a pick 6...so it is a small bird.
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Balls -
    Philip Rivers - Not his fault our offense sucked today, I was happy he didn't turn the ball over once despite getting flushed and having all his receivers double covered multiple times.

Corey Liuget - Best player on our defense, including Weddle.

Birds -
    The usual's - Norv, O-line, CBs. And where the **** was Antonio Gates?
  11. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +767 / 5 / -0
    Isn't this last week's thread?
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    Yes....Deja vu...all over again!
  13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +767 / 5 / -0
    Yeah, I created the thread. I guess all I have to do is change the date, same results.
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    Maybe we should be ecomologically friendly and just reuse the same thread?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,531 / 7 / -2
    Not a bad idea considering from here on out they're all gonna have the same results, Chargers find a way to choke, a couple guys have nice games, someone screws the pooch and cost us a big play or 2, ect. Broken record every week.
  16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    Not to mention it's almost always the same people on the Balls (Liuget, Butler, Weddle, Alexander, Phillips) and on the Birds (the CBs, the OL, Norv, AJ)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    last week there was no mention of the 4th and 29 situation and Rivers did throw a interception.