1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

BC Guard Ryan Poles - Super Sleeper?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by MtlBoltsFan, Apr 16, 2008.

1. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Remember how I pulled Arizona RB Mike Bell out of my rear a couple of years ago?

This year I am pulling Boston College offensive lineman Ryan Poles out of my rear, although we will likely have to be patient for him to fully recover from his injury to see the results.

Here is absolutely all the internet information on him available, suffice it to say he was the "glue guy" for Boston College this past year until he got injured, then the offensive line fell apart. He was an elite recruit and has quietly played very solid football his entire college career.

Things that stand out about Poles are his feet and balance. He is very light on his feet and sets with a wide base and uses his hands well. He has great fundamentals and you can tell he is a BC lineman. He plays with decent strength but is not dominant at the point of attack. He is more of a positional blocker. His forte is pass protection and he projects as a guard. He was really an exceptional pass protector in college. He has the frame to add more weight. I do not think for a second he will step right in and contribute year one but two, two and a half, three years down the road something like that... he might surprise and get playing time in the NFL and contribute in a positive way. Not bad for someone who is almost certainly going to be a UDFA. We will see though.
  2. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    [​IMG]

Ryan C. Poles

Accurate height and weight: 6'4 312 lbs

b. September 20, 1985

2006 Season
    A second-generation BC football player, Ryan's father, Junior Poles, was a three-year starter for BC (1979-82) and also wore the number 72...started all 13 games at left guard ...paved the way for seven 100-yard rushing games and a collective 1,424 rushing yards by L.V. Whitworth and Andre Callender.
    ----------
    Allowed 1 sack in his sophomore season (6 games played)
    Allowed 1 sack in his junior season (13 games started)
    Averaged 2.6 pancake blocks a game as a junior

Star basketball player in highschool - school record holder for blocked shots
    ----------
    [​IMG]

4 star Rivals.com prospect

#3 ranked OT in the 2003 rivals class

Recruited by Boston College, Georgia, Ohio State, Tennessee
    ----------
  3. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Interview with Ryan Poles

Luke Nicholson: Who is your biggest role model? Why?

Ryan Poles: My father has a lot of knowledge in the game of football, as well as life. He gave me the quote, "You got to go thru something to be something." I live by that especially now because these minor set backs just build character, as well as make you a stronger person.

Luke Nicholson: What is your greatest football moment to date?

Ryan Poles: Clemson in 2006, winning at home in double over-time, pulling and having L.V. Whitworth follow me in for the game winning touchdown.

Luke Nicholson: What sports did you participate in during high school and how have they helped you to become a better player on the football field?

Ryan Poles: Basketball helped my footwork, as well as athletic ability.

Luke Nicholson: How is you Achilles injury and are you afraid that it will cause some scouts to overlook you?

Ryan Poles: The injury is healing extremely fast and well. I'm already jogging and doing plyometrics close to full speed. I have one of the best doctors looking over my injury in Dr. Andrew out of Alabama, as well as great rehab people within the Competitive Edge Sports facility.

Luke Nicholson: What role did you play after you suffered the injury and could no longer help the team by being on the field?

Ryan Poles: I just tried to be a supporter and help scout the defensive personal for my Offensive Lineman.

Luke Nicholson: Are scouts planning to work you out at offensive tackle, as well as guard? How do you feel about the possibility of a position change?

Ryan Poles: I will play any position a team wants. Actually, when I couldn't move much because of the injury, I practiced the center position with shotgun snaps and under center snaps. All position are similar just each has a little obstacle you have to over come like being in space as a tackle, getting movement on a 350 pound DT as a guard, and punching a NG whose lined up on your snap hand as a center. I'm willing and able to play any position on the line.

Luke Nicholson: Who is the best player you have faced during your career?

Ryan Poles: B.J. Raji on my own team was the best DT I have ever faced. He's made me better. Tank Tyler of NC State is another.

Luke Nicholson: If you could have any super power, what would you choose? Why?

Ryan Poles: Super strength, as an offensive lineman my job would be easy to move people.

Luke Nicholson: What one thing do you have to work on the most to excel at the NFL level?

Ryan Poles: Strength. I feel like I have great feet and athletic ability, but I think if I can get really strong over the next few years, I could be a dominate offensive lineman in the NFL.

Luke Nicholson: What are you doing to prepare for your Pro Day?

Ryan Poles: In Atlanta, training with Chip Smith and Robby Stewart at Competitive Edge Sports.

Luke Nicholson: Is there a specific team you hope to play for?

Ryan Poles: Any team that gives me an opportunity because that's all I need.

Luke Nicholson: Are you a cat or a dog? Why?

Ryan Poles: Most people want to say dog, but if you take time to think about this question it's definitely a cat. Quick, Smart, Independent, plus they can get mean as hell.

Luke Nicholson: Why should a NFL team select you over other guards in this draft?

Ryan Poles: From Boston College, proven through history to have successful offensive lineman, we are taught to be smart but to carry a nasty attitude at all times while on the field.

Luke Nicholson: What are your plans for your career after football?

Ryan Poles: Coach or get into marketing.

Luke Nicholson: What is something unique about you that most people don't know?

Ryan Poles: I love to grill, as well as come up with new inventions.

Luke Nicholson: If you block for any NFL running back, who would you choose? Why?

Ryan Poles: Adrian Peterson, hardest running back I have ever seen. I respect running backs like that and it would be a pleasure to block for a running back who will eventually be the best running back of all time.

Luke Nicholson: Finish the following sentence: Ryan Poles is tougher than…

Ryan Poles: Any obstacle that comes his way.

Luke Nicholson: Thank you for your time, Ryan. The staff at FFLiveWire wishes you the best of luck in all of your NFL endeavors.
  4. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Testimonials:

-"Ryan is a buddy of mine and is a total class act. The team that drafts him will be lucky to have such a quality football player with quality character."

-"Ryan is an amazing young man and has worked so hard in rehab to get well."

"Great footwork and great quickness coming off the line. Ryan has worked hard and hopefully will get a chance to play pro ball."

"The 6-4, 310-pound junior saw plenty of time last season as both a tackle and guard. He's a great talent who can play either spot on the left side starting out at guard. (Going into 2006 season)"

I recall also nfldraftscout had him ranked before he was injured. It does, however, look like he is recovering VERY well...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PDaq20DU8ss&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PDaq20DU8ss&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
  5. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    [​IMG]

Dolphins | Poles works out for team
    Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:21:11 -0700

J.J. Pesavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports Boston College OL Ryan Poles did positional drills during a workout for the Miami Dolphins March 24.
  6. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    NFL | Poles still recovering from torn Achilles
    Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:18:06 -0700

J.J. Pesavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports Boston College OL Ryan Poles (Achilles') is recovering from a torn Achilles' tendon suffered during the 2007 season. He has been training and rehabbing for the past four months with Chip Smith at Competitive Edge Sports in Duluth, Ga. Dr. James Andrews has monitored his progress closely. He will be fully recovered from the injury before the start of the 2008 season. Dr. Andrews expects him to be ready for full participation shortly after the 2008 NFL Draft.
    ---------
    Matt Ryan on Ryan Poles going into the 2007 season:

"Ryan Poles, a senior left guard for us whose been a starter for two years, he’s played real well for us and really picked up the new system well."
    ---------
    "It took Ryan (Matt) only one play to tie the game. His scoring pass to Rich Gunnell was set up by a spectacular block by left guard Ryan Poles that allowed Ryan to roll left and throw back across the field. Gunnell's first career touchdown pass tied the game at 14-14 with 12:09 left in the half."
  7. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    So guys let's sum this up....

Amazing character kid
    Talented pass blocker
    Top recruit
    Growth potential
    Recovering very well from injury
    Has the "it" factor in terms of desire to succeed
    Great bloodlines (father played football)
    Basketball experience
    Boston College-bred
    Flying under the radar
    At least one NFL team has shown visible interest in him

=

:yes: