1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Big Personnel Changes across the NFL today

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by bombsaway, Oct 16, 2012.

1. bombsaway

bombsaway BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Eagles fire their defensive coordinator, Holmgren fired by the Browns.

Chargers headed into their bye week, what are the chances we see the Bolts making news with some major personnel changes?
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Slim, I wouldn't be surprised to see Norv get an extension at this point. I've said it before I truly believe Bissacia is our best option at HC at this point. Unfortunately Spanos doesn't see it that way.
  3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 2 / -0
    As close to zero as possible.
  4. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    You know what, I'd have loved to see either Ron Rivera or Rob Chudzinski get our head coaching gig.

Both are infinitely better leaders than Norv, funny how Rivers started slipping after Rob C left for Carolina, maybe Norv wasn't the brains of the outfit after all...
  5. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +42 / 4 / -0
    Ron Rivera I almost nutted UP!!!!
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,692 / 45 / -26
    Providing Gaither's groin improves enough over the bye to play, I'd bench Clary and move Harris to RT...... the position he played in college. I'd feel more confident going forward with Gaither and Harris as bookends. Maybe then, Rivers would stop wetting his pants.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
  8. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +30 / 1 / -0
    None. Journalists react, fans overreact but the bottom line is we are 3-3 going into a bye week and should be getting V Brown, Gaither, Shareece Wright, and Garay. The front 7 can cause damage and I too would like Clary on the bench and Harris in. With Matthews looking good and a healthy Gates the Chargers are still very much in this. Game management is the issue and Norv better be taking a hard look at himself in the mirror. He passed 23 times and ran 11 in the 2nd half yesterday.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Day1BroncoFan

Day1BroncoFan Broncotalker

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 4 / -0
    I hope you guys keep Norv around forever but he may not last much longer.

I was crying during the first half. I thought much like you do now after the second half.

Oh, and by the way, the season isn't over yet.
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,692 / 45 / -26
    No, it's not over, but the tough part of the Broncos schedule is over, and Manning is now rounding into shape. The head-to-head division tie breaker is in the Broncos favor, and the rematch will be played in Denver.

Things are looking up for Broncos fans....... it's the opposite for Chargers fans.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9

The main problem for the Broncos is a lack of experience playing together while installing a new system. This problem will solve itself as the season continues. The main problem for the Chargers is a lack of talent along the line and at CB. This will actually likely get worse as injuries force increasingly sub-standard players into these positions.
  12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    This coaching staff will ride out the season. Hopefully we can start with a clean slate next season and Cheapo Deano doesn't bring back someone currently on the staff for the cheap.
  13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Oh you can almost count on them going with the cheap guy. Bob Stoops said after his interview with the Chargers when Norv was hired, that Spanos will not pay to get a big name coach in here.
  14. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    Stoops was bitter and decided to run his mouth. Glad he wasn't hired.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,692 / 45 / -26
    So, you're saying that the Broncos are immune to injuries? ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    If Norv is fired will AJ go with him in protest? I like AJ and I would hate to see him leave. No matter how much of a dick he is has hes done fairly well. He has kept the salary cap in check.
  17. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I'm saying that if the Broncos have an injury they'll be on their backup and not on their backups backup, who apparently would just be any fat guy in the lower field section wearing a Charger jersey if another one of our O-lineman goes down.
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,692 / 45 / -26
    Losing Clary wouldn't be that big a negative, now would it? ;)
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    At this point I find it hard to believe that Hadnot is not an improvement in terms of run-blocking over Green or Vasquez.

I don't think our talent level is immense by any means, but I also don't believe this is a coaching staff that is prone whatsoever to putting the starting spots of those players who were starting from previous seasons in any kind of jeopardy. We really only see a "new starter" when the guy who began the season as starter goes down injured.

Not saying we don't see it, just that the cases when they do do it are the most bass-ackwards ones. Mathews was benched - or at least shown less touches and not made the starter - for his fumbles against Atlanta. That's fine, it's a fair precedent to set, but then uphold the damn precedent when Clary is routinely screwing up and getting Rivers plastered. Or when Green half-asses his run-blocks and trips over his own feet getting his RB lit up in the process. Or when Bigby is biting so hard on play-action week after week after week that we're giving up consistent long-bombs whenever he's left as the deep-third defender, then get Lynch or Stuckey in there because at least if those guys are getting beaten it's like it was with Gregory where they're actually competing to try and stop the reception, they're just getting beaten by superior athletes, as opposed to Bigby who is closer to the LOS than he is the point of the reception.
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Technically I think it's his more his staff with regard to the cap than him. I forget who it is without looking it up, but like most GM's he's got "a cap guy". The only reason I'm hesitant about scuttling AJ is for fear that all Dean and A.G. are going to do is promote Johnny Boy, as had been the plan for whenever AJ retired. We're then stuck with even more Spanos-strangulitis on this team than we are with AJ. AJ may toe Dean's line plenty, but he's enough of an ego-driven prick that he's still going to push through doing "his thing" at times.

I don't trust the Spanos family to go out and identify a great up-and-coming GM candidate - their M.O. is recycling guys that "once were," and sometimes those guys pan out like John Butler did, and sometimes those pan out like Beathard. Their attempt at trying to bring in an up-and-comer yields results like Steve Ortmayer (who trust me I know quite well considering he was the VP of Player Personnel who went along with Georgia Frontieri's strip-mining of the LA Rams, back when I was a kid and a Rams fan).

So, if I were to bet on it, if AJ was fired and the family went in another direction besides John Spanos as the new GM, we'd likely be looking at another of the once-were's as candidates like Floyd Reese, Jerry Angelo, Ron Wolf, Marty Hurney (if the Panthers let him go), or Terry Donaghue. I could throw Billy Devaney in there too since he's "Chargers family" but not the good kind. There are some good, mostly bad in that bunch.

Also, I highly doubt Dean's going to sign off on a coach/GM as a single entity - for one it eliminates a rung which would separate him and the family from direct blame if failure occurs and for another, it's likely to severely limit what kind of "power" they can give John. Only way I could see it happening is if they make John VP of Player Personnel and give the HC the GM title, but ultimately he still answers to John, and hence the family.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Thank you. It's tiresome correcting experts.
  22. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    Billy dDevaney is the cap guy... Great write.. I couldn't agree more.
  23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    By the way that "cap guy," I just remembered is (Ed) McGuire; the guy is the point-man on all contract negotiations and has a background in labor negotiations.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    The problem with AJ is that nobody in the league wants to deal with him. San Diego should have no problem bringing in some of the better free agents. Yet all he is able to get is the journeyman level castoffs. The good coaches leave, but we never get quality replacements to replace them as we always seem to hire from within.
  25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
  26. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,687 / 39 / -8
    10. This is almost a guarantee: The entire Chargers front office and coaching staff will get blown up after the season. It doesn't matter if the team just makes the postseason. The Chargers need to get to at least a title game. This isn't speculation. This is what I'm hearing from extremely nervous people inside the organization. There's almost a recklessness in the air after that horrendous loss to Denver on Monday night.
    Norv Turner deserves a great share of blame, sure. Great coordinator, ineffective head coach. And by ineffective, Turner is almost Ray Handley-like.
    The real issue with the Chargers, however, is at the top of the franchise. A.J. Smith has been as bad a GM as Turner is a head coach. It was Smith who fired Marty Schottenheimer after the coach went 14-2 in 2006. That firing symbolizes the recent Smith era: losing talent and failing to replace it. He lets players go (and doesn't replace that talent level) or he angers them to the point where it disrupts the team. Wide receiver Vincent Jackson was a beast in that San Diego offense and now he's in Tampa. Jackson was no angel off the field, but obliterated defenses on it. Who scares defenses now among that receiving group?Robert Meachem?
    Look at other top general managers around the sport and what they do. The Giants lose massive talent and replace it. The Ravens lose massive talent and replace it. The Patriots. Hell, even the Bengals have done a better job than the Chargers.
    Do you think the reason the Chargers have gone from 13-3 in 2009 to 9-7 in 2010 to 8-8 last year is all Turner's fault? That the team hasn't made the playoffs since 2009 is all Turner's fault?
    Turner will become the scapegoat for what's going to be another disappointing Chargers season -- check that, he already is the scapegoat. Smith has skated in the past while Turner was roasted like bovine over a campfire. That's going to change. We'll likely see a mass firing at the end of the Chargers' season that will include Smith, the man perhaps most responsible for creating this mess.

As I doubt we will make a championship game without new OL talent (though i think our DL can possibly keep us in some game and our schedule going forward isnt all that terrifying) I think we WILL see the house cleaned. Only issue is, the replacements possibilities leave me worried.

Rebuilding anyone?
  27. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Its not all Turners fault, he has to play the hand thats given to him. Now how they draft is another story because who knows how much everyone has a say in each draft pick. Coupled with the fact that we have to home grow this team because we do not seem to have the ability to sign some top notch free agents.

Now then did the Mannings have this organization pegged way back when?
  28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,531 / 7 / -2
  29. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,531 / 7 / -2
    • Like Like x 1
  30. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    The issue isn't just that the team is deficient in some areas; every team is short of the absolute best. The Chargers have clear deficiencies at OL & CB but have some strength at DL, LB, TE and (I think) RB. A good coach can accentuate the strengths and (to the best of his ability) hide the deficiencies. You can't protect for a long time you use quick passes, draws, etc. Your CBs can't cover well, you try to force the other team's QB into mistakes with pressure (which you clearly can do). That's what good coaches can do, and Norv is not one. The failure of the talent is on AJ but I frankly think he's made some improvements over the last few years with some of the players he's drafted/signed. Still he deserves some blame too and could be tossed out with the bath water
    • Agree Agree x 2