1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Big Personnel Changes across the NFL today

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by bombsaway, Oct 16, 2012.

1. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 3 / -0
    End all this pain & start fresh next year beginning at the top! I know it will take a few years but it's like watching a bad movie and you know how the ending happens.:cry:
  2. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    I think Spanos should do it now today with Norv.. be done and wipe that past clean of him. Promote a fresh face or even hire an outsider for the remainder of the season. Bring Marty back and see what happens,(only for the remainder of the season. It is just hypothetical so please keep your charger panties and bras clean).
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    We all need to hope for as much suck as possible so that we'll get the kind of organizational change that this team needs to be effective. Hopefully Rivers won't get a career-ending injury behind this O-line, but given that he's on pace to be sacked 48 times this season, I'm doubtful that that'll be the case. If you want to see why this team stopped making the playoffs after 2009, take a look at the sack numbers in each year and notice when they go above 30.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/5529/year/2006/philip-rivers
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    It's a nice thought, but Norv may be more clever than any of us gave him credit for. Look up and down the offensive staff - who exactly do you see with any kind of play-calling experience to take over those duties from Norv if he's let go? The only one that has any experience doing that in the past is Steve Fairchild, whose been with this team and been getting familiar with this offense only since May. I love Charlie Joyner to death, but the guy's not an offensive play-caller. Hal Hunter's a paper OC. We literally have NO ONE except Norv. And Spanos is a cheap SOB insomuch as he's not going to pay out the butt the kind of money it would take to get someone off the street to come in for what would be little more than a blind audition (and playing from well behind to boot). I don't believe it's within the rules to promote someone off another team's staff mid-season.

We're stuck with Norv till then end of the year, it's as simple as that. The man was responsible for hiring the staff he did, and he looks like he's ensured that if the team struggles he was going to ensure that his security blanket in being the only viable offensive play-caller on the staff would give him the full season to try and save his ***, as opposed to just the first swing of shitstorm.
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Where do I start? I don't have much time, so I'll try to make it short & sweet.

Rivers has ALWAYS been an immobile QB who threw a very good long ball. If you're going to choose that type of QB for your franchise, shouldn't you also build the team around him to fit that? Norv & Rivers are a good fit from that standpoint - the rub comes when you don't invest in the guys to protect a QB of that type. Norv likely has input as to what players are brought in, but we've all seen enough of AJ's ego to make a good assessment of where the final decision lies.

Norv isn't the best HC around, but he also has been dealt a cast that doesn't support the traits of his QB. Add to that a re-worked OL & you're spelling disaster. We'll see if the right adjustments are made after the bye. If they aren't, I'll have no further defense of Norv.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,753 / 47 / -26
    You mean Clary still starting, don't you? ;)
  7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    And playcalling
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,753 / 47 / -26
    I'd say decision making is a bigger issue than play calling....... especially in that last game.
  9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Yes, Rivers should of audabled to a run up the middle on every snap, considering how atrocious our O-line is.
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Yeah, that should solve it. :rolleyes:
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,753 / 47 / -26
    Just one example....... near the end of the 1st half, Gates ran a deep pattern down the middle that resulted in a INT. Was it a bad play call?....... No. What it was, was a bad decision by Rivers to throw to Gates, when he had a defender in his face.

Throwing deep when you're leaning on your back foot is NEVER a good idea. If you can't step into the throw, then you should never throw a deep ball. If Rivers wasn't under pressure, he could've made that throw, but that wasn't the case. Rivers needs to use his head..... he's making too many poor decisions lately.
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,753 / 47 / -26
    Hey, it's a start. ;)
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    If Gaither gets healthy, it's fairly simple - give Harris a shot where he played most of his college reps.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,753 / 47 / -26
    That was my point exactly.
  15. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    "Game over man, game over"
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    Are you for real? That's 100% idiotic.
    (Please realize that I'm not calling you an idiot, just your comment).
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,753 / 47 / -26
    But you wanted to. ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Doesn't it say something about our team when our QB is sacked 4 times in a game, and when talking about his picks we're saying that he should've taken a sack? Not that he should've thrown the ball to a different receiver, but that he should've taken a sack? How many times a game do we want Rivers to get sacked, 6, 7? He's already on pace to get sacked 48 times this year, if I were him I'd be throwing picks too, rather than trying to set the "getting sacked" record.
  19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    If it's a choice between turnover or sack then yes - take the frigging sack. Get down & protect the ball.

My preference would of course be to see him throw it away or make a play, but I damn sure don't want to see more turnovers.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Maybe he's hoping he'll get a helmet to the face and get a free pass out of it. Seems like that's the avenue opposing QBs are taking.

Anyway, I just feel bad for him. He's a SB caliber QB and a good person, and he's catching hell for his performance, although his linemen are letting him get obliterated over and over again. Anyway, if he had taken a sack he might've fumbled it and then it would still be his fault.

Like the Chargers, Rivers can't win as long as this line is incapable of consistently blocking anyone.
  21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I agree about Rivers & the obvious fact that the OL woes are a considerable cause for his issues. I just think it's far smarter to take the sack & have a chance to play the field position game than to risk a turnover. Silly me.
  22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    The way these defenders are coming through the line practically unblocked, I'm not even sure that taking a sack isn't riskier than throwing the ball off your back foot to a single-covered Gates. Before Gates was old and crippled that would've been a catch. Now it's a pretty damned if you do, damned if you don't proposition. I agree that it's better for the team if he doesn't turn the ball over, but shouldn't our receivers recognize that he's under duress and maybe play the ball in the air?
  23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    I can agree with most of your statement except one thing, can he count on the defense to make a stop with the game on the line??? It hasn't happened yet and they opened the flood gates on the opening drive of the second half and it all went to hell in a hand basket from there on out.
  24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    When I watch our team, I never feel like we can stop anyone or like we can move down the field. One thing I miss about 2006 (and this isn't Marty related, it's team talent related), was always feeling like our offense was always going to score, and that our defense could stop anyone. Our corners weren't exceptional, and our safeties were garbage, but the pressure from our front 7 was absurd, our interior LBs could cover and no one could run on us.
  25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    My point is, you don't blow up the whole damn thing over a couple games. Norv has been suspect here since day one and hasn't really improved as a sideline coach over the years even with the specially hired coaches to take some of the burden off. Game days still seem to be Helter Skelter and even worse when the shyte hit's the fan. I like Norv as a coach and the lack of good offensive linemen isn't helping him much. He just can't work the sideline and that isn't the fault of the player's or upper management, that's squarely on Norv.
  26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I'll take the chance on the defense over just handing the ball over with likely better starting position.
  27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    Either of us are in that position to make that decision in that moment of time. I can say I'd do 100 things differently, but that's just talk. So, what I want and what I get in regards to the Bolt's will never meet my expectations until they win a Lombardi. I'm also on record as such that I don't care how they do that, even if that includes what some may refer to as cheating.
  28. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 4 / -0
    1) Slim
    2) Fat
    3) None
  29. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,753 / 47 / -26
    Where did I say he should've taken a sack...... do you have a problem with reading comprehension? :confused:

There is such a thing as throwing the ball away, and living to make another play, rather than throwing a ball up for grabs.