1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

BoltHype Mock Draft v.3

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by underoath, Mar 14, 2007.

1. underoath

underoath BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    There are still many Pro Days ahead, so things will obviously change some. Assuming the draft was today, this is how I project the first round will end up:

1. Oakland - JaMarcus Russell, QB
    Russell solidified his status as the QB prospect with the highest ceiling. Raiders have shown strong interest and all indications are this is the pick for them.

2. Detroit - Brady Quinn, QB
    Quinn Would thrive in Mike Martz's pass-happy system. Needs to improve decision making and composure and would do well to sit behind Kitna for a year, much like Carson Palmer did in Cincinatti.

3. Cleveland - Adrian Peterson, RB
    Terrible running game (2nd worst in the NFL) gets instantly better with a Peterson/Lewis rushing attack. Combined with Kelen Winslow and Braylon Edwards, the Browns are looking to put together a scary offense by adding 'AD'

4. Tampa Bay - Calvin Johnson, WR
    The best overall player in the draft falls to Tampa Bay because the top 3 teams have needs elsewhere. One of the worst offenses in the league gets major help by adding Calvin Johnson.

5. Arizona - Joe Thomas, OT
    Perfect example where best player available and biggest need are one in the same. Thomas is off the board one spot from where D'brickashaw was taken last year.

6. Washington - Alan Branch, DT
    Alan Branch paired up with Cornelius Griffin would make running the ball on the Redskins a virtual impossibility. DT is obviously a major need and Branch is the best tackle prospect in the draft and an incredibly strong player.

7. Minnesota - Gaines Adams, DE
    Partial blame for their terrible pass defense was a lack of pressure on the QB. The best pure pass rusher in the draft is what this team needs, so they take Gaines Adams and keep him playing with his hand on the ground.

8. Houston - LaRon Landry, S
    His stock soared after an impressive combine. The Texans have needs all over the place, but they could certainly use help in the secondary and Landry is a legit top 10 pick. He helps them in a tough AFC South.

9. Miami - Leon Hall, CB
    Leon Hall makes a lot of sense for this team. Hall proved his speed at the combine and has shown to be a shut down corner. He is the best prospect at his postion and along with Jason Allen, would help the secondary make plays while Joey Porter and Jason Taylor provide the pass rush.

10. Atlanta - Jamaal Anderson, DE
    Losing Kearny to Seattle is a blow to an already thin D-line. Anderson has great potential and is a freakish athlete who helps provide a good pass rush as a 4-3 DE.

11. San Francisco - Adam Carriker, DT
    Carriker fits the Mike Nolan 3-4 perfectly. The 49ers are gearing up for a playoff berth in the NFC West, and Carriker is a blue-chip prospect who impressed at the Senior Bowl. Nolan coached the Senior bowl and knows first-hand what Carriker can do.

12. Buffalo - Marshawn Lynch, RB
    Buffalo let Willis McGahee go, and now has a big hole to fill. The Bills added some offensive linemen and also added Anthony Thomas to help in the run game. Lynch is the total package and makes sense for a team that scored only 9 TDs on the ground last year.

13. St. Louis - Amobi Okoye, DT
    The Rams need help up front and seem to like Okoye alot. Amobi is extremely young for an NFL prospect and there is no telling how good he will be in the future. Had one of the best performances at the Senior Bowl and came to the combine even bigger and stronger.

14. Carolina - Reggie Nelson, S
    If he doesnt get taken here, Reggie Nelson is gone by the time Jacksonville picks at 17. Nelson improved his draft stock by turning in a great Pro Day performance and showcasing great speed. The Panthers, like many teams, need a starting Safety and Nelson is the best on the board.

15. Pittsburg - Patrick Willis, LB
    With good value at DE in the second round, the Steelers can go with the best linebacker prospect in Patrick Willis. 3-4 or 4-3, Willis fits in both schemes inside. Highly productive and extremely tough, Willis is exactly what Pittsburg represents.

16. Green Bay - Greg Olsen, TE
    Filling a major need, Olsen is an able blocker but a far better reciever. Really the only first round TE prospect, the Pack could use a guy like Olsen to work mid-field and create match-up problems. Olsen also has the speed to get deep and comes from a great pedigree of Miami Tight Ends.

17. Jacksonville - Michael Griffin, S
    They really want Reggie Nelson, but will 'settle' for Mike Griffin . Highly productive at safety and a demon on special teams, Griffin played a lot of games and got better every year. He has a great blend of size and speed and would not be considered a reach at pick 17.

18. Cincinnati - Lawrence Timmons, LB
    The Bengals take Timmons due to his ability to play both inside and outside. A great athlete with great speed for the position, Cinncinatti fans would love Timmons here.

19. Tennessee - Dwayne Bowe, WR
    Bowe is the pick after a great pro-day, posting 4.4 speed. The Titans want Vince Young to be successful and will need to give him playmakers on the outside. Bowe is a great prospect who has size, speed, and experience against tough competition.

20. New York Giants - Paul Posluszny, LB
    LaVar Arrington was a major dissapointment and the team needs serious help at OLB. Posluszny is the pick and comes in and starts immediately. The Giants cant afford to mess this one up, and Poz is a blue-chip prospect who is excellent value at pick 20.

21. Denver - Brandon Meriweather, S
    While this team needs help on the D-line, there is good value to be had in the second round. This team also needs help at Safety and Meriweather is a first round talent who has some character questions. This never seems to scare away Shanahan so look for him to snag the best Safety prospect on the board.

22. Dallas Cowboys - Darrelle Revis, DB
    Wade Phillips is going to like Revis here because he fills a need and will remind him of Quinten Jammer, in terms of tackling ability and size. Dallas will continue to build up their 34 defense with young talent.

23. Kansas City - Levi Brown, OT
    The Chiefs would be estatic to land Levi Brown here, and they don't hesitate to draft him. Levi Brown is tremendous value pick and fills the void that Willie Roaf left.

24. New England - Chris Houston, CB
    A huge senior campaign followed by a great combine helped his stock greatly, and with all the signings that New England made in the offseason its now clear that they will address the secondary in the first round.

25. New York Jets - Jarvis Moss, DE
    Moss would be a great value pick here and would play outside linebacker in their 3-4 defense. He adds a speed rusher to their system and would make the plays in the backfield that they missed when Abraham left.

26. Philadelphia - Jon Beason, LB
    Beason played all the linebacker spots in college and while he isnt very big, he is thick and always around the action. He won't hessitate to stick someone and knows the game of football. He is a bottom-first round talent who fills a major need in Philly.

27. New Orleans - Marcus McCauley, CB
    The Saints will look to address their secondary woes in the draft, and they should like McCauley's blend of size and speed. He is a good pro prospect with all the tools and has the versatility that the Saints covet.

28. New England - David Harris, LB
    Is Harris a reach here? Yes and no. The Patriots have stacked their roster and can afford to take Harris a little early. Harris had a monster senior campaign and showed great speed at the combine. He fits the mold of a Patriots linebacker and fills a need. He wont be around for their second round pick and Beason and Alexander dont seem to fit their system too well.

29. Baltimore - Aaron Sears, OL
    The Ravens will have to figure out if Sears is a Right Tackle or if he is a Guard. Either way, they could use help on the O-line and Sears is slightly more versatile than Blalock, but Blalock is the better pure Guard prospect.

30. San Diego - Robert Meachem, WR
    The Chargers are left with choices at Wide Reciever but not much at Safety in the first round. Jarrett was highly productive, and Ginn is an amazing playmaker, but Meachem has the size and breakaway speed to take the offense to the next level.

31. Chicago - Justin Blalock, OG
    Probably the best true Guard prospect in the draft, Blalock is very strong and will play nasty. With so much riding on Grossman and Benson, the Bears must have elite blocking and Blalock fits the bill. Great value at the bottom of round one.

32. Indianapolis - Tedd Ginn, Jr., WR
    The Colts saw what Devin Hester did to them in the Super Bowl, and by adding Ginn they too get a potential All-Pro return man. Tony Dungy will work Ginn into the offense as WR as well, and with Marvin Harrison finally getting his ring who knows how much longer he plays. Reggie Wayne will take over the #1 spot if Harrison does leave, with Ginn becoming the perfect #2 guy.

2. Tha rock

Tha rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Meachem will go to the 49rs now after his combine, There is no doubt that minnesota will grab a WR, titans will grab a WR too. I think the only WRs left by the time you guys pick will dwayne jarett and jason hill. safetys will go quick as well i think merriweather also ends up around your pick. Levi brown will go top 10.

3. underoath

underoath BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    no way dude, they could get a nice WR in round 2. they have two picks in the top 42 and in my mock, Sidney Rice and Dwayne Jarret both fell out of the first round, not to mention a guy like Jason Hill is going to be available.

I dont think Levi Brown is not a top 10 guy. Everyone thought McNeil and Justice would be first rounders last year and it ended up only being DBrickashaw.

4. underoath

underoath BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    ROUND 2 has been ADDED -

33. Oakland - Joe Staley, OT
    34. Detroit - Victor Abiamiri, DE
    35. Tampa Bay - Justin Harrell, DT
    36. Clevland - Aaron Ross, CB
    37. Chicago Bears - Dwayne Jarrett, WR
    38. Arizona Cardinals - Tim Crowder, DE
    39. Houston Texans - Ben Grubbs, OG
    40. Miami Dolphins - Drew Stanton, QB
    41. Minnesota Vikings - Sidney Rice, WR
    42. San Fransico - Jason Hill, WR
    43. Buffalo - Brandon Siler, LB
    44. Atlanta - Aaron Rouse, S
    45. Carolina - Zach Miller, TE
    46. Pittsburg - Michael Bush, RB
    47. Green Bay - Ikaika Alama-Francis, DE
    48. Jacksonville - Charles Johnson, DE
    49. Cincinnati - Daymeion Hughes, CB
    50. Tennessee - Eric Wright, CB
    51. New York Giants - James Marten, OT
    52. St. Louis - Buster Davis, LB
    53. Dallas - Anthony Spencer, DE
    54. Kansas City - Aundrae Allison, WR
    55. Seattle - Eric Weddle, S
    56. Denver - Ray McDonald, DE
    57. Philadelphia - Brian Leonard, RB
    58. New Orleans - Craig Davis, WR
    59. New York Jets - Lamar Woodley, DE
    60. Miami - Sabby Piscitelli, S
    61. Baltimore - Quentin Moses, DE
    62. San Diego - Josh Gattis, S
    63. New York Jets - Quinn Pitcock, DT
    64. Tampa Bay - Ryan Kalil, C

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0

You say these things as if you have spoken to the GM's.

You know nothing more than anybody else and in fact.....you keep trying to tell us who we will pick and you havent a clue.

Worry about Al Davis and his assinine picks lately.

6. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Why would the Titans choose Bowe over Meachem, just out of curiosity?

I could be wrong, but I don't see Calvin Johnson dropping to #4. If the Raiders don't pick him I think there will be a commotion of teams trying to trade up to #2 to take him. If he gets past #2 he won't get past #3. Both Cleveland and Detroit could benefit from trading down in this draft because they both have more than one primary need.

7. underoath

underoath BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I feel Bowe is the better prospect. He was more consistent in college and got better every year. He showed 4.4 speed at a recent pro day and worked with a NFL-caliber QB in Jamarcus Russell. he is a bit bigger and stronger than Meachem as well.

overall, I think with Bowe you know what you are getting, and with Meachem you are banking on great potential. I think Bowe is going to be drafted before meachem.

as for Calvin, its tough to say but the Raiders look pretty set on Russell, the Lions like what they have in Roy Williams and also signed a couple FA WRs. The Browns just drafted Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards as first rounders so I doubt they will pick another pass catcher at the top of the draft.

8. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    The Niners should go defense. I'm not saying they will, I'm saying they should. That's their weakness.

If Calvin Johnson isn't on the board for Tampa it will be interesting to see what they do. I doubt they would spend the #4 pick on any of the other receivers. If Quinn or Russell falls to them I think you'll see them go QB. They also have needs on the defensive side of the ball.

There aren't that many teams whose primary need is WR. I'm not sure why everyone thinks there's going to be this run on that position. I see 5 guys as "probable" first-round picks (CJ, Bowe, Meachem, Ginn, and Rice) and only 3 guys as "sure-thing" first-rounders (CJ, Bowe, and Meachem.) It's like everyone forgets that there's more than 1 round in the draft, and just because a team needs a WR doesn't mean they're going to pick one in round 1 (this goes for the Chargers, too.) After all--the teams that need WR's also need other things besides WR's. All the WR's (except for CJ) have pretty significant caveats that will make teams think twice about spending a first-rounder. There's also sure to be at least two players taken in round 1, under-the-radar guys, reach picks, whatever you want to call 'em. It happens every year.

I think Tha Rock is predicting doom-and-gloom at WR and safety because he knows those are our need positions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    He isnt a 4.4 guy, he is more like the 4.49-4.51 that he has ran more consistantly. Prodays are hand timed.

Even at 4.49 -4.51, id sure like to have him. Ive been a fan of Bowes since he was a junior. Bowe used to drop passes sometimes and it wasnt till this year after laser eye surgery that he was consistant and catching most everything.
    Agree that Bowe should go before Meachum. Never know but imo he is the #2 WR in this draft.

I do like Meachums charactor tho. With good coaching , he could be a big time player.

As for Russell, i wouldnt say the Raiders are set on him at all. Trying to trade for Aaron Rodgers says they would rather get a guy who has been in the league a while which has been their MO since Davis has been in charge and last time i looked...he still is.

Rodgers isnt a vet as far as playing time but he would be cheaper and he still has a lot of potentual.

Even if they dont trade for Rodgers, i bet they still dont pick Russell. I look for them to trade down if possible.

10. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Tha cRock dont know squat :no:

11. underoath

underoath BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    i listened to Kiffin talk about Russell at LSU's pro day and it sounds like they are scouting russell pretty hard. the raiders are going to meet with him multiple times up to the draft and will look hard at taking him #1 overall.

while they certainly can do a variety of things, I think when you are at the top of the draft, you dont need to worry about smokescreens and hoping a guy falls to you. so the raiders can be as open as they like to letting people know who they plan on taking.

of course, Pat Kirwan is thinking they could take Calvin and then trade him like we did with Eli Manning, so theres always that too.

12. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    With the #1 pick...what do you think he will say?
    "we're not interested"?:icon_shrug:

Al likes draft picks and they can get a lot for him.

13. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    Raiders.com reports the Oakland Raiders signed free agent CB Chris Johnson (Chiefs) Monday, March 19.

Oops. I thought the Turds had signed Calvin... but no, it was Chris...