1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Boltjolts Mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Boltjolt, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    Im not doing a full 7 rounder this year like ive done since 2003 since i didnt get to see many games this year due to work schedule as compared to usual so i had to rely on a lot more reading than i usually do and i dont like going by what others say without seenig for myself.

So with that said, here is my mock for us. Hope to see some others here as well.

1. Donta Hightower- ILB/OLB, Alabama

He wont last much past this so may as well get him at #18. I see no difference between #24 or #18. He wont get passed Pittsburgh at #24.
    Gives versatility as a ILB who can take over for Spikes after this season and spell him this year and be used as a pass rusher as well like he was used at Alabama. Dude is a baller and gives us a solid player.
    Hightower is the type of player that Pittsburgh and Baltimore pick and turn into a probowler who is a rock on their defense and thats what we need. Some damn rocks!

2. Harrison Smith- SS, Notre Dame(Not my preference)

I only have him here becuse AJ likes him and i think he will pick him. He is NOT worth trading up for and he should be here but i know how when AJ falls in love he wastes picks making sure he gets his guy. Hope that doesnt happen. I dont think he can beat out Stuckey or Bigby.

3. LaMichael James- RB,Oregon or Robert Turbin-RB,Utah st( If James gone)

James would be a good pick for us but he may not be there at our pick. I like his speed and hands out of the backfield and would be a fine scatback. If he isnt there, i like Turbin as well who has good hands out of the backfield and is a bigger player with good speed. Lets face it, AJ is going to pick a RB since he didnt sign one in FA(asside from McClain) so he has to be able to step in if Mathews get dinged and misses some time....which has happened both years.

4. Jonathan Massaquoi- OLB, Troy

Huge potentual with this guy. Needs some refinement with being coached up but this kid has some untapped skills. Finished his two seasons at Troy with 19.5 sacks and 31 tackles for loss and only played two seasons there after redshirting his Freshman year. Actually had a better Sophomore season than his junior season, otherwise could be a 2nd or even perhaps a first round pick. Has good size at 6'2.5", 264 and is already built to play OLB though some might say he is a bit short. Ran a 4.63 at Troy's proday after a 4.88 at combine.
    He is a cousin to both Cleveland WR Mohamed Massaquoi and Vikings TE Visanthe Shiancoe.

5. Senio Kelemete- OG, Washington

AJ isnt going to pick a OL in the first round so all this DeCastro tallk to me is a laugher. Even when we needed a OT badly he didnt pick one in the first round so here you have it. A OG who has some good potentual and some very good skills but isnt real fast. Can play RT as well as OG so he is versatile which is what AJ likes out of his OL.

6. James Hanna- TE, Oklahoma

A TE with good speed to take it to the house who is more a recieving threat than a blocker but he has good tools and a devolepment player with real good potentual. Finished last season w/ 25 receptions for 363 yds and 2 TD's.

7A.DeAngelo Tyson- DT, Georgia

6'2", 315 he has the size to play some NT and can add more bulk or can use him at DE. Was a ricipient of one of the teams coaches awards for leadership.

7B.Donnie Fletcher- CB, Boston College

Good size at 6'1", 195 and runs a 4.5. Fletcher was a steady player at BC who in his 4 college seasons had 11 INT's. AJ could very well go CB earlier than this but for me, i think the front 7 is more important and i gave AJ his safety that i dont like in the 2nd....LOL
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    I'd say this is a pretty decent draft.

I think Hightower could be someone that is a perfect player for Pagano because you can move him and Jarrett Johnson all over the LB corps and keep people off balance. Once play the team loves to run are MLB blitzes and someone like hightower with actual pass rushing talent would be a nice addition. Also like with Johnson you could legitimately start both them on the outside on a run down and keep guys like Phillips and Barnes rested for passing downs. When we play a team like the Titans or the Steelers that love to run the ball that could be very useful.

I'm not that high on Massaquoi because I really don't see the effort and the drive that I at least saw with other Troy players. I also have heard a lot of comments about his questionable character and immaturity.

I didn't see much out of Tyson when I was watching Georgia games, I think if your going with a NT to work with late in the draft you should look at Baptiste out of Baylor or a small school kid like Asa Chapman from Liberty.
  3. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    I only saw one place that mentioned he had sketchy maturity. He never been arrested or had a DUI so that there is good enough these days. I dont frequant a lot of draft sites because imo most suck so the few i trust, only one mentioned anything and Draftscout didnt say anything about it. He only played two seasons of college ball so he needs work but his potentual is big. Has good bloodlines too which dont always matter but looks like to me he can be a good player.
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    Fair enough, and his immaturity and the like never extended to something along the line of DUI or fights. I just heard he didn't have a great attitude but admittedly it comes from one source but its one source i trust.

Am I the only person interested in the draft who hopes we don't touch a running back until like day 3?
  5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,333 / 35 / -15
    Quite sure you aren't the only one, on that. Yes, the loss of Tolbert hurt, but this
    team just has too many defensive (and O-line depth) holes right now for RB to be a priority.

That said, if a terrific-looking guy was still there at 78 or 110, it could still be worthwhile.
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    Are we all just getting bored of talking about SS and OLB, and thats why in recent mocks people have us going DT and ILB?

I can see going Kuechley if he fell the guy is just special talent, but Hightower at this stage is your typical thumper, he isn't much more talented than Butler. Also you have to be wary of any ILB who is "dominant" with the best defense in football, they can often be a product of the men lining up in front of them. He's very good, but I don't see elite upside, and more importantly I don't see how he helps us off the field on 3rd down.
  7. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    Oddly enough thats where i see Upshaws issue. I see Hightower as one of the reasons it was dominate. Ill also mention that Saban used him all over that defense and yes, rushed him off the edge as well as on the DL so im thinking he can play both possitions (ILB & OLB). But its also why i picked another OLB and i think its possible AJ could. We will lose SP after this season and LaBoy...if he makes the team this year , but he wont be around in 2013.

Kuechley will probably be gone and he is just strictly a ILB anyways. I picked Hightower because he can do alot more....and he is alot bulkier than Mouton and Kuechley and is a weight room fanatic.

There are many reasons to like Hightower and lets not forget, last season he was just coming into his old self after tearing his acl, mcl and menicus in 2009 and had reconstructive surgery. Prior to that, he was a terror.

As for a RB, .....we are going to draft one. One that can play this year. We drafted Todman on day 3 last year and he didnt even stick. There were also some vets he could of signed like Ryan Grant or Michael Bush and he didnt.

Tolbert is gone and McClain is basically going to be a FB and take some GL carries. We need a RB who can spell Mathews so i expect they will get one sooner than later. It is SS i dont want us to pick early. I see nothing special about Harrison Smith and dont think he will beat out the guys we have.

It all depends on who is on the board but myself, i dont like Ingram at all. Think he is overated and even if he were there, i like Hightower better as BPA. Perry i wouldnt mind either, Merciles and Upshaw im on the fence. Im not on the fence with Hightower. I like him.
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    First of all don't over value versatility. The fact is 1 or 2 years from now the coaching staff will try to focus Hightower on 1 position only, and its extremely doubtfull it'll be OLB as he is a decent but not great pass rusher...and all over again OLB will become an issue we have to address.

Secondly you kind of made my point, Hightower is Donald Butler clone, I like Butler a lot but ideally you'd like to have at least 1 coverage savvy ILB on the field at a time. LBs also have to cover TEs and WRs from time to time, which is why Cooper stayed around for so long despite his inability to tackle RBs.

I like him, but not for us.
  9. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    Spikes will be gone after this season so great. Thats why i drafted TWO OLB's. I think it is very possible he could. Nothing wrong with versatility. AJ loves that kind of thing and why he likes interchangable safeties and OL. Even does it with the DL so maybe you should'nt devalue versatility so much.

And Hightower is a Butler clone? Um , in no way is he a Butler clone. And i really hope our LB's arent covering WR's. Isnt that why we keep wasting picks on DB's? To cover WR's . And lets hope Stuckey and Bigby can cover a TE.....and Smith if AJ drafts him but he isnt that great in coverage.

It doesnt mater to me if AJ dont pick Hightower. But he is a player id like to have but i like others too.... depending on who is on the board. I dont want him to pick a DB again. That much i know for sure. Doubt he picks a OL either.
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    Come on, ILBs absolutely have to cover from time to time, when in zone coverage they are responsible for whichever WR may cross their face, this is defense 101, it's taught to high school players!

Butler and Hightower are both big down hill thumpers with moderate cover skills, those types are more common than people think. Having a coverage savvy ILB has become a necessity in today's pass happy NFL.

Lastly, versatility is nice, but overrated. In the RARE occasion a coaching staff doesn't try to specialize a player and allows him to jump around from position to position, they rarely become great players at any of them. This usually leads to a front office always looking or an upgrade at one position anyway....and the guy becomes a 1 position player in the end.
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +662 / 17 / -2
    Im preparing myself for AJ to either go Chandler Jones or Andre Branch just based off a hunch.

The 2 defensive players I Really want and like not named Mark Barron or Luke Keuchly are Nick Perry and Dont'a Hightower, although I do like Upshaw and Mercilus as well

Acee said "Dean Spanos, Turner and AJ Smith all stated they want Defense Defense Defense, it means they're gonna take a Wide Receiver" hahaha

Also AJ said he doesn't want to trade back, but he never said anything about trading up. I can see him trading up for Mark Barron, I'll be ecstatic if that's who we take (for the right price) but I'm also thinking on joining team "Gilchrist" at SS
  12. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +131 / 2 / -0
    id be upset over robert turbin... reminds me of gartrell a little bit.. we dont need a back like turbin anyway .. Message to AJ: DONT DO IT!!!
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +662 / 17 / -2

Exactly, That's why I'm excited to see what Mouton can bring to the table, I think that's what our scouts saw and why we took him ahead of his "draft grade" They saw a Linebacker who was a converted safety, hard hitter and team leader. I hope this kid shines, I would love to see him take time away from Spikes to see if he can become our "Mike" LB
  14. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0

Well first let me address that you said i sound like a young amatuer fan. Is that because you dont agree with me and im not agreeing with you? Or did they make you the draft guru here this year from the other guy (who i forget his name) and now you think you need to sound mature. Not sure but c-mon bro, you have been on these forums with me here for years and im probably older than you. Sorry you dont agree, but thems the brakes. I dont always agree with you either.

Now to the LB's. Yes i know LB's have to drop in coverage in a zone...who doesnt know that! However, i wasnt thinking that when you said they have to cover WR's. But they are in a zone and going to the assigned area and then react to where the ball is going. It could be a TE or a WR going into their area so they arent really covering anybody in particular until they read the throw is going to the guy nearest them. I thought you were talking more about man coverage which i thought was bizarre, ...so misunderstanding.

Hightower isnt the only guy i like but i think he fits the team whether you do or not. We can use a stud ILB and imo he is a better player than Mouton and he is bigger and faster and looks like he is fully recovered from his knee injury but, im all for seeing what Mouton has if we chose somebody else but asgain, i did pick another OLB fior us which i think is totaly realistic. He does it with DB's when we dont expect it.

OK, i can appreciate that. Would you consider Ray Lewis a thumper or cover LB?

Because he was teamed with Bart Scott for some years and neither IMO are cover guys, but it worked for them and Lewis did have 6 INT's one year. Ray is probably the best ILB in history and he has actually been ok in that department but he isnt really considered a cover LB. Dude is a thumper. Now Scott is teamed with David Harris...another non cover LB.

We signed Spikes on purpose to be a thumper to team with Butler who you called a thumper. So it looks like they arent thinking your way. Unless they just messed up thinking he could be after 12 years in the league of not being one.

If they draft Kuechley, great. Im not against a LB like that and sure we can use one, i can agree there. But he wont be around for us at #18 . Mouton isnt exactly a great cover LB either, but he did have 4 int's in his college career and was a safety at one point but he lacks speed for the NFL in that department so we'll see how that pans out. I hope he does work out for us.

It isnt overrated by AJ and why it is a laugher to me that some of you keep saying we will draft DeCastro at #18. Theres no way he is going to draft him there at #18. DeCastro is a OG ONLY! He wont be playing any OT and AJ and Norv value that so if they pick a OL at #18 in the first round, it will be a OT, not a OG. How many times has he done that when we REALLY needed one badly?

I have no problem being wrong. Hell i make full 7 round mocks every year for those to see how wrong i can be and im wrong a lot just like the experts are but when talking about our team, ive been right plenty of times. I dont really do it though to be right, i just like to project where players i have rated will go compared to others. Just not doing it this year because i havent seen near as many games as i usually do due to work schedule.
  15. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0

He is nothing like Gartell. Have you seen both play? What kind of back is Turbin in your opinion that you dont like and who fits your bill? The only thing negative about Turbin to me is his ball security.
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20

I was trying to be more polite due to the fact you've been here so long so I deleted the comment, but when you say things like "I hope our LBs never have to cover WRs"...it makes you sound stupid. Its not about disagreement, its about making statements that are flat out incorrect.

First of all thats not true, Cooper and Burnett were more than solid in coverage, losing Burnett was very unfortunant but he went for the money. Spikes is a perfect example of what not to do, we signed him to replace Burnett and our pass defense suffered accordingly, espescially on 3rd down. And to counter...we signed DeMorrio Williams this offseason who is at least a competant coverage LB, also I do believe Mouton will help in this area.

Ray Lewis has slowed in his age, but he used to be well above average as far as coverage goes, the man was truely a freak of nature, as is Patrick Willis. And David Harris is one of the best coverage ILBs in the league, so thats a bad example.

I hope you don't mean me I've been one of the biggest nay sayers on O-line the last few months. If you look at some of our key O-line stats last year...8th in sacks allowed, 3rd in QB hits, 12th in ypc....our O-line wasn't that bad. I wouldn't be devistated if we took DeCastro, but I think its laughable that people think Martin and Glenn are even a possibility.

The point is Hightower is a good player, but not what we need alongside Butler in the future. Kuechly is exactly what we need, but he probably won't fall to us.
  17. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    Well i wasnt thinking about zone when i read that so misunderstanding. I wasnt sure what you meant there and i thought it was bizarre, so...i felt the same reading it.

Cooper was ok, Burnett was not a coverage LB or at least didnt show much of one imo and didnt show much of one in Miami last year but did play more a thumper role as his tackle totals have gone up the past two seasons. Spikes, i didnt like that signing at all and Williams imo will have a hard time making the team. KC hardly used the guy the past two years , will be 32 in July, is undersized and on the downside. Since he has moved into a 3-4 he hasnt been much of a cover LB either.
    Basically we have 35 year old Spikes, Butler and Mouton and nothing else at ILB unless you like Bront Bird and undersized Gachkar along with Williams. Not a good group imo.

Perhaps and your right, Lewis is a freak at his possition but most would call him a thumper though he has been adequate as a cover guy in the past. And last year was the first that Harris showed he can even be a decent cover LB so i dont agree he is one of the best. Pretty much been a thumper type til last year, his 5th season and he was OK and better than he had been.He never had more than 3 Passes defended in a season till last year where he had 9.

Not disagreeing that they can use a more cover ILB but i wouldnt disregard Hightower because he is more a thumper. I only saw two Alabama games this year and he was used all over. Saban said he is a very smart player and former teammate McClain said he has mad skills so we really dont know how good he can be in coverage. He rushed the passer there too while playing the nickel LB as well.

Our LB's (ILB & OLB) arent that great a group and id like to upgrade them both so if he is the best LB on the board at either, id take him and i tihkn he is better value than some of the OLB's in this draft who are rate high.
    Rather have Hightower over Merciles, im not a fan of Ingram and actually saw parts of three games of his. Just dont get the hype. I like him over Upshaw. Like what i saw from Chandler Jones but not sure he is on AJ 's radar for OLB. Never saw Branch play. On the fence with Perry but like him. Id be ok with him but he isnt in favor of being a OLB.

Nope, i have no idea who you like. This is the first time ive been here in months. I just came on a whim and posted my mock. Its actually my first one this year. Really havent been on top of the draft this year as i usually am. Missed too many games and i wont use a fake source like Ant always says he has...lol. We all know its BS.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +131 / 2 / -0
    yes ive seen both play, ill admit i dont know much about turbin but from what ive seen he looks to be more of a workout warrior then a talented back.. given gartrell didnt run as well as turbin (4.50) if you watch the tape im not so sure turbin plays that fast... turbin reminds me of gatrell from the standpoint that their both big physically imposing backs who IMO lack the elusiveness and quickness not to mention theirs a physical resemblance as well.. as for the type of back who fits the bill for our team IMO id rather a back in the mold of chris rainey/lamichael james.. we already have ryan mathews and leron mcclain why do we need to add another 225 lb rb to our roster? we got those 2 backs who are more than capable of getting the short yardage and interior running, why not compliment them with a change of pace back that can hit the big play .. in todays offenses when offenses spread you out i think it would be more beneficial to our team to add a back who could be a threat out of the backfield and a matchup nightmare for defenses