1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Bolttalk Town Hall

Discussion in 'Forum Help and Feedback' started by Concudan, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,748 / 39 / -8
    I wanted to start a thread to discuss some things that are on my mind. I have been noticing that there seems to be an extraordinary amount of venom for others and other forums expressed on this site.

Now as I understand it we want a place where everyone can enjoy themselves and post. However, this does not seem to be the goal of everyone. For instance, mods from the UT have been attacked over here in a manner that is rather immature and biased. This has caused at least one person to leave the site.

This site is for everyone. Popular or unpopular, Charger fan or not. Making attacks on others because of another site, or over another site is not acceptable in my opinion. As is attacking other forums in the name of this site.

So here is my question to the users of this forum. What would you do? Where would you draw the lines. Are the steps at moderating (*** clown forum and the asylum) effective enough? What would you say is acceptable and not. Help us to create the environment we can all enjoy as well as one that fans from other teams can come and enjoy.

Help us to determine where we should draw the lines. I would prefer to do as little moderating as possible. We are part of a network that will bring fans of other teams here, we need to ensure that how we post and represent our forum reflects well on us all.

Thanks, I hope to hear all your input.

Curtis

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for bringing this up Curtis. As a growing site, we need to address this topic immediately.

I expect all members of Bolt Talk to be respectful and welcoming of others. Yes, we are part of a network of NFL sites called the "Football Rivals Network" and we will get other fans of othe teams to post here. Some may talk trash, some may be real cool. But we in no way should mistreat or bash anyone to the point where they stop coming here. That especially goes towards other Charger fans of other sites.

We are part of a big community of Charger sites, and I always want to have a postive light on us. One example was when we played the Steelers last year. A bunch of Steeler fans posted on our forums and gave complements on how much more nicer folks were here than other boards and that they would be back in the future. Now we were much smaller then, but there is no reason why we can't have the same maturity as we grow.

As far as moderating is concerned, we want to give everyone the freedom of speech they all deserve, but we also have to put a stop to negative, user bashing threads immediately. Use you best judgement when shutting down a thread or banning a user to the "*** clown" forum. I honestly expect to never have to ban anyone there. But like other forums, there will be those users that come in to just troll.

The main thing I want to see is harmony among Charger sites. We are all fans of this team, and don't need to make others feel like there are rivalries between forums. Well, thats my take.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Let a brother be a brother is my best advise. The MAINS are appropriate for the hardcore news.

The ASYLUM speaks for itself.

The ASSCLOWNS FORUM is the last refuge.

The structure of this place should speak for itself (MAINS - BOLTHEAD CHEER - ASYLUM - ASSCLOWNS).

There is a fine line of temperments with everybody no matter our backgrounds.

I posted this earlier in another thread but the only way it works is if the MODS all agree on a uniform policy.

Not to be an ahole but if I can help out in this site prospering - right on. I will pitch in my managerial two cents worth.

Let one guy be the fall guy ala "Chargeroo" as a HEAD MOD...Not the Rabbit or Charger Ray ..... They are neutral so to speak.

Whomever this may be ... then back his *** to the hilt but be consistent on MOD policies. This gives the MODS an out.

This place is going to get hot real quick so lets get ready. :icon_mrgreen:

4. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    There must be a balance between allowing folks to be themselves and having a core group run off others who do not like it so rough and tumble.

I agree that having the three levels (Main, Asylum, and *** Clown) will help in that, but if you haven't noticed behavior as of yet has not been compartmentalized. The bullies, flamers, and attention whores are just that regardless of where they are posting at the moment.

My biggest concern is that I don't want a minority ruining the fun for the majority. It's not about who can make the most noise or attract the most attention. Every member in here counts equally, despite what some might think.

5. CCG

CCG New Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 0 / -0
    My two cents worth. Being a newer site you almost have to be less tolerant of this kind of behaviour than the UT one. They have the established members that will remain when the bad ones are booted. Here, you are trying to build up the membership and that will be extremely hard if the first thing a potential sees is F them and F that mod and SMD and Jihad and all that crap. I don't think anyone who wants to talk football is going to expect all hugs and kisses from everyone else but really.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CCG

CCG New Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 0 / -0
    The third one has the word Charger in it.:unsure:

7. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    Definitely a slow football week....Never fear, TC is right around the corner. :yes: :icon_banana: :yes:

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,748 / 39 / -8
    Several of us are from the UT. I know that people have preset notions of what this site is and what we can do here.

I want to make something very clear however. Turning this place into a hostile environment, carrying on fights from the UT here, or attacking other forums is not acceptable. Some of us have invested time and money into building this site. It can only continue to grow if we maintain an environment that is conducive to allowing others to express themselves in acceptable manners.

I have seen some posts the last few weeks that has led me to understand that not everyone has this point of view. As an organization we have tried to allow you to police yourselves. That is not working, I have asked how our posters would handle things and I think we have gotten some solid feed back.

However, calling people rude names, making personal attacks or threats in rep messages, posts or PMs is an unacceptable practice. You are all free to use rep as you see fit. Red or green. However, as stated before, personal insults are not acceptable. Please help us to make this into an environment that we can all enjoy. If that means you show some level of restraint in your language, so be it.

We are now experiencing people asking to have their accounts terminated because of a vocal few. If we can not turn this around without resorting to bannings, then we will have to be ‘heavy handed’.

No one here wants that, but if you cant police yourself, then logic dictates we will have to police you. We will not allow a vocal few to chase away posters.

Feel free to PM me if you have anything you wish to add that you do not feel is appropriate for posting here.

Curtis

9. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    I see groups and cliques forming and some negative rhetoric from BOTH sides.... I don't see one culprit here and think that several of us have to take a closer look at ourselves and how we've contributed to the conflict and the we vs. them mentality.

Let's wipe the slate clean and move forward from here. We don't have to like everyone who posts here, but there is a way to coexist without constant conflict. If we can't accomplish this for ourselves, I'm sure the mods and admins. will step in and resolve this issue once and for all.

I don't want to see any more bannings, etc.

10. vachargerfan

vachargerfan New Member

Ratings:
    +134 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, you guys are going to have to so some major house cleaning if you want this place to be taking seriously as a Chargers forums. Keep just the lounge section and *** Clowns (but rename it) The rest of the other OT stuff should go. I would also make sure the filters are turned on. This place has gotten to much like a soap opera (like OT at the UT). I will try to help out by posting Chargers articles, but I think that most people that come here are looking at this place like it is a joke for a certain few to hang out at.

11. CCG

CCG New Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 0 / -0
    I think you're being overly generous in that first paragraph, however; I agree 100% with the second. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that the third is inevitable.

12. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0

I don't think I am being overly generous... but to explain myself would cause more problems so I will leave it as a generality. It takes more than one to fight and cause conflict.....Let's not forget those on the outside, egging on and encouraging the conflict.... with congratulatory posts, PMs at the UT.... again from both sides.....

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,748 / 39 / -8
    I think it is important to understand that UT bashing isnt what this site is about.

Further that people who come from UT are to be treated the same as those who do not, BY EVERYONE. Old conflicts should be burried in the past and left where they were fought. If anyone cant do that, then they are part of the problem not part of the solution.

14. CCG

CCG New Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 0 / -0
    I would agree that there are no 100% innocent participants.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.