1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Breaking News - Sean Payton contract extension voided, FA after this year

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Nov 4, 2012.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    Because it didn't work with Payton or Harbaugh (John) or Mike Smith or Tomlin or.......

If Payton wants money then he'll likely go to Dallas though he also has ties to the Jerry Jones family & to the Dallas area. Jerry will throw everything at them. Then again he might like the idea of taking another franchise (this time from a better position than the Saints were in + a very good core of players especially on defense) to success.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 48 / -6
    No shyte? I didn't say they should hire you, that would be like, well stupid.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 29 / -1
    Harbaugh was hired in the first place because it didn't work the last time they tried it.

True story.

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 29 / -1
    By the way, I absolutely love the irony of Sean Payton's success being used as an example of why we should pass on Sean Payton. :roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,871 / 48 / -26
    Sure, lets bring in a cheater...... the towels weren't enough of an advantage. ;)

6. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 48 / -6
    Just how many of these Top Shelf, Elite Super Bowl Winning coaches have gone on to coach new teams with the same success as their prior team????

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    How many coaches have won a Superbowl, period?

8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 48 / -6
    Think sonny, think!!!!

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    The fallacy often committed with regards to coaches is that because they've won a SB in the past they could win another one. However, I don't think that we should hire Payton if available because he's won a SB. I think we should hire him because unless Robert Kraft starts slipping it to Belichick's wife, Sean Payton is going to be, without a doubt, far and away the best HC candidate on the market this coming offseason.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 48 / -6
    That my friend, has all yet to be proven.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Pretty sure that when Peyton and Tomlin were hired, no one viewed them as the head an shoulders best candidates out there, except by the Saints and Steelers.

By the way, I heard yesterday that Peyton has already come out saying that he will be a Saint next year. So this is all likely a pointless argument.

12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Irrelevant. Sean Payton is, arguably, the 2nd best HC in the NFL.

It saddens me that he isn't going to be available, but apparently he loves that Saints' franchise.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    He very well might be, but the odds of someone else being that "Arguably the 2nd best HC" guy 5 years from now, is very high. It is also very unlikely that he would go to another team, with different players, a different owner, and a different GM, and have the same success

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 29 / -1
    How many Super Bowls have there been period?

You have the extreme laws of averages backing up your argument here, not actual coaching ability.

Mike Holmgren came seriously close, as did Dick Vermeil.

The bottom line question is: can the man coach? That's all that matters. Not whether or not he's done it before or at what level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 29 / -1
    I'm pretty sure the same could be said about Mike Singletary, Jim Zorn, Mike Riley, Tom Cable, Josh McDaniels,.

****, I can go on forever.

16. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    Lots of assuming going on that Payton even wants to leave the Saints. The NFL voided the extension, not Payton or the team. They made the money happen for him once, not hard to believe they'd do it again. Why would he want to leave anyway?

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Absolutely. Getting an unknown guy is by no means a guarantee of success. The point is, neither is bringing in a proven guy. It will be 100% on Dean and who ever our GM is, to make a good decision whether it is a proven guy or a rookie. I don't care which way we go, I just want a good HC, something we haven't had in 6 years

18. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    since when is putting a bounty on someone cheating?

19. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,871 / 48 / -26
    Any illegal "performance enhancing" device can be viewed as cheating...... bounties are not exempt.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 29 / -1
    I fully agree with the bolded part, but this discourse began with people claiming that we should avoid guys with previous head coaching experience ("retread" being the favorite choice of word) like the plague, basing their argument off the success of cherry picked 1st timers, jaded feelings of the last two hires who were "retreads", and the extreme laws of averages that has to this point led to nobody winning a SB with two teams.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 29 / -1
    Since a bunch of Saints players, coaches, and front office personnel got suspended over it.

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    For anyone that actually took the time to read the parameters of the contract voiding, they'd realize that Payton can't be hired until his suspension is up. And for anyone paying attention that's not until April 16, 2013. So people are actually advocating for going through the period where not only the crux of the quality HC prospects will be hired away but also the majority of the quality staffers will as well... AND for the first two waves of free agency to pass, all while operating on the come that we might be able to sign Payton away from New Orleans - where he would walk into a staff that largely already been assembled (by him).

Look, I get people wanting to have hope. But ground yourselves in realism somewhat... otherwise you have no one to blame more when you're kicking walls and trying to break things because Dean did what he was most likely always going to do and you spun your own hopes into believing that he'd do something he likely never would have done even under optimal circumstances.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    playing dirty is performance enhancing? Did playing dirty make them stronger, faster, or mask their pain any?

24. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +409 / 8 / -0
    Ok, let me see if I get this:

We need a proven winner but not a retread, but not so proven (like a Superbowl winner) because that would mean that he can't do it again (with a new team), of course if he has experience but hasn't won a Superbowl then that makes him a retread.

On second thought we need a new guy, but not a college guy because that doesn't work in the NFL, ok then, an assistant coach, too bad they have no experience as a HC so we wouldn't know if he was any good or not, then of course he would come cheap so that would mean that Spanos doesn't want to win...

Sooo, any candidates?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I honestly had given no thought to him being unhireable until the end of his suspension.

26. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    our whole staff

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Being against the rules and cheating are not always the same thing. For example, using a prop during a TD celebration is against the rules, but it is not cheating.

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    New Orleans has known about this issue for most of a year. They wrote the contract, surely one of their legal advisers would have brought it to their attention as soon as it was known that the league was going to suspend Loomis related to Bountygate. I'd say that's also part of the reason why they pushed off starting Payton's suspension until they did; it was likely a preventative measure to give them a leg up on keeping him (and if he cooperated then I'd say that's a pretty good signal as to his intentions).

Also, there are reports surfacing now that they (the Saints) are free to negotiate an extension with him right now and are working on just that.

29. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Get real everyone...

Dean is looking at coaches like Dennis Green.;)

30. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +874 / 5 / -0
    Or Tom Coughlin...

• Funny Funny x 1