1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Broncos add Shaun Phillips

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Apr 27, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Broncos add Shaun Phillips

Posted by Mike Florio on April 27, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT

Getty Images
    So much for Dwight Freeney and John Abraham.

The Denver Broncos, who have a lingering need at pass rusher after the “fax you” snafu with Elvis Dumervil, have added former Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Phillips, who has played outside linebacker in the 3-4, likely will be converted to defensive end in the 4-3.

Often overlooked in the free-agent class of pass rushers, Phillips quietly had been gathering interest. His presence in Denver could mean there’s no longer interest in Dwight Freeney.

The problem with Freeney was that he’s interested in making too much money. And there’s no team currently interested in paying him that much.
  2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    I know SP rubbed some fans the wrong way...personally, I felt too much was made
    of his occasionally tacky manner. He's a solid football player, and given how green
    the Charger D currently is, he's an experienced vet that I'm not happy to see leave.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Why do they almost always have to go to division rivals or the Patriots?
  4. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +12 / 4 / -0
    It always seemed like I heard his name far more off than field than on it. Maybe that's cause I follow his twitter..
  5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    He was probably our best defensive player after Merriman fell off.
  6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
    I think SP signing now is only newsworthy because he went to Denver. If other teams were that interested, he would have signed before Antwan Barnes (Jets) or Burnett (Raiders).
  7. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +260 / 4 / -2
    I was happy we passed on the aging Gaslamp party boy. Apparently, instruction on locating the hottest night club with the bests ho's was not the kind of veteran leadership Telesco was seeking.
    .... but we do need to add someone on the edge.
  8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,532 / 7 / -2
    Every downtown bar owner in Denver is ecstatic about this signing.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Because Dielman was the only one with any backbone. The guy literally said that if the choice between signing with the Pats to keep playing (as in they were his only option) and retiring... he'd choose retirement. That and it's the sad mentality of guys biting hard on the "we were Championship talent level teams" in the past that didn't deliver. They're ring-hunting and really don't care.

It's just like fans, to some fans a player going to a division rival is unforgivable (because, particularly in the pre-salary cap era, it was unthinkable for something like that to happen even among the mindset of players - if you were an Giant, not way in hell you'd ever put on a Cowboys or Eagles helmet), to others it's not big thing. Same with the players nowadays. To some the sport is more a business than a culture, to others it's more. I could have told you which one of those Phillips fit into several years ago - dude's been a gloryhound for some time.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    In terms of sacks, maybe. The last couple years though, and in particular the last two, Weddle has outplayed him by a wide margin. Butler outplayed him last year even while missing time for injury; as did Liuget.
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Or because he had a slew of 1 and 2 tackle games last season.
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    I think you may be on to something: I'm no fan of social media, and don't really
    give a crap about ANYONE's twitter...I'm just going by his on-field play for the Chargers...
    the sacks, and especially his talent for creating turnovers.
    Hard to over-estimate the importance of those. Very productive for a #98 pick.

p.s. Can't say as rumors or "sack dances" were any part of my opinion
  13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Huge disagreement there. He had some sacks, had a lame bowling dance... But Weddle has been far more consistent and impactful than SP IMHO.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1

Agree with this totally. He was still a contributor though, and we will need to replace his production. Realistically this should mean that Johnson and Ingram are now starters, English if he remains on the team is a backup, and we probably need a couple more guys. The key to it will be Ingram's development, we really need him to step up and become the steal we thought we were getting in last year's draft.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    You're absolutely right about Weddle (as was LBC) so I revise my claim to say that he was probably our best defensive player between Merriman falling off and Weddle's emergence.

And I don't give a **** about the bowling dance. If he's doing it it means the opposing QB is on the ground, which is a good thing.
  16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    My only issue with SPs dance was a lot of times he was not the only one in on the sack, but acted like he was everything. I think some of our young LBs will be better than SP. *Fingers crossed*
  17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    The only problem with his sack dance, it usually came at a time when the game didn't matter either way.
    • Agree Agree x 1