1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Bruce Arians will be given "strong consideration" for Chargers HC

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Dec 16, 2012.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
  2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    The whole organization needs a strong douche from top to bottom.
  3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    You are right, but I doubt we get a full blown "fresh start". Our front office will remain the same with the exception of AJ, and it wouldn't surprise me if our coaching staff remained in tack except for Norv and the possible hiring of a real OC
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Arians is in my top 5, so I'd be okay with this.

Chip Kelly has made a strong push as I've considered him more. I think his style is very Patriots'esc. And Shaw is a strong candidate but I believe he needs another year to cook.
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    Am I the only one who thinks the team needs a big change in leadership at coach, GM and that's it? I don't see Pagano, Bissacia, etc as the problem. Only coordinators I might wanna get rid of are the OL and maybe DB
  6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    I wish we would package Chow with the exile'ees.
  7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    In reality, whether people like it or not, I have a feeling thats what we will get
  8. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    I don't think Pagano needs to be thrown out, he's definitely done his job in many ways. Same with Bissaccia. Same with a bunch of other coordinators (DL? LB? WR?). I'm not saying just change the coach, and there's definitely some coordinators that need to be changed, but there's some real good talent here
  9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Wow GJ steelers. 3 quarters of penalty free football.
  10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    I'd like to see Keith Butler get a shot at the HC job for the bolt's.
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    The issue is that I refuse to believe that this malaise attitude and lack of killer instinct in the team is simply a product of Norv and AJ. We see flashes of it at times that some folks might want to credit to the coaches lower in the pecking order having some glimpse of impact, but they could just as easily be anomalies.

If we're going to enact a culture change then I hate the idea of limiting it. You don't half-arse a culture change unless you want to severely limit its chances of success.
  12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I agree, but I also think we shouldn't just wholesale fire everyone. Let the next HC make the decisions on who to keep and who to replace.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    I'd fully encourage Arians, or whoever is the HC, to clean house. For instance, Pags D failed on all levels today. Whether other games justify keeping him or not is up to the next HC. No sweat from here though whichever way that axe falls.
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Arians has done great this year. If I have one concern it's that maybe the Colts have kind of caught lightning in a bottle. It's a strange situation there with Chuck Pagano, and they've had quite a few slow starts and fast and furious comebacks.

List as it stands...
    1 Gruden - You want a full breed culture change...here's your guy.
    2 Cowher - I don't think this will really happen, but I'd approve heartily if it did.
    3 Arians - Has done amazing in the interim this year.
    4 Kelly - He's grown on me, although I think it's a longshot that we even interview a college coach.
    5 Shaw - Again I think this guy needs another year in college, but I wouldn't mind taking the risk.
  15. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +154 / 3 / -0
    The next head coach of the Chargers will be Andy Reid, never underestimate the "Spanos Buffoon gene."
  16. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +766 / 5 / -0
    ^^^It won't be any of the people previously mentioned. Bank on it.
  17. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    I just wish that it wasn't Spanos making the decision...he is bound to &*(& it up!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    I'd go with Butler as first choice and Arians second. Chucky is a distant third and Kelly is a no way, flavor of the week type guy to me. Shaw sparks a bit of interest but not enough to take the chance at this point.
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Where I'm most critical of the Colts is that they're a replica of last year's Bengals, the year prior's Buccaneers and Chiefs: Teams getting statistical success against horrifically weak schedules. The Colts right now, if they do make the playoffs, will be the first team ever to do so with a negative point differential (i.e. they'll have actually conceded more points on the season than they have actually scored, in spite of having a winning record). Translation: They're squeaking out comeback wins against average-and-worse teams and getting the snot kicked out of them and blown out by any legitimate team with a winning record or that's bound for the playoffs (today was literally the first game they've had against a likely playoff team that was at all close).

As it stands right now my list is:
    1. Vic Fangio (I've read more about the guy and fallen for him even more. The guy gets "it".)
    2. Chip Kelly (Dean ain't ponying up the money and the only way he does sends up a very obvious flare that he's angling for a move to LA, but he's the kind of coach this team needs - along with Fangio)
    3. Dave Toub
    4. Bill Cowher (I have him lower because he's a great X's and O's and practices guy, but has very limited experience in personnel matters and I do remember him being rumored to want personnel control despite having no prior experience in it)
    5. Mike Nolan (aside from Cowher probably the only retread I'm comfortable with)
    • Like Like x 1
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Love Fangio too, but hiring a defensive guy other than a fully established HC like Cowher makes me restless given the situation with our offense, and Rivers in particular.
  21. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Even the most conservative defensive HC will realize that the OL needs rebuilding. Everything else will go from there.
  22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I will still say that I don't want a HC that does the play calling on either side of the ball. I want a HC that concentrates on the game plan, preperation, and the big picture, not the X's and O's. Doesn't mean I want a yeller or screamer, give me someone like Mike Tomlin
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    Kieth Butler would be a perfect fit with Pags, very similar defensive schemes in place and Pags could get the AHC tag along with it. I'd like to see an OC with strong SDO experience but not Cam Cameron, Chud is locked up with the Panthers unless Rivera would bring Norv into the fold next year.
  24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Yeah, but I think without the right man calling plays you run the risk of a Joe Flacco Baltimore Ravens type offense.

Ideal of course would be Sean Payton. Then we'd have or QB coach OC and HC all in one, and we could keep Pags around. Or hire Ron Rivera again.
  25. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    If Rivera gets axed, that could free up a few ex-Bolts assistants. But all the same, if we get a decent HC, I'm happy with whatever staff he assembles. Not sure if Spanos is capable of hiring that person though.
  26. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    As long as the person hired is an actual LEADER, they will be an upgrade.Whether their background is offense or defense isn't as important as their ability to inspire and lead a team.
  27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Except that Payton is suspended until April. Payton is going to be the HC for NO next season.
  28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Actually, reports came out yesterday that he will likely be reinstated as soon as the Saints season is over, so they can resign him and start planning for next year. The league also doesn't want to deal with the PR issues of having the SB in NO and Peyton still being suspended. But yes, he will likely be the HC in NO next year
  29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    That's why I don't have Payton in my top 1! I figure its a pipe dream that Nawlins will let him walk away.
  30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    And that's one of the reasons I favor Fangio over certain others - the guy has 26 years of coaching experience and a TON of connections. I'd wager if he doesn't pilfer someone offer San Fran's staff to be his OC, he'd give a strong look to Hue Jackson who he coached with in Baltimore for several years - and Jackson's the kind of guy that I think would both appeal to Rivers and who could go about retooling some of Rivers' more sloppy technique of late in terms of his pocket presence.

Our offense is largely suffering due to personnel issues (insufficient attention paid to the OL across the board in terms of talent and technical coaching) and predictability (play-calling, play diversity, square peg/round hole type stuff). Another guy that, and I know this one may or may not be terribly popular around these parts, Fangio has ties to that could do well to re-stabilize our offense is another Coryell-bridge guy in Al Saunders (could be a case of someone brought in as an "Offensive Consultant" to oversee a more long-term OC while the guy gets acclimated).