1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Bruce Irvin as a Backup Plan???

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Duffman57, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    So i was just thinking about this. But if all the good pass rushing options in this draft are off the board in the first round (Ingram/Perry/Upshaw (maybe)), i just wondered something.

Plain and simple, there is no player that is that SOLB that will be great off the edge as a strong power rusher. So how about Bruce Irvin in the 3rdish range if he's there. How i see it, he's undersized but BOY does he EASILY have the frame to bulk up. We're gonna possibly need a replacement for SP95. This guy is a former Safety, and has the hips to be the best coverage 3-4 OLB in the league and is an asset there, and is just plain and simple a great pass rusher.

The more i'm watching him this year, the more i'm realizing just how much attention he forced this year, even when he was essentially playing the 5T (or a 3-4 DE role) and that he really didn't have the bad year that people thought he did... What happened almost all this year, or the games i watched...You see just the freakish natural pass rushing ability he has. He can run the arch, but he does his damage getting out ahead of OT's and over-extending them, then he has does an elite job of countering back inside and making the OT look just stupid.

The problem he's been having this year, is that with the 3-3-5 that WVU runs, their rushing only 3 a LOT of the time, which basically allows them to strait up double team him with the OG and OT, which destroy's his counter move ability, since when he' does counter, the OG is right there picking him up. Teams had problems dealing with him once they brought an LB to the A gap on his side, or lined up in a 4 man front, because that OG could not block that counter move.

Line him up inside a guy like Liuget who can just flat out get after the passer vs. OG's, he can, and will dominate off the edge. That explosion that he has off the ball is just freakish...and just unfair with his natural feel for the counter move for a OT trying to stay in front of him. If Nick Perry isn't there in the 1st, i'd be REAL happy with Irvin in the 2nd/3rd.

With JJ and SP95, we dont need a starter right away, so he can sit for a year, bulk up and be a great pass rusher right away, and only have an eventual need on the weakside OLB, and with the burst and speed Irvin has he can play vs. the LT and next year, we'd be able to line up JJ vs. the RT, and Irvin vs. the LT, since Irvin DOES have the ability to beat LT's with the burst he has.

Next years class is stacked with those types of bigger, athletic freak type DE's that can transition to the SOLB spot and be that bigger power to speed rusher in Alex Okafor/John Simon/Dion Jordan and a potential of quite a few good pass rushers coming out next year as well.

Any thoughts on this?