1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Byron Jerideau - NT

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,780 / 47 / -26
    Cam Thomas gets some competition at NT......

Byron Jerideau might be the strongest player in program history

[​IMG]

BYRON JERIDEAU FITS the part. At 6-foot-1 and 325 pounds, the South Carolina senior defensive tackle appears to be almost as wide as he is tall. Bulging muscles in his biceps make wearing a sleeved shirt virtually impossible. Those aren’t legs he stands on. Those are tree stumps. At first glance, you get the impression Jerideau has muscles in his eyebrows.

He is the strongest man on the USC football team.

Yet Jerideau is not the kind of strong guy you expect to lift a boulder, or pull a train boxcar or toss a keg of beer over a wall. He has not really showed off his strength publicly since his days at Colleton County High near Walterboro. That is when he occasionally picked up the front end of a small car — maybe a Toyota or Volkswagen — and rotated it in its parking space just to catch the reaction of the car’s unsuspecting owner later in the day.

These days, Jerideau reserves his strength-showing skills for occasional high jinks in the USC locker room and for opposing offensive linemen on the football field where he often occupies two at a time.

“Jerideau is a strong guy,” says Joe Connolly, USC’s director of football strength and conditioning, in a mild understatement. “He’s a good football player. His strength definitely serves him well on the field.”

Jerideau is slated to replace Travian Robertson in the middle of USC’s defensive line. It is an unheralded position, according to defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward, one designed to free USC’s ends to make tackles and sack quarterbacks. In many blocking schemes, the opposing center and guard double-team the defensive tackle nearest the ball.

“So he’s going to handle two people a lot,” Ward says of Jerideau. “He can’t give ground. He’s got to push those two guys. He isn’t going to get the quarterback, but he’s got to get those two guys going back so we can make the quarterback uncomfortable.”

It is a role that perfectly suits Jerideau.

Once he realized football was his game, Jerideau began weight-lifting as a sixth-grader in the tiny community of Green Pond, located 12 miles south of Walterboro where S.C. 303 dead-ends into U.S. 17. Lifting weights transformed Jerideau from a skinny middle-schooler to a strong man who could move cars in high school.

By the time Jerideau arrived at USC, following a couple of seasons at Fort Scott (Kan.) Community College, the Gamecocks had a lineman seasoned in the ways of a weight room.

“Genetically, he was very strong already,” Connolly says, “and he has made a lot of really, really solid gains, not only with body composition but with strength since he’s been here.

“Genetically, I think everybody has a certain ceiling. But I think your ability to get stronger continues on until the age of 40, or even 50.”

Jerideau can power clean lift well over 300 pounds. He has bench-pressed 500 pounds and his best squat lift was 670 pounds. His strength index — a number that takes into account three different lifts and uses a coefficient to balance the difference in mass weight of individuals — this past winter was 754.61, according to Connolly.

The number does not mean much to the untrained observer until one considers that the best in the previous four years Connolly has been at USC was a 725 recorded by former linebacker Rodney Paulk. The next highest mark on the current roster was a 690 by junior offensive guard Ronald Patrick. Jerideau’s numbers are all the more impressive because the strength index usually favors athletes with a smaller body type like Paulk, who lifted at 6-foot, 229 pounds.

Jerideau likely could have improved his strength index this summer, but a mild ankle sprain prevented him from testing. Jerideau was upset, belying his mild-mannered nature. As big and strong as he is, Jerideau admits to being somewhat of a teddy bear.
    “I’m not like a mean person,” Jerideau says.

Then he tells of how horsing around sometimes includes toting a few teammates — maybe a Kenny Miles (193 pounds), Chaz Sutton (248 pounds) and Devin Taylor (267 pounds) — together on his back around the USC locker room.

If pro football is not in the cards for Jerideau, who will graduate in December with a degree in criminal justice, it sure seems like he has a future. Strong-man competition could be calling.

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    I fully expect 4 or 5 UDFA's to make the roster this year (possibly more) and another handful to make the PS

Geathers, Jerideau, Becton, Moore
  3. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Jamalesque
  4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +407 / 8 / -0
    I want Cromartie to make the team (and wear 31)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,780 / 47 / -26
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    The "Senior Highlights" bit threw me. Wasn't sure it was all LSU like the one I posted was or not (I know how some folks love to tear down based on level of competition).
  8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Thanks for posting the vid LBC. Unlike Blue's, your video doesn't violate GEMA's publishing standards, so I was actually able to watch it.
  9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +415 / 7 / -1
    4 or 5 to make the 53??, seriously?

I see one of the NTs and that's about it. Others to the PS at best.
  10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 1 / -0
    With our lack of depth at NT, if we don't sign someone in FA I could see both Geathers, and Jerideau making the 53.
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Look at our roster, first thing you see is lack of depth and what is there are players who have either floated from TC to TC or have been 3rd or 4th options in their short careers.

Aside from the few spots where we have a key spot full I expect every spot to be open.

Im still scratching my head as to why Brandon Moore and Kwame Geathers went undrafted. I think they could be steals along with some of the other kids brought in
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,780 / 47 / -26
    Geathers looks like he'd be more suited to play DE from the tape I've seen. 6' 6" is awfully tall to play NT, and he gets pushed off the ball a lot. The guy can't get low enough to win the battle at the nose. He might provide depth at DE though.

Jerideau looks like a legitimate NT prospect, and should make the roster since we don't really have many options at the position right now.
  13. Devo

Devo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    You need a steady rotation at NT.
    Those big boys get tired quickly, and when they get tired they stand up. When they stand up they get pushed back.
    Jerideau and Geathers have a better chance than the other UDFAs to make the final 53, I think, because there is a lack of depth at NT and because you need to keep fresh legs in the middle.
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,780 / 47 / -26
    At 6' 6", Geather already looks like he's standing up...... when he gets tired, it's even worse.

I can think of only one other starting NT that was as tall. It's a disadvantage at that position. The low man wins, and that's tough, when you have to bend down that much.
  15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    It's not even exclusively about having to bend down, it's how much time he spends with his glutes, hamstrings, and quads activated while in his stance. If you get into a deadlift stance and hold it for too long getting yourself set up for the lift (or showing someone else how to position themselves) you'll start to get stiff through those muscles. I'm only 198 lbs, so I can imagine that at 300+ it would be even more challenging.

I really like this Jerideau guy, he looks like he has the right build and the right attitude to be a good NT.
  16. hash_tag_nat

hash_tag_nat KISS THE RING.

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    it is a disadvantage but he's only an inch taller than guys who start at this position (6'5), of course the shorter guy can get lower but when u have the pure mass that this kid has it's not a bad thing.

terrence cody is 6'4 , ratliff is 6'4, kris jenkins 6'5 , ngata is versatile and can play the nt even though his position is LDE he is 6'4 , shaun cody is 6'4.

I don't think Geathers is a legit 6'6 i could be wrong but usually you aren't as tall as you are listed. If he can learn to take doubles better then I think he can succeed. He played well against Bamas line. I think there is some upside to this one. I think Geathers and Jerideau have a good chance of making the 53.
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    You would be correct. Teams/draft sites/media always round up so long as the player eclipses the previous whole number in terms of measurements. Geathers is 6'5 1/4"
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,780 / 47 / -26
    That could be, but I think Jerideau has a better height and body type to play the nose. He also looks quicker and appears to have a better motor. Granted, that's not from extensive viewing, but it doesn't take too much tape to give you an idea of a guy's athleticism and hustle.
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,780 / 47 / -26
    That could also mean that Jerideau is shorter than his listed 6' 1". ;)
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    He is (6'0.7"), but he's closer to 6'1" than Geathers is to 6'6".
  21. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 1 / -0
    If I remember right, Jerideau is like 6'3/4" something like that.
  22. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +45 / 4 / -0
    WOW THIS KID IS HUNGRY!! I almost pissed onmyself.. watching the tape of him and LSU... My Goosh... Mercy!
  23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I like this kid a lot as a prospect. I'm just curious about how a guy with prototype NT size from a major program went undrafted. Thoughts?
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,780 / 47 / -26
    :cautious: :confused: :unsure:
  25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    To be quite honest, many of the players that went undrafted this year were quite a surprise. The same could be said about Matt Scott, Kwame Geathers, Da'Rick Rodgers, Alvin Bailey, Joseph Fauria, Chase Thomas, Keith Pough, Kevin Reddick, Jawan Jamison, Jake Stoneburner (who I heard nothing but great things about), Ray Graham

Either all of these players were truly over valued, or this really was a very deep draft class. The proof of Jordan Poyer (who from what I understand, had no red flags and who many people had pegged in the 2nd) went in the 7th. Or we can blame his fall on J Walking:whistling:
  26. Devo

Devo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +17 / 0 / -0
  27. Devo

Devo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +17 / 0 / -0
  28. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    No need to apologize. This is football, not rocket surgery.
    Jerideau offers a lot to like. Hope he makes the cut.