1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Can Rivers hit the ground running?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RMANCIL, Jul 20, 2006.

1. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Can Rivers hit the ground running?

I hope fans give Rivers a little slack early on ,he will need about a third of the season to begin to settle in and remember most QB need about 30- 35 games to get it.

A ton of fans think he should be pro bowl get -go and that is just wrong.
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    I dont think he will have to if the O line steps up and opens holes for LT and Turner, and Cam realizes that he can call running plays that do more than just run up the gut.
  3. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    I watched the Chargers-Raiders today from last year in Oakland....the one where LT has a pass catch, run and a throwing TD.

Anyways, at one point...Drew was 15-19 in that game but 8 of his completions were to LT and NEAL!!!( 4 apiece)

I know Philip will be checking down a lot of times too but i see him airing it out more than Drew did...and we were 2 of 10 on 3rd downs in that game as well.

I dont expect Philip to come out of the gate being a gunslinger. He will get better every week but i dont see us being afraid to throw it at all either.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Maybe he will air it out more. But people dont seem to realize that Cam's offense is a safe, short range offense. It is not a wild air it out sorta deal. Go look at all the plays with Flutie and Brees. 90% are short distance. Dont hold your breath for this long distance bombfest in Cam's world, leave us to remember it is the coaches that call the plays, not our QBs.
  5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    ABSOLUTELY...

he's had ample time to mentally prepare... he's worked sessions with his WR's... he's doing his homework... and if Cam was allowed to interview, I'd bet he'd say, PR WILL be ready...

I love the kids maturity... and ya can't discount the 4 years as a starter... and last years scout team work with Jackson... I'm not in the camp that expects a reduced playbook for him...

this will be fun!!! damn 1 week till TC....

BOLT FEVER - I'VE CAUGHT IT!!!

and get your arse to SF Ron... :yes:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan New Member

Ratings Received:
    +331 / 0 / -0
    bout sums it up. fact is.....can Rivers hit the ground runnin?? That boy has been runnin his whole life!!!!!! LOOK OUT NFL!!!!!!!!!!! :tup:
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    no reason to suggest he couldn't
    Just based on his stats he was the guy everyone thought was the most ready to step in and immediately play. With two extra years to learn he should know what's going on. But he will not be throwing the ball much at all, as much as i think that's a bad idea. So running isn't exactly accurate.
  8. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Rivers' 1st pass should be a long one.

Scare Tactics
  9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Agreed.

There is no reason to give Rivers any slack whatsoever. He should be ready and that is all there is to it. This is year 3 and he has had his spot action.

If anything, I expect to see the playbook opened up for deep crossing stuff to open up the underneath routes and lanes.

The fact we have a stadium in the balance means Rivers can not afford to be the weak link or else it will get UGLY and there will be hell to pay from the fans.

Does he need to be ProBowl-like ? Not necessarily because we have the talent to compensate but he can not be the weak link.
  10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I agree as well.

I would love to see Eric Parker be the recipient of an "in-stride" post pattern for 6......that dude is due.....