1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Castillo Draws Praise

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Aug 4, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +252 / 1 / -0
    <strong>August 4, 2005</strong>
    Source: <a href="http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=2223">Chargers.com</a>

Practice this morning at Chargers Park started off with basic workout drills for all corps. The linemen worked on stripping the ball from defenders, the running backs worked on cuts and the receivers did a few route drills.

Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer was impressed with the improvements of the rookies who are progressing very well in camp.

"Luis Castillo has been very impressive," Schottenheimer said. "He has very good quickness in his feet, and he understands leverage. When you look at him out here, there's nothing that bothers him."

During 9 on 7 drills, tackle Shane Olivea took down Shawne Merriman who was rushing the quarterback. Merriman redeemed himself later on when he beat Carlos Joseph on the outside to put a huge hit on running back Derek Farmer.

After a strong rookie season, Olivea is having an impressive camp. He continues to improve and is poised for another great year.

"Mentally I'm feeling as good as I've ever felt." Olivea said. "I feel like I'm extremely sharp. There's so much more confidence coming from this year's camp as opposed to last year. I'm really excited about this season coming up. I just think that in another couple weeks I will get my physical preparation done as far as my technique, hand placement and run blocking."

One rookie out to impress this camp is Vincent Jackson, who during team drills made a spectacular diving catch from Philip Rivers for a 25 yard completion.

"We had a deep play action pass crossing to the opposite side of the field and I just got on top of the safety and Rivers just led me and I just went and got it," Jackson said. "It's just another day on the grind. We're out here working hard and throwing in some new plays, it's just part of the process. I'm still learning and getting better everyday."

The players and coaches are not the only personnel on the field getting work done. The Chargers use referees during their practices to advise the players on how to avoid penalties.

"For the receivers, the referees tell you how to line up on the ball and not to be over the line of scrimmage," Wide receiver Malcom Floyd said. "It's kind of helping out all of us, especially the defensive backs. They just implemented that five yard rule last year and you can't touch receivers after five yards and referees let the defensive backs know that so they don't do it again in the future."

Others who stood out during this morning's practice was cornerback Jamar Fletcher, who made a leaping interception during a passing drill. Fellow corner Drayton Florence was another notable who laid a vicious hit on one of the running backs during team drills. Michael Turner is also drew Schottenheimer's praise after "The Burner" executed some nice cuts during 9 on 7 drills.

Players who did not practice today because of injury were Igor Olshansky (hamstring), Courtney Van Buren (knee), Ben Leber (foot), Malcolm Floyd (calf), Ryan Krause (foot), Randall Godfrey (Knee) and Marques Harris (back).