1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Challenges ahead for Chargers' Philip Rivers, but he has faith

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 11 / -0
    :inlove:

Challenges ahead for Chargers' Philip Rivers, but he has faith

BY SAM FARMER

August 27, 2013, 9:40 p.m.

SAN DIEGO — The most meaningful pass of Philip Rivers' life wound up in the arms of the pope.

It happened in May, when the San Diego Chargers quarterback and his extended family visited the Vatican and were in a crowd of thousands for a Wednesday papal audience. Rivers, a devout Catholic, had a prime spot in the crowd and was holding the youngest of his six children, Pete, who will turn 2 in October.

"I was about 10 yards away, and the crowd kind of opened up," Rivers said. "Pope Francis just kind of motioned like, 'Bring him to me.' Pete was like, 'No! What are you doing?!" But we passed him to the pope. It was awesome. The pope kissed him, blessed him. We got great pictures of it."

That moment was a highlight of what has been an incredibly trying — and unexpectedly gratifying — two years for the Pro Bowl passer, who is in the most turbulent stretch of his nine-year NFL career. His team is coming off a 7-9 season, one that cost coach Norv Turner his job and kept the Chargers out of the playoffs for a third consecutive year.

Rivers, meanwhile, has gone from elite to inconsistent, committing a combined 47 turnovers in the last two seasons. Shoddy pass protection and a dwindling cast of capable receivers are partly to blame, but Rivers has absorbed the bulk of the criticism, and accepts that.

"Last year was the first losing season I've ever been a part of," said Rivers, 31, sitting outside a coffee shop near team headquarters. "You feel like you let down so many people. You realize that your play affects so many people's lives. You've got to be careful trying to think about that often because that's too much. But it's the truth. It's a tough business."

Real life can be tougher. Rivers and his wife, Tiffany, got that reminder after the season when their 5-year-old son, Gunner, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. The couple has four girls, two boys, and another child due in October.

"He's football all the time, nonstop energy all the time," Rivers said of Gunner. "And late in the football season last year he didn't want to play as much, he started to lose weight. He had to pee all the time. We took him in, and his blood sugar was 700 [the acceptable range is closer to 80 to 100, Rivers said]. He's dying there right in front of you. It's terrible."

Gunner was admitted into the hospital, and his situation was stabilized. Meanwhile, a family so fortunate in so many ways struggled to catch its breath.

"When he came home from the hospital, he was showing his sisters all the diabetes-related stuff he got," Rivers said. "To me, I don't know why, that was the toughest day. I got home and, shoot, I lost it. I was bawling, crying. He was so excited to show them, and I was just thinking, 'Man, his life's changed forever.' I remember the one thought in my head was, 'Gosh, you're going to have to prick his finger to go play catch in the yard. Goodness gracious.'"

Over the days that followed, Rivers said, he and his wife went from a sense of overwhelming sadness to gratitude.

"A couple nights in, we were starting to get the hang of it," he said. "I just remember how thankful we were that he's going to be healthy. He's going to be fine. He's here. If this is our burden, then we can live with this."

That's typical of Rivers the football player. He refuses to dwell on the negative and is unwaveringly positive, something that comes through in his voice, his facial expressions and his occasionally over-the-top, fist-pumping exuberance on the field.

"He's eternally optimistic, always upbeat and has an endless amount of energy," Chargers center Nick Hardwick said. "He's a terrific leader for us."

But as Rivers' statistics have slid since 2010 — a season when he completed 66% of his passes for 4,710 yards with 30 touchdowns and 13 interceptions — questions have percolated about whether he's the right quarterback to guide the franchise.

Rivers hears the doubters and has learned to tune them out. Mostly.

"The thing that's gotten to me this off-season is, 'Who's going to fix Philip?'" Rivers said. "That phrase, I almost laugh it off. That drives me nuts, really.

"There's no question I'm responsible for some of the plays and some of the games we haven't won. I'm not going to shy away from that. But we can go sit in there and watch a lot of tape from last year, and I'll ask you, 'What do you want to fix?' It's just about eliminating some of the bad plays."

That's what the Chargers intend to do this season, even though questions linger about the line's ability to protect Rivers and the lack of playmaking receivers. He was sacked 49 times last season, roughly twice as frequently as he was sacked during the team's playoff years.

Hardwick called the notion that Rivers needs to be fixed "a huge misnomer."

"We went through bad times, and as a team things got away from us," the center said. "We've had some unbelievable years here in the past, but as a team in the most recent past, we kind of lost our direction just a touch. To say that he's broken is absolutely wrong."

That said, no matter who is to blame, the bad plays have taken their toll on the quarterback.

"I never lost confidence," Rivers said. "But there's no question that when you have games like that, you don't feel the same way. When you've made that throw three or four games in a row, it's a lot easier to pull the trigger the next time. But when maybe it's been an interception the last couple, it's a little harder to make it. It's human nature. It's that feeling of 'Be careful!' rather than that 'Aw, [the defender] can't get there.'"

Now, for the first time in nine years, Rivers is learning a new offense. It isn't etched in stone. He's had a lot of input, as have Coach Mike McCoy, offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and quarterbacks coach Frank Reich.

"This was unique as far as our off-season, because we were blending a lot of different things," Whisenhunt said. "One of the things that was important to us was that this guy [Rivers] and this team have done a lot of great things, regardless of anything that's been said. If you look at what they've done offensively, they've made some big-time plays in big-time situations. That goes back to Philip."

The biggest challenge for Rivers has been learning the new language of the offense. He has grown increasingly comfortable with that over the course of training camp.

"Early on it was, 'Here's the new play and what we call it,'" Rivers said. "I would always have to translate it back in my mind. 'That's our old 678.' Now, I don't have to do that anymore. Now, when I hear something called, I see it right away."

His teammates have responded in kind. Reich, who played quarterback in the NFL for 14 seasons, calls Rivers "one of the best leaders I've ever been around."

"Guys in his position tend to have big egos," Reich said. "Philip doesn't. I couldn't have a higher opinion of him as a person."

Around the Chargers, stories of Rivers' humility are legendary. Two years ago, he was scheduled to give a 20-minute speech in Phoenix to the Catholic Men's Fellowship. His flight was canceled, however. Instead of bowing out, he got in his truck and made the 700-mile round trip. The Chargers learned about it only after an event attendee wrote to them.

Rivers attends Mass before each game, either on Saturday night or early Sunday, and especially likes checking out new churches when he's on the road.

"You see all the jerseys from the opposing teams in there," he said. "Very rarely will I be recognized. Then I go back to the hotel and go to the game. But I'm in a cab coming back from Mass four hours before the kick."

The reason the Rivers family was in Europe this spring is they had made a pilgrimage to France to take Gunner to the Christian holy site of Lourdes, where the waters have reputed healing powers.

In many ways, Gunner's diabetes has brought the family even closer.

"One night we're at dinner, early after we found out," Rivers recalled. "He had already had his medicine, and he wanted a Popsicle. It was movie night at our house and they were going to have popcorn. I said, 'Hey, Gunner, you can have the Popsicle if you want, but you probably can't have the popcorn. Not both. Or you can just wait and have the popcorn.' The medicine I'd given him could cover one or the other, and I didn't want to give him another shot.

"He had the Popsicle. Later, we were watching the movie, and the three older girls said, 'If Gunner can't have popcorn, we won't have popcorn.' So in that way it's been good. You learn and grow and it's good."

All is in keeping with the quarterback's mantra — faith, family and football, in that order.

"For me, coming home after games, let's say we got beat on the road, you pull in at 2 a.m. and there's bicycles and scooters and sidewalk chalk all over the place," Rivers said. "And it's just kind of like, everything's going to be all right."

sam.farmer@latimes.com

Twitter: @LATimesfarmer
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,376 / 36 / -16
    Could the question refer to something else?

Bob.png
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    Wow great read. Did not know that about his son. Poor little guy. Makes me wanna root for Philip even more than I do already. We're lucky to have him here.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    Wow. I thought good journalism was extinct. Hmm. Maybe only here in San Diego.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
  6. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 1 / -0
  7. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +135 / 3 / -0
    Rivers has seven, going on eight kids? Wow- is he trying to catch up to that kid producing machine Antonio Cromartie?

Anyways- nice article. Didn't know that he's only had one losing season... ever.
  8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +405 / 8 / -0
    I think he has 6 going on 7, but I´ll bet he can recite all of their names
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +972 / 2 / -2
    And they all have the same Mommy, what a novel concept in today's world.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 4 / -0
    Now THAT was a great read! Makes me like Philip Rivers all the more. Of course, the fact that he's a Catholic who (mostly) practices what he preaches has always been in his favor, but then I'm a little biased. Good for him!
  11. English

English BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    That was a very good read indeed. In these days of 'out of touch' sportsmen cast adrift from reality, it's good to read of one with his feet firmly on the ground and who always appears humble.

Go #17
    • Agree Agree x 1