1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Charger Roster Evaluation Draft Solution Board

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RMANCIL, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Doubt ew pick a RB in the first round anyways. Im just giving my opinion of the ones i like for our team. I think we can get a backup RB anywhere and have other things we need than a RB that high.

Yes, i meant Schmitt and my point was id bet the farm that 90% of the posters here didnt know who he was till that run. I like Schimtt but Norv isnt that big on a FB and has said he would use more one back sets when Neal retires. No way we pick Schmitt in the first round.

Most everyone thinks we will get a 3rd for Donnie and it is not going to happen.
  2. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    No we wont even be thinking RB at this point. I agree with you I think that our first round pick must be used on someone who is going to start right away! We must get max value out of this pick since we lack in this department! I still think AJ tries to trade out of the first and into the early second to gain extra picks!

Probably most didnt know who Schmitt was...I saw that run in the bowl game and you have to admit for a big FB that was a hell of a run...However if I didnt follow the draft and prospects I could see your point where he would all the sudden be considered good because of 1 highlight reel but I have been paying attention to Schmitt for about 3 years now and he is a stud. My point I was trying to make is if AJ wants to get a FB and he is there in the 4th round I would take a shot at him, but we wont cause of Norval!

No if you go to the compensitory picks thread in this forum I posted about what a compensitory pick was. I posted that we will get no higher than a 5th for him and more than likely a 6th!

Thanks alot for coming in here and giving us your opinion, I took over this forum about 3 weeks ago cause no one ever came in here...I hoping to get you guys to start coming in here more often and submitting mocks etc...Thanks again for your input!
  3. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +955 / 2 / -2
    I've gotta go buy a drum and start beating on it Ron! :D
  4. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Dave you do that Buddy. :lol:

eldwin I think you could be right if one of the top CB is on the board, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. Next up the DL , Foobs isn't going to be happy.
  5. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    I am here brotha!
  6. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Saw today that Steve Slaton has said he is staying in school
  7. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    When anyone talks DL and the draft the first name you here is Jamal Williams . Drafted by Bobby Beathard in the second round in the supplemental draft 1998 Williams has steadily worked at his craft.

Williams has suffered major injuries in 2001 and 2002 and as a result missed significant playing time. 2003 saw a return to health for Jamal.The Chargers switched to the 3-4 defense in 2004 with the arrival of defensive head coach Wade Phillips.

Williams hard work played off in 2004 as he was named first-alternate to Pro Bowl, first-team All-Pro by SportsIllustrated.com, second-team All-Pro by Associated Press and Football Digest, named to USA Today’s All-Joe Team , Chargers Defensive Player of Year and Lineman of Year.

The 2005 season saw the Chargers land in the playoffs for the 1st time since 1994 and Williams lead defense was a key component. 2006 saw the awards once again piling up for Williams as he was named a starter in 2007 Pro Bowl...first-team All-Pro by Associated Press, Sporting News, USA Today Sports Weekly, Pro Football Weekly & The Professional Football Writers of America...also earned first-team All-AFC honors from PFW and PFWA .

Williams ninth season as a Charger however has found to be marred with a return of the leg injuries that haunted him early in his career . The Chargers now rotate him out on obvious passing downs.

Igor Olshansky has been a three-year starter since he was drafted in the second round in 2004. He set the record for the 225 bench press with over 40 repetitions during the pro day work outs clearly establishing him as one of the strongest players in the draft.

Igor has been a three-year starter since he was drafted in the second round in 2004. In each of those three years, the Bolts have ranked in the league’s top seven in rushing defense.

2006 Olshansky suffered a sprained knee which he struggled with the entire season. 2007 has been his best season his progression as a pass rusher in the 3-4 saw great strides. At 6-6 he is a tall DE who can block passing lanes however he must work on his timing.

His strength should allow him to play NT and he has seen some action however in past interviews he has voiced concerns about taking on that role. He is tall for a NT and he would have to over come concerns about his knee.

Luis Castillo is one of the most physically gifted big men in football. His agility and quickness along with a sharp mind have put him on the fast track to stardom. If the Chargers did not have Merriman getting most of the press you can bet more fans would read about Castillo.

The 3-4 defense with the DL getting double teams a great deal leads to a lot of injuries to lineman's knees and ankles and Castillo has suffered injuries in 2006 and 2007. When healthy he has shown ability to rush the passer and to play the run. His combination of strength and quickness has also been demonstrated on screen plays as he is able to read the play and chase down the RB.

Luis has played both the DE and some NG in the Charger 3-4 and is the units best pass rusher. Castillo as 1# st round selection in 2005 should have a long and rewarding career ahead of him.

The reserves:

Brandon McKinney NT 6-2 324 is a very strong player at the point of attack however he struggles when doubled teamed and has not developed any pass rushing moves. UDFA from 2006 class.

Jacques Cesaire 6-2-295 has played all 3 DL slots and is a very good pass rusher in this defense. He struggles holding ground and then slipping blocks in the run game. Suffered knee injury 2006. 1st signed as undfa 2003.

Ryon Bingham 6-3 303 7 th round draft choice 2004 has been a key sub at all three DL slots he is strong against the run but has yet to demonstrate any pass rushing skills.

The 2008 draft class is very thin at this position. Glenn Dorsey LSU is the best in this class and is projected as a top 5 selection. Dorsey was injured by a chop block in a game vs Tennessee and as a result his play slipped after he came back from injury. This may hurt him some on draft day still it is extremely unlikely he is on the board when the Bolts draft.

Sedric Ellis is just behind Dorsey and at 6-2 295 he would be a great fit at DE and as a NT on passing downs. He is a great penetrator but he will need to bulk up some if he would ever be expected to play NT on run downs. He again should be gone before the Chargers draft.

Chris Long DE 6'3" 266 is a player who is getting a ton of press at this time. I have not seen a lot of him however based on what I have read he is a lock to be gone in the top 10.

Calais Campbell DE 6-7, 282
    2006 ranked second on the team with 10.5 sacks half a sack behind Kareem Brown, 4th round pick in 2007.In the ACC, he ranked third and was two sacks behind ACC leader and All-American Gaines Adams (1 round pick of the ’07 draft) of Clemson.

The jury is out on him right now. His game will get a lot of attention as he has the size that makes him a pretty good fit at DE in a stand 4-3. A few articles are coming out to help give us fans a better insite to him.

His height would pretty much eliminate him from NT but it is possible that he could fit as a DE in the 3-4.

Kentwan Balmer DT 6'4" 297 NORTH CAROLINA
    Is a player who has risen up the draft boards big time the last few weeks. I have not seen him play but their is a good scouting report on him.

Strengths: Gets good forward lean in stance and is quick enough to make plays in the backfield when lined up at tackle. Takes sound angles to the ball and makes plays in pursuit. Plays with a good motor and always seems to be around the ball at the end of the play. Generally wraps up upon contact and is an adequate open field tackler. Athletic, flashes the ability to redirect inside after setting blockers up to the outside and is a relentless pass rusher. Moves well laterally and runs line stunts well. Shows adequate awareness, times jumps well and he gets hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback. Can line up at defensive end or tackle and is versatile. Blocked two kicks last year and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite top-end speed for an end and is going to have problems turning the corner when lined up on the outside. Plays too high, hasn't shown great lower body strength and can get driven back when lines up on the inside. Doesn't use hands well and can take too long to shed blocks. Doesn't always drive legs once in position and isn't a powerful bull rusher that can consistently collapse the pocket.

Overall: During his first three seasons (2004-'06) Balmer appeared in 30 games (11 starts) at defensive end and defensive tackle recording 34 total tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, and 3.5 sacks. He underwent right knee surgery following the 2005 season and suffered a sprained ankle at the end of 2006 forcing him to miss two games. Balmer isn't a great fit at defensive tackle or end but his quickness and athletic ability make him disruptive when he lines up inside and he's big and strong enough to set the edge when lined up at end.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.
  8. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Marcus Harrison DT 6'2" 303 ARKANSAS
    Is a good looking player who projects in the 2-3 rounds right now. Harrison is very strong often bull rushing OG .

Strengths: Possesses good height and has room to add bulk to his frame. Displays very good initial burst. Is quick and mobile. At his best when on the move. Shows the burst to get through the line of scrimmage and can be very disruptive versus the run. Displays impressive change-of-directions skills and will make more plays in pursuit than most defensive tackles. Plays with adequate leverage. Displays some initial power at the point of attack and will give a good effort when taking on blocks. Does an excellent job of reading screens. Takes good angles in pursuit and is a very sound open-field tackler for his position. Flashes upside as a pass rusher.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk and lower body strength. Is not a good fit for a two-gap system. Struggles to take on blocks and does not show the base to anchor in a phone booth. Despite great quickness and mobility for his position, his sack production has never been good. He needs to be more consistent anticipating the snap. Also must improve his array of pass rush moves. Durability is a concern. He had some nagging injuries in 2005 that limited him in several games but did not prevent him from playing in all 11 games. He missed one game (Alabama) in 2006 due to a knee injury that required surgery and started just five of the 13 games he played in while nursing the knee injury and a concussion throughout most of that season.

Overall: In Harrison's first three seasons (2004-06) he saw action in 35 games (24 starts) at bandit end and left defensive tackle, finishing with 105.5 tackles, 11 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. Harrison is a talented one-gap defensive tackle with impressive quickness, power and body control. He has been a force when healthy but nagging injuries during his sophomore and junior seasons have stunted his growth. In order to maximize his potential as a Day 1 prospect in the 2008 class, Harrison needs to finally experience a healthy breakout year as a senior.

Frank Okam DT 6'4" 325

Is a player that finds himself high on a lot of mock draft boards by people who have not seen him play. Simply put looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. I see him falling like a rock in the draft.

Strengths: Possesses a massive frame. Is tall with exceptional bulk. Has good mobility when his legs are fresh. Will flash the ability to overpower offensive linemen at the point of attack. A space-eater that requires lots of double-team attention versus the run. Ideal for a two-gap scheme. Displays the ability to disengage, find the ball and disrupt in the backfield. Can occasionally be effective as a bull-rushing pass rusher.

Weaknesses: Effort is far too inconsistent. Gives up on plays too easily and takes far too many plays off. He will dominate an offensive lineman one down and get pushed around by the same player the next down. Doesn't protect his legs very well and leaves his feet too frequently. His anticipation skills are marginal; he gets too many late jumps and will jump offside too often. Needs to show better overall discipline. Not very productive as a pass rusher. Lacks the explosive initial quickness and closing burst to consistently penetrate. Stamina and conditioning are clearly problems. He wears down quickly and he's hardly on the field very long as it is.

Overall: Okam has played in 37 games (26 starts) during his first three seasons (2004-'06), recording 108 total tackles, 17 tackles for loss, and five sacks. He missed one game in 2006 due to injury. Okam's upside is nearly limitless. In addition to a massive frame, he flashes the mobility and power to dominate the interior. However, much like Michigan's Alan Branch, who dropped out of this year's first round, Okam's motor is too inconsistent. He needs to turn it up a notch and play with more fire in order to maximize his draft stock, which easily could reach top-10 heights. As it stands right now, though; we believe Okam is one of the most overrated prospects in the 2008 class.

Red Bryant DT 6'4" 325 TEXAS A&M

Strengths: Shows good initial quickness for size, aggressive and makes the occasional play in the backfield. Plays with a mean streak, shows good upper body strength and can shed blocks quickly though a little inconsistent in this area. Has excellent size and can anchor when teams run at him. Flashes an effective rip move and shows a good not great motor when rushing the passer. Gets hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback, times jumps well and excels at tipping passes. Blocked an extra-point attempt last year, blocked a kick in 2004 and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal closing speed and doesn't always get there when gets a clear path to the quarterback. Takes too long to change directions, doesn't show a wide variety of pass rush moves and doesn't force offensive linemen to redirect in pass protection. Though flashes the ability to collapse the pocket, doesn't always get under blocker's pads, doesn't always drive legs once in position and is an inconsistent bull rusher at this point. Doesn't always use hands to protect legs and really struggles to get over cut blocks. Lacks ideal range and isn't going to make many plays in pursuit. Has some problems locating the ball carrier and gets caught out of position at times. Is coming off a season-ending knee injury and durability is a concern.

Overall: Bryant arrived at Texas A&M in 2003 and was redshirted. Over the next three seasons (2004-'06) he started 30 of the 32 games he suited up for registering 81 total tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss, and 5.5 sacks. Bryant missed the final four contests in 2006 after sustaining a season-ending knee surgery that required surgery. Bryant doesn't have ideal closing speed or athletic ability but he has the quickness, size and toughness to develop into an excellent interior run stuffer if he can stay healthy and sharpen his technique.

Update Jamal Williams was MIA the entire second half of the playoff game Vs the Colts.

Chargers beat Indy and move on to the A.F.L. title game . Bruised and battered the Chargers team plays with heart I have never been prouder of a Bolt team never.
  9. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Slaton changes his mind, enters draft

He didnt have the year he had last year but his stats are still pretty decent.

210 carries, 1,053 yards, 17 rushing touchdowns

He had 1178 Yards rushing as a freshman and 1744 as sophomore last year.

As i stated earlier, he didnt get as many carries because QB Pat White ran more this year and they worked in another RB as well (Noel Devine)

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/108-01132008-1470414.html
  10. stone86

stone86 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    MAKE DENNIS DIXON AND JONATHAN STEWART CHARGERS!
  11. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    lol!
  12. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    I'd agree if you are talking post 1st rd, but there's enough potential first rd talent to survive until our pick... and now along with Balmer, Pat Sims gives us another option... I love Sims production and upside... but if not DL, I'm intrigued with Reggie Smith from OU at safety...

at 31, we'll have a shot at a very good player now that all the kids have come out to play, especially at CB and RB... as I don't think Oliver is fast enough for the nickel...

tomorrow is the cutoff for juniors to declare - then the slotting fun starts...
  13. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    To be honest with you Balmer really doesnt fit our scheme! He is WAY to light to be a 3-4 DT! If you all want BEEF like I keep hearing better get some a little heavier than 298! That is small for a 3-4 DT! The only guy I know that size that could move to DT is Igor and thats just cause of his pure strength and he probably couldnt do it!
  14. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Well once again for me, i like a OT in round one and i do believe the best value in round 1 is a OT or a RB but i hate to pick a RB in round 1 although Felix Jones would be very hard to pass up.

The only round 1 DT i like besides Dorsey is Okam and he may be a reach...maybe not.
    OT imo is by far the best value to need possition in our pick area. Id love for Gosder Cherilus to still be there.
    BC produces some good OL.

We can possibly get a DT in the 4th round and there id love to see Red Bryant still on the board.

I still wont count out McKinney for us either.

And Ron......Oliver is going to be a good one for us. He is faster than you think and the kid is a football player!
  15. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I would not be shocked if Okam was on the board in the third round. He looks great but has no motor and he gets pushed around.

After seeing LT go out against the Colts and knowing Turner is going to be gone I think that the RB will get a lot of attention. Bolt jolt I know your a Oliver fan but come on he was a 4th round pick.

His speed quickness numbers were horrible. I hope that he does make the move to safety as we need help big time at those slots and clearly the kid has good football instincts.

LT we know that 298 is small for NT on run plays 298 can play DE in the 3-4 and fact is most of these guys grow into the position. None of the DL with the exception of Okam has the size you want and fact is Okam at 6-5 is a bit tall.

Igor (309) has played NT for us as has Castillo (298) , Williams 348 is unmatched in size and strength and their isn't a NT/DT that can match 9 ability /size) him at this point in the draft.

That said we still are hurting at DL as all three starters have missed time with leg injuries.
  16. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0

I understand that, but the job of a 3-4 DT is not really to be in the backfield as much as it is to plug the middle against the run! 3-4 DT consistantly take double teams all day and a guy that is 298 lbs is going to get moved around all day!

I know that Igor has played at DT, I also understand that Castillo but my point was that neither could probably stand a 16 game season at DT....I think is a need on the DL but specificaly at DT. Balmer would not fit our scheme hence he will probably not be drafted! If a team that runs a 3-4 drafts him it probably to move him to DE!
  17. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you in that you would like to have a bigger player at NT on run downs but at this point I don't see one. That said we still need DE and we could use a penetrator NT on 3rd down as pushing the pocket is very important on passing downs.

Red Bryant DT 6'4" 325 TEXAS A&M comes the closest to filling the bill and right now he projects as a 2-3 however we don't have a pick in that area of the draft. He just might be a player that Smith would trade some choices for on draft day if he was on the board.

I don't at this point rule out Balmer as it looks like he would be a addition to our rotation if in fact he was drafted as he could play DE and NT on passing downs . I do agree he would not start but it is very doubtful that any player at any position would start for the Chargers right away.
  18. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    SanDiegoRon may have another DL prospect in Pat Sims

He has decent size to play DE in the 3-4 but he does look small on run downs at NT again though he has a great frame so he will grow.
  19. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
  20. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    he's a junior, and we know that AJ LOVES juniors....:lol: he gets an extra year outta them... naw, this kid maybe "the one'.... you saw his youtube, right... that's some really nasty quickness for playing over center...

with the bolts playing alot of down 4 recently, this guy would be (to use a Marty-ism) terrrrific....
  21. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    RB will get attention i just dont think it will be in the first round. Backup RB's arent that had to find. The Giants have a lot of them and traded away another before the season they had in Ryan Grant. We will find some...but again, i really wouldnt mind Felix Jones at all but i just dont think a RB in round one is a priority.

As for Oliver......i dont care that he was a 4th round pick. Shaun Phillips was a 4th round pick and as far as im concerned, we got a steal!!

Im also not concerned about his speed numbers either considering the way his workout went down. Doesnt concern me at all. I dont know what he would run when prepared( i have seen 4.46) like everybody else was at the combine but if he runs a 4.5...he is as fast as Jammer and many other CB's in the NFL.

Oliver also plays fast and is a study of the game.
  22. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    OLB and Cb are two different positions Phillips first two steps make him and his pass rush and you can't time that. Time will tell on Oliver and I will be happy to eat crow if he should turn out to be a great CB but I think he has a much better shot at safety.

Jammer was a 4-4 guy out of school , Oliver ran 4.56 4.58 with a 33.3 vert he isn't a press corner maybe cover 2 CB. He is a little small as well he measured 5-10 and 5/8 at his Pro Day .

Jammer was a top 5 selection while Oliver is a 4th round supplemental selection. I don't have the same expectations for those players.
  23. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Well if you are going to hold on to those workout numbers under the circumstances then i can se why you are concerned but they dont concern me. I doubt very seriously he is a 4.58 guy. As ive said i have seen his numbers in college at 4.46.

He isnt going to play safety here and he would of been a much higher pick than a 4th rounder had he stayed in school. I dont have any qualms about Oliver at all. I look forward to seeing him play next year. Get that plate of Crow ready my friend!

As for Jammer...see, now you want to use his numbers coming out of college but he ran a 4.5 at the combine( i think it was the combine, mybe it was his proday) so him being a 4.4 guy is not correct.
  24. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    IMO,, another option for us late in the first...

from GBNreport:
    Oklahoma junior CB Reggie Smith has joined teammates Malcolm Kelly and Curtis Lofton in deciding to enter his name in the 2008 NFL Draft. Smith, who missed the Fiesta Bowl with a toe injury, had 78 tackles and 3 interceptions in 2007; at 6-0, 200 with average - for a 4.5 type speed - Smith could (will) also get a look at safety this winter.

and Jolt, there was a reason why Oliver was passed over by 30 clubs 4 times...:yes:
  25. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    http://www.gbnreport.com/scoutsnotebook.htm

here's a pretty good read....

THE 2008 DRAFT AND BEYOND

by Colin Lindsay, Editor and Publisher
    January 16, 2008

Best draft yet!!! That may be a little premature as there is still much sorting out to do, but on paper at least, the 2008 draft looks like it could be a very good one indeed. And the proof isn’t so much in the quality of the players at the very top of the draft board, but in the quality of the prospects further on down the draft board.

For example, we have players like QBs John David Booty of USC and Tennessee’s Erik Ainge, Florida WR Andre Caldwell, Boston College OT Gosder Cherilus, North Carolina DT Kentwan Balmer and CBs Antoine Cason of Arizona and Auburn’s Patrick Lee ranked in the early third round range on the GBN Big Board.

Of course, its possible that we have rated some of those players too low; however, if they move up other players have to move down. The message here is that there are a lot of very good prospects at a number of positions so teams need not necessarily force a pick in the opening round to fill a need.

One reason for the apparent strength of this year’s draft has been the influx of a very talented group of underclassmen. Indeed, as many as half of the players taken in this year’s opening round could very well be juniors, while over one in three of all players selected in the first three rounds could be underclassmen.

Again, while there is still a lot of sorting out to do before Miami makes he first pick on April 26th, here’s a quick run down on some of the strengths and weaknesses in the 2008 draft field:

To QB or not to QB… For starters, there will be a relatively strong QB class available this coming April. It is unlikely that a QB will go first overall, but Matt Ryan of Boston College and Brian Brohm of Louisville certainly will get long looks by QB-challenged teams with top 10 picks, while Andre’ Woodson of Kentucky shouldn’t be all that far behind. What makes this year’s QB class especially intriguing, though, is the fact there should be as many as a half dozen players at the position likely to grade out in the second and third round areas including John David Booty of Southern Cal, Colt Brennan of Hawaii, Michigan’s Chad Henne, Erik Ainge of Tennessee, Joe Flacco of Delaware and Dennis Dixon of Oregon.

There are also a couple of other lower levels QBs worth a long look in athletic Josh Johnson of San Diego and Ricky Santos of New Hampshire, while Paul Smith of Tulsa, another very athletic type, reminds some of the Cowboys’ Tony Romo, could still be out there early on the second day. Meanwhile, teams looking for a sleeper in the late rounds may take a shot at someone like 6-6 Kevin O’Connell of San Diego State. At the same time, though, there really isn’t a ton of depth in the 2008 QB draft class past the top dozen or so QBs prospects.

Meanwhile, the 2008 draft also appears to be loaded with talented skill position players for the young QBs to work with. For example, no position got a more of a boost from the entry of underclassmen into this year’s draft class than RB. Indeed, without the juniors, there probably isn’t a first round quality level back in the draft, however, the entry of juniors Darren McFadden and Felix Jones of Arkansas, Illinois’ Rashard Mendenhall, Texas speedster Jamaal Charles and Jonathan Stewart of Oregon gives the 2008 draft as many as 5 backs with size and speed - all 5 run the 40 in well under 4.5 seconds - who should all go in the opening round.

And there is exceptional depth at the position with seniors like Mike Hart of Michigan, Georgia Tech’s Tashard Choice and East Carolina speedster (C.Johnson), along with super productive juniors Ray Rice of Rutgers, Kevin Smith of Central Florida and Steve Slaton of West Virginia figuring in the later first day mix.

There is also a really fascinating WR class shaping up. Right now no WR has a lock on a first-round pick, although there are a slew of receivers including seniors Adarius Bowman of Oklahoma State, Limas Sweed of Texas and Early Doucet and juniors DeSean Jackson of California, James Hardy of Indiana, Malcolm Kelly of Oklahoma, Earl Bennett of Vanderbilt, Devin Thomas of Michigan State and Michigan’s Mario Manningham all with the skills to go in the top 30 picks.

The early returns also suggest that there will be a very deep class WR as the top tiers of receivers could go as many as 20 deep. Indeed, in our latest ranking of WRs, prospects like Andre Caldwell of Florida and Marcus Monk of Arkansas and juniors Davonne Bess of Hawaii and Adrian Arrington of Michigan, along with speedsters Harry Douglas of Louisville and Donnie Avery of Houston didn’t make the top 10, while guys like Lance Leggett of Miami, Jason Rivers of Hawaii, Paul Hubbard of Wisconsin, Eddie Royal of Virginia Tech and Will Franklin of Missouri ranked in the 20s, meaning they will almost assuredly last into the second day.

There is a similar story at CB where there likely aren’t any sure top 10 prospects, especially now that Ohio State junior Malcolm Jenkins has opted to return to school for one more shot at a BCS title, however, there is still plenty of talent starting with another Jenkins - Mike of South Florida - who should be off the board by the middle of the opening round, while Kansas junior Aqib Talib, Tracy Porter of Indiana, Tennessee State‘s Dominique Cromartie-Rodgers, Leodis McKelvin of Troy and Chris Godfrey of Iowa are more second round types that could sneak into the opening round.

Like the WR position, what stands out at CB is the depth as players like Patrick Lee of Auburn, Penn State junior Justin is King, Terrell Thomas of USC, Trae Williams of South Florida and Terrence Wheatley of Colorado, all of whom can really run, didn’t make the top 10 CBs, while Jack Williams of Kent State, Darnell Terrell of Missouri and Zach Bowman of Nebraska weren’t in the top 15.

The DE position also got something of a boost from the entry of three top juniors - Vernon Gholston of Ohio State, Derrick Harvey of Florida and Calais Campbell - each of whom should get a call somewhere in the middle of the opening round. Veteran Virginia DE Chris Long, though, should be the first DE off the board this April; indeed, if the draft were held today, Long just might get some consideration by Bill Parcells to be the Dolphins choice with the #1 pick overall.

Auburn tweener Quentin Groves could also get some late first round consideration, although more likely as a 3-4 rush LB. Indeed, there is something off a drop-off to the next tier of DEs.

Same story at DT where LSU’s Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis of USC are both top 10 types, while Auburn junior Pat Sims could be a rising star, however, while there is plenty of size at DT this fall, there is another major drop-off to the next level of DTs.

At one time, OT was expected to be the position of choice at the 2008 draft, however, there has been some erosion at the position since the start of the season. Still, both Jake Long of Michigan and Boise State junior Ryan Clady have top 5 potential, while another junior, Michael Oher of Ole Miss, should figure in the mid-first round mix.

There is also some solid depth at the position including veterans such as Sam Baker of USC and Gosder Cherilus of Boston College, both of whose stock appears to be dropping, while that of Pitt’s Jeff Otah, Vanderbilt’s Chris Wlliams, Carl Nicks of Nebraska, Heath Benedict of Newbrry, and Kansas junior Anthony Collins is rising. Teams looking for a stud OT, though, probably won’t want to wait too long this coming April.

Meanwhile, its very possible that no OG or C will be taken in the first three rounds this year, although there are a number of solid veterans with size who would make useful addition with mid-round picks.

There is also something of a mixed bag at LB where there will be some strength on the outside, while the pickings will be slimmer on the inside. There are, for example, 3-4 OLBs with the potential to be first round picks this year including Dan Connor of Penn State, Keith Rivers of USC, LSU’s Ali Highsmith, and Xavier Abidi of Virginia Tech, while Michigan’s Shawn Crable heads a group of 4-5 solid later first day prospects.

On the other hand, its unlikely that any MLB will go in the opening round, although juniors Curtis Lofton of Oklahoma and Jerod Mayo of Tennessee improve the first-day depth at the position.

Arguably the weakest position at the 2008 draft is safety where only Miami junior Kenny Phillips figures to be an opening round pick this year, although several junior CBs such as Aqib Talib of Kansas and Reggie Smith of Oklahoma could get late first round looks at safety :yes:. The depth at safety though is improving with the emergence of several solid second and third round prospects including Marcus Griffin of Texas, Alabama CB Simeon Castille, Quentin Demps of UTEP, Jamar Adams of Michigan, Michael Grant of Arkansas and Tyrell Johnson of Arkansas State.

*** hardly the best draft ever, but we'll get a damn good player at #31...
  26. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0

Yep, because of the workout that he wasnt really prepared for and you know, there is a reason Kyle Boller was the 19th overall pick........because GM's are stupid and fell for his impressive throw from his knees at the combine. I guess they didnt watch any tape of him to know he had a hard time hitting the broad side of a barn.

Dude was SOOO mediocre as a QB in college but yet, one task and Boller made himself a millionaire.

Wasnt it the Ex Dolphins GM ( Speilman) who once said that a 40 time was THE most important thing in a player? :yes:

Wonder what he is doing these days? Not all GM's are good ones...... Matt Millin also comes to mind.

And finally.......as you know, Terrel Davis was a 6th round pick as was Brady.

Other 4th rounders that have been pretty good?

CB Brian Williams,QB David Garrard,CB Anthoney Henry,RB Rudi Johnson,LB Edge Hartwell, DE Chris Canty,RB Marion Barber, S Ko Simpson ( who is going to be very good),LB Brady James, CB Terrence McGee,CB Asante Samuel, and our own Shaun Phillips and Matt Wilhelm. And Tanard Jackson has been very good this year as a rookie.

You guys dont believe...thats fine.
    He is going to be a good player, .....4th round or not. There have been plenty of failures from the first round.
  27. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    that was a mistake on Tenard Jackson, just like Canty... :icon_sad:
  28. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    In a 3- 4 defense the heart and sole of that set is the LB group. The Chargers have a pretty darn good group. The best of which are clearly the OLB.

Shaun Phillips Fourth-round draft pick (98) by Chargers, April 25, 2004 . Finished career as Purdue’s all-time leader with 33.5 career sacks…also left campus with third-most tackles for loss (60.5) among 231 total tackles and added nine forced fumbles…started 49 straight games for Boilermakers…second-team All-America by Associated Press. 2004: Tied for second on Charger squad with four sacks…was second-most sacks among rookie linebackers.

2005 recorded 7.0 sacks off the bench along with 32 tackles a 1 pass defense.

2006 Elevated to starter following loss of Steve Foley. He recorded 11.5 sacks 6 pass defense and 65 combined stops.

2007 8.5 sacks 68 combined stops with 5 pass defensed.

Phillips has missed action due to injury each of the past three seasons , 1-2007 ,2-2006 , 1- 2005. Currently at age 26 he has yet to reach his prime . His play is on par with any OLB in the league and his pass rushing skills are elite.

Visit Shaun Phillips web site.

Shawne Merriman Acquired: Draft 1A - 2005 (12)
    COLLEGE: First-team All-America by NFL Draft Report, second-team by Sporting News and first-team All-ACC following junior season…led team in sacks (8.5) and tackles for loss (17) in 2004…tied for second in ACC in sacks and ranked third in tackles for loss.

2005: 2006 Pro Bowl starter…NFL Defensive Rookie of Year by Associated Press, SportsIllustrated.com, Pro Football Weekly, Professional Football Writers of America and San Diego Union-Tribune…NFL Rookie of Year and All-Pro by Sporting News…Sports Illustrated and SI.com All-Pro…All-Rookie Team selection by Pro Football Weekly, Professional Football Writers of America and NFL.com…led team and all NFL rookies with 10 sacks…second on squad with seven tackles for loss and tied for fifth with 54 tackles.
    MIA 1 game

2006: Selected as starter in 2007 Pro Bowl...named first-team All-Pro by Associated Press, Sports Illustrated, Sporting News, USA Today Sports Weekly, Pro Football Weekly and the Professional Football Writers of America (also earning All-AFC honors from PFW & PFWA) and ESPN.com...voted by teammates to receive David Griggs Memorial Award as team’s 2006 Defensive Player of Year...named to NFL.com’s All-Interview Team...led NFL and team with 17 sacks, tied for second-most in season in team history...led squad with 21 quarterback hits...tied for team lead with four forced fumbles. MIA 4 games

2007: 12.5 sacks 68 combined stops 5 pass defensed. MIA 1 game Named to the pro Bowl team as a reserve.

Merriman stats slipped in 2007 compared too 2006 however that probably had as much to do with the change in defensive coordinators rather than slippage in play. At age 23 it is fair to say that Merriman has yet to reach his prime in fact if he follows to basic athletic curve he is 5 years from it. He is arguably the best defensive player in the league right now.

Matt Wilhelm ILB Acquired: Draft 4 - 2003 (112)
    COLLEGE: First-team All-Big Ten Conference selection as senior…recipient of Randy Gradishar Award as team’s top linebacker as junior.

2003: Lone two tackles on special teams against Minnesota Nov. 9…played in first-career game on special teams against Baltimore Sept. 21…inactive Weeks 1-2, 4-8 and 10-16

2004: Inactive Weeks 1-9…played in first game of season Week 10 at Oakland and had one tackle on special teams…tied for team-high with two special teams stops against Tampa Bay Dec. 12…led squad with two tackles on special teams at Indianapolis Dec. 26…first-career interception along with five tackles and two passes defensed against Kansas City Jan. 2…saw action on special teams during Wild Card Playoff game vs. New York Jan. 8.

2005: Tied for third on team with 15 special teams tackles
    2006: ST action , 2007: Starting first career game in season opener vs. Chicago, racked up 10 tackles, second-most on team. Played in 14 games 97 combined stops , 1 sack, 4 pass defensed , 3 int.

Wilhelm no longer plays in nickle or dime defenses , replaced by Cooper. Matt has improved with playing time he has struggled disengaging from OL and taking good angles.

Stephen Cooper Acquired: Free Agent - 2003
    COLLEGE: Atlantic-10 Conference Defensive Player of Year in 2002…recipient of George H. “Bulger” Lowe award from Gridiron Club of Greater Boston as top defensive football player in New England…named All-America by Associated Press, American Football Coaches Association and Sports Network as senior.

2003: Tied for fifth on team with eight special teams tackles 2004 reserve , ST player 42 combined stops. 2005 39 combined stops ST and rotation. 2006 4 GS 53 combined stops. 2007 starter 16 games 108 combined stops.

Cooper is clearly one of the most improved players on the roster and has moved his game to a border line elite level. AGE 28 he is in the prime of his career athletically. Cooper shows good range sideline to sideline and strong pass rushing skills. Coverage has improved to the point that he is now the nickle , dime LB.

Expectations are strong as his play should rise with more game time.

Anthony Waters Acquired: 3rd 2007

COLLEGE: Sat out almost entire senior season after injuring knee in third quarter of season opener against Florida Atlantic...honorable mention All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection as junior after leading team with 109 tackles and leading ACC with 74 solo stops...recipient of team’s Solid Rock Award in 2005, given by coaches to squad’s outstanding linebacker.

IR 2007

Brandon Siler Acquired:Seventh-round
    COLLEGE: Second-team All-SEC by league’s coaches and Associated Press as junior...earned third-team honors from coaches as sophomore...Academic All-District III choice in 2005...named SEC Freshman of Year by coaches in 2004.

2007 Pro season ST player with increased rotation during the year. Now a starter on GL packages. 25 total stops with 1 fumble recover for T.D.

Age 22 Silar is looking like another draft steal.

Jyles Tucker TRANSACTION HISTORY: Signed two-year contract with Chargers as undrafted rookie, May 4, 2007 .
    COLLEGE: Honorable mention All-ACC as senior…named ACC Rookie of Week after first career start vs. Clemson.

2007: Played first career game on special teams Nov. 25 vs. Baltimore after being signed from practice squad...
    shared fourth-quarter sack eight-yard sack with Shaun Phillips Dec. 2 at K.C...tied Tim Dobbins team high with three special teams tackles against Detroit Dec. 16…had coming out party at Oakland Dec. 30 with three sacks and first-career NFL touchdown…started series in third quarter with nine-yard sack on first-down…then on third-and-13 play, sacked Russell and forced fumble, and loose ball rolled into end zone where Tucker recovered…sealed 30-17 win over Raiders with late fourth-quarter sack and forced fumble on fourth-and-two play with under one minute remaining in game.

TCKL 12 SCK 3.5 FF 2 In very limited play Tucker has been incredible. After the 3 sack game at Oak he was named N.F.L. defensive player of the week.

To be cont....
  29. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Are their players who become good starters or key back ups found in lower rounds ? You bet ! Do the majority of them turn out to be big time players????? Of course not.