1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers 2013 Training Camp Battles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,303 / 12 / -5
    He looked damn good on Saturday. Definitely has the juke/cut moves to get himself open. His route running looked good as well.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    That's good to hear...... but I think Acee was referring to the typical rookie mistakes. There's a lot to absorb for a new player coming into the league. A lot of techniques to learn, and a new scheme to master.

3. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 4 / -0
    Can it just be football season already? CFL starting has made it a tease, I have football, but not NFL. I have to listen to all the bandwagon Rider fans here and they're worse than Pats fans.

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,303 / 12 / -5
    I've been watching some CFL. Ain't bad, just different. And you're right, Rider fans are filling that bandwagon.

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +417 / 7 / -1
    Ref Keenan Allen and the video snippets I've seen online... it looks like he glides rather than run. His action/gait is a joy to watch. I'm expecting this guy to pleasantly surprise many people as a Charger.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    Six Observations From Training Camp
    Jul 29th, 2013 at 12:47 pm
    by Dave O'Rourke
    I was lucky enough to attend training camp yesterday (Sunday) and I thought I’d share just a few quick observations. Let me just post a disclaimer that these are only observations from Sunday’s practice; other days may have been different. Here we go:

1: The defense is dominating the offense

During the 7-on-7 and team drills it was frustrating me a little bit that the offense weren’t really moving the ball or creating big plays. Then it sort of struck me that the defense was just playing that good. The d-line was applying great pressure, the linebackers were coming up and making tackles and the DBs were all over the receivers, swatting balls and getting picks. Now, I’m exclusively talking about first team offense vs. first team defense—and Brown and Alexander were out—but it seemed to me like the defense was light years ahead. It’s still early, so the offense has plenty of time to catch up, and I think it’s great that the defense is playing so well, it’ll force the offense to grow and adapt. Defense wins championships.

2: Either Luke Tasker or Dan DePalma will be this year’s Bryan Walters

Luke Tasker got the crowd on his side from the beginning of the day, hauling in pretty much every pass that came his way. Then, during one-on-ones, he continued to impress by smoking pretty much anyone who lined up against him. The crowd around me was buzzing and loving every second, scanning their roster printouts to see who the kid was. Later, in team drills, Dan DePalma started turning heads when he hauled in a couple of touchdowns. Given that these guys were going against the third team defense for most of the time, I’m going to temper expectations—and ultimately, given the depth at WR, they are going to have to do something extraordinary to make the team—but one of them is sure to make waves during preseason.

3: Mike Willie is better than Luke Tasker or Dan DePalma

Mike Willie didn’t make the crowd oooh or ahhh like Tasker and DePalma did but he quietly caught every ball thrown his way. He would box out DBs in the end zone or run a great route and give them no chance of catching up. Being an ASU alumni, I might be a little bias towards him, but the hardcore fans in the crowd noticed his talent and sung his praises all day long. Again, he might be a long shot to make the team, but if he can do something on special teams I think that he has a better chance than the other fringe guys, I could even see him beating out Goodman if Royal or Allen takes over return duties.

4: Meachem and Royal look more comfortable and played hard

Robert Meachem might have had the catch of the day during one-on-ones. He made a diving catch over the defender and came up limping on the play. During the crowd’s cheers I thought to myself that he might be done for the day—adding to the list of already injured receivers (Alexander and Brown). Meachem surprised me and was back in the huddle after a short break, running hard and fighting to get open. Royal still looked better than Meachem on the whole, catching pretty much every ball and using his speed to beat DBs. It remains to be seen if these guys can contribute after a disappointing showing last year, but after yesterday I already see an improvement. Royal especially may thrive in McCoy’s quick fire offense.

5: Coach D’Alessandris is the man

The guy’s been doing this for 36 years and he’s still out there hitting bags and sprinting to the next drill. He’s extremely vocal and makes sure guys do things right. He leads by example and I have no doubt that he’s going to whip this o-line into shape.

6: Le’Ron McClain and Chris Gronkowski hit hard

The running backs hit the sled right in front of the bleachers and man did it get the crowd pumped up, especially when one of the fullbacks stepped up. Those guys hit that thing hard, knocking it back at least five yards every time—for some perspective, later in the day it took two Chargers assistants to push the sled two yards, and they were struggling. This is going to be a great battle in preseason; can’t wait to see them blow some people up.

Overall, I was really happy to see the fire and the tempo out there. Guys weren’t just going through the motions; they were playing hard and competing. The whole team would hustle to the next drill and high five their teammates when they made a big play. This is what I think we’ve been missing for the last few years, that intensity and competitiveness; it was great to see it back. If anyone was at camp yesterday I’d love to hear your thoughts on the practice. Let me know if you agree or disagree or have any other observations.

Go Bolts!
    Dave O

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    Just a reminder that with young players, every day is different.......

Clang: Over a span of five plays in 7-on-7 passing drills, wide receivers dropped four passes (two by Keenan Allen) and a snafu between Robert Meachem and Rivers led to an incompletion. After practice, Allen caught passes from Charlie Whitehurst.

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,303 / 12 / -5
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-bulk-of-chargers-first-team-olt-reps-early/

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,211 / 37 / -21

What irritates me about this quote is that they really seem to be forcing the issue of Fluker at RT. IMHO the best 5 we could go with would be...

LT - Dunlap
    LG - Rinehart
    C - Hardwick
    RG - Fluker
    RT - Starks

Clary could stay as backup or we could cut him and pocket $2.3M...it's a win win...except for the scout who stood on his soapbox and told Telesco Fluker is a RT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    LOL....... you don't think Telesco can evaluate players for himself? :laugh:

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,211 / 37 / -21

It could have been Telesco...doesn't matter to me.:coffee:

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    But, you still think you're a better talent evaluator...... that much never changes. :cautious:

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,211 / 37 / -21

And you're still trying to stir up **** to get attention, indeed nothing changes.

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +417 / 7 / -1
    I'm still not sold on Rinehart. Sub Troutman in there and we have one seriously large dominating O line with the above.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,591 / 48 / -6
    Still early and the boys haven't even hit rubber leg stage yet. Give it a couple more weeks and things will start to come to light.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    As thin-skinned and defensive as ever..... Indeed, nothing ever changes.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    So, you're not sold on a vet with starting experience, but you're sold on a guy who's never played a snap in the NFL?

18. sam2001320

sam2001320 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What if they did LT by committee. On passing situations use Dunlap on running use Starks. Then throw teams off by using the opposite of you are doing if when they catch on. Just and idea.

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +417 / 7 / -1
    Can't say I'm sold on Troutman but I reckon he might end up the better player that's all I'm saying.

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,211 / 37 / -21
    So you're saying you can insult me out of no where for no reason...but I'm not allowed to give it back to you? Haha wow Blue, every time we do this you come off a little more pathetic.

Seriously though for a second, try to grow up and get over your compulsion to pick a fight. If you disagree with something I said we can discus it like adults.

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,211 / 37 / -21
    Rinehart has been a good player in the league though, and coach D'Allessandris has a rapport with him.

I would probably rather see Trouman knock Clary off, unless Clary just has a fantastic camp/preseason at RG.

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,211 / 37 / -21
    If the guy who's never taken a snap performs better in practice I don't see why not. Experience is important, but you'd never develop any talent if you refuse to give young players a chance to win starting positions.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    Insult you?....... seriously. I pointed out something silly that you wrote, so I therefore insulted you. :rolleyes:

As I said, thin-skinned and defensive to even the most minor criticism.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    Sure, but I've yet to read anything saying that Troutman was outperforming Reinhardt in camp. Have you?

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    Someday, perhaps....... but now?

I haven't read anything yet that says Troutman is outplaying Reinhardt in camp. Troutman is basically a rookie. He missed all of last year, and what he may've learned of Norv's system won't be of that much with a new system this year.

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,211 / 37 / -21

Nope, and I haven't heard anything that says Rinehart is outperforming Troutman either. I was just saying experience alone shouldn't be what sells a player.

That said I am a Rinehart fan, I think he's one of the better pass blocking OGs in the league and far more mobile than Troutman as far as getting to the 2nd level in the run game. If there is a chance Troutman starts it would be over Clary at RG.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,211 / 37 / -21
    I don't think it counts as actual "criticism" if you have to invent the thing you're criticizing someone for. It's just being obnoxious, and that's what I called you on when I said you were just trying to stir up **** again.

Again, if you have a complaint with my opinions lets talk about it. There is nothing respectable about throwing pot shots from the bleachers and then playing the victim when it comes back at you.

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,211 / 37 / -21
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    44m
    Chargers sign former USC safety Tony Burnett. He participated in team's May rookie minicamp on tryout basis. QB Mike Hermann waived.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    If you say you're a fan, you can at least spell his name right. ;)

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,211 / 37 / -21
    Kenny Okoro has torn ACL, he's also waived.