1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers and Courtney Gardner part ways

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ssnake86, May 7, 2013.

1. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    "San Diego and Courtney Gardner have agreed to part ways while Gardner handles some personal matters, sources said this week. Gardner is a former Sierra College wide receiver whose physical talent the team is known to be high on, hosting him for a pre-draft April visit at Chargers Park before reaching a deal on April 27.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/may/07/chargers-courtney-gardner-sierra-college/

Real shame, this kid has a ton of talent. Supposedly he had some characters issues and been arrested a couple times. Seems like hes throwing a big opportunity out the window.
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    Well, we're not exactly weak at the WR position, so he was a long shot to make the roster anyway.
  3. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    Shame, but as Blue Bolt mentioned, we don't really have any spaces left at WR at all, we have at least 6 under contract with Floyd, Alexander, V Brown, Meachem, Royal & Keenan Allen all pretty much locks to make the final roster for one reason or another.

Optimistically, I also hold out a small flicker of hope that Meachem & Royal actually do something better than last season, while at the same time being excited to finally get Vincent Brown back after missing what seemed like it could've been a breakout year last season. Also, pumped about the Keenan pick in the 3rd, could turn out to be a steal.

All in all, we have a good blend of skills with our receiving corps, if they stay healthy and all do what they can do, then Rivers will have some nice weapons at his disposal (providing he doesn't get killed before he can even release the ball).
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Sucks. Wish this kid could of developed on the PS for next year, because I see WR as a potential need next year.

Floyd - Wouldn't surprise me if he's gone this year, he definitely won't be here next year.
    Meachem - Depends on 2013.
    Royal - Depends on 2013
    Alexander - Not a guarantee in 2014, he has to stay healthy in 2013.
    Brown - Needs a good year in 2013, needs to stay healthy, lock for 2014.
    Allen - Lock for 2014, and pretty much beyond that.
  5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    Sounds like Telesco and McCoy shipped the kid and all his baggage to the airport. No harm, no foul in giving him a shot but like TT says, if a player doesn't want to match our work ethic, he's out of here.
    On Meachem and Royal. I want to see what McCoy and Whiz do to unlock these two guys' potential. They both have some talent, just weren't used well last year, IMHO. (End of this season, it would be a hoot if everyone was saying what great pickups these two were for AJ).
  6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +819 / 5 / -0
    Oh no, not the Gardner kid! He was a true carrot in a field full of onions...
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Totally off topic, didn't want to start a new thread and this one is pretty much tapped out. As far as the WR's go. obviously I want what ever WR's on the field that will help this team win games but a part of me really really hopes its Brown, Allen and Royal (I know he disappointed last year, but I still really like the kid)

Also, Do you guys feel Allen (being their guy) has a better chance over some of the other guys to get on the field quicker?
  8. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    No I don't think that will play into it. McCoy has said multiple times hes going to put the best men on the field, whoever that is. If Allen out competes Meachem, which I think is very likely, I think theres a good chance he could take his spot. Though I wonder about Floyd, hes been very consistent and productive for the chargers, part of me thinks hes still might have the #1 spot going into week 1. Though I could see him getting hurt pretty early on. Also as long as Alexander stays healthy, I don't see how he wont continue to be our most productive receiver. I don't why everyone on here just seems to write last season off as a fluke for DA. If he's healthy like last season, theres no question in my mind that he wont be our #1.

Also regarding Royal, I think he has a much better chance to stick around then Meachem does. I remembered during the last couple games of last season he actually started producing for us.

I'd like to see it as Alexander, Brown, Allen, and Floyd as a back up. With Royal occasionally filling in at slot, but mostly regulated to a punt returner.
  9. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 4 / -1
    So again, off topic a little, but today i looked up just how athletic DAX really is...at 6'4 5/8", he set a school record vertical of 46.5....ARE YOU KIDDING ME....lol. At a private workout (since he was injured for pro day/combine), he reportedly ran a 4.4, a short shuttle of 4.12 and had a vertial of 41.5", which while not being 46.5....is damn good. Since its a workout, probably closer to a 4.5, but still, at 6'5" 220, who the hell cares....lol. And then you look at his catch radius already, then add to the fact that he's got 35" arms, which is just an inch shorter than DJ Fluker's, who has a 7'2" wingspan...

This guy is a FREAK, when healthy one of the more physically gifted WR's in the league. Hopefully we can keep him healthy this year and let him dominate.