1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers announce both AJ Smith and Norv Turner are returning

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jan 3, 2012.

1. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    It's the team, DB - not the millionaires on the top we are eager to see. Just can't flip to another team. I like what Brees does in NO and Michael Turner in Atlanta, even Detroit sound good after some years (because my father was worker at a GM factory) but I can't stop bleeding for SD>Chargers when season will start again.
    I understand everyone who saves money by not buying tickets, but a coach who doesn't deliver can't ruin my fandom.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Is it safe?
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    [​IMG]
  4. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    :mad: **** U Dean ... **** **** **** **** ......................... ****
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 18 / -5
    Who wants to bet we'll get rid of VJ and sign some scrub of the bucs line up?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gb911

gb911 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I bet you're right, that's the way Spanos operates. Disgusting.
  8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +752 / 5 / -0
    What do you think?

hannibal lecter.jpg
  9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    I expect riots in the city of San Diego with the coming hours..

Pathetic.. oh well thats the Chargers for you.. another year of heartbreak here we come..
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    Evidently--as I expected--the Chargers did not have a secret Belichick up their sleeves...
    and had as much trouble naming a superior successor as did the majority of posters here.

I still don't love Norv, but I'll take his 61% winning percentage over another Kevin Gilbride
    or Mike Riley...or someone who was installed as "change for the sake of change"
    just to pacify a lot of cranky (but not necessarily football-saavy) fans.

[And yes, Blewy, I'm STILL angling for 'least popular poster' of the day!!]
    • Like Like x 4
  11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    There better have a real solid draft and acquire a big name in FA..
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 43 / -6
    This move is exactly what I thought would happen. I didn't think AJ would be let go, I did want Norv to be gone at one point but some subtle change in defensive play and the resurgence of the offense made it hard for me to believe anything would happen. Even with the loss in Detroit I didn't see Norv getting the axe.

A return to rough acres would be satisfying to me, hard work and lots of it coupled with dedication can go a long way to building a championship team. The player's don't have to like it, they have to become part of it. It is their team and when a man pays you millions to do your job, you had better do it right no matter what.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    I think the tenuous stadium situation was keeping all the big names away, and given the choice of gambling on some n00bs or sticking with what we have, they chose the devil(s) they know. Can't really say as I blame them. Either way, it's over now. They are our guys for at least another year so suck it up and support them. Bolt Up!
  14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +752 / 5 / -0
    Maybe, just maybe Mr. Spanos made this move so that AJ Smith under pressure from the rioting masses in Del Mar decides to fire himself...
  15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    Holy crap!!! A Boulevard reference!!! Thank you. You made my day.

(some times I get a little discouraged by the lack of perspective from some of the newer fans)
  16. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +752 / 5 / -0
    This still doesn't mean that Manusky's job is safe.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I really don't think anything will change now. Why should it ? Norv and AJ are like teflon nothing sticks to them. They have no fear of being fired now. Another 8-8 or 7-9 year here we come. This orginisation from top to bottom is a bunch of wimps. This team will never get better unless there is a philosopy change, and someone else owns the team. I'm starting to agree with some of the posters here that all that matters here is money. How much can they make without making any changes. I guess enough for them to stay being vanilla. At least my second favorite team will keep next season bearable. The Lions are headed in the right direction at least. I hope the Chargers can win next year, but with the same group I really doubt it. Nothing has gotten any better with this team, they have only gotten worse. What a bitter disapointment. The motto for this team is "Its ok to be just mediocre".
    • Like Like x 1
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    Is Manusky back for sure?
  19. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +220 / 1 / -1
    Wow, fans are going to be real unhappy and down on the team after this. They had better have an out of this world draft and pick up some serious free agents if they hope to start redeeming themselves, because another season like this is what we're all expecting now...
  20. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I don't think anything will change. They way this team operates, has the blessings of the owner. Norv and AJ can do as they please. Which also mean Manusky will most likely be back. The team has just given the fans the middle finger, and laughed in our faces. They could care less right now what we think.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    I disagree. I think that 8-8 or worse in 2012 will result in one or both being axed.

If AJ isn't successful, re. improving the roster, it will be him. And that would be fair.

If the roster IS better, 8-8 or worse will probably result in Norv being let go. And that would be fair, too.

I'm one of the few in here that doesn't buy into any cute conspiracies about secret motives...
    as much as I don't care much for the Spanos family, I think that they're right, that these two men,
    at present, give the team the best chance to be successful, over other available options.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. JohnnyX

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 18 / -5
    Not sure but Norv gave him alot a credit. Dean listens to Norv and AJ so expect him to be back.
  23. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I'm with you part way. Never liked Norv but the change has to made for a long term upgrade.

However, the cranky fans have good reason to be cranky. You don't have to be admiral to know when to abandon a sinking ship.
  24. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    why not, he helped beat the Raiders in the very last game. Spanos accepts mediocrity. I wonder if he accepts mediocrity when he builds the bottom floor of s skyscraper.
  25. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Too bad human beings are so pathetic. A total boycot of ticket sales, jersey's, and TV viewing would get Deano's attention. Although this situation reminds me of the movie "Major League" where the owner of the baseball team devises a plan to lose money and thus be allowed to move.
  26. JohnnyX

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 18 / -5
    No one cares. Stop acting like a no it all. Fans want accountability for two straight seasons of no playoffs. That hasn't happen and yet it's these fans who are wrong? Let people voice their opinions and stop patting yourself on the back for **** sake.
  27. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 11 / -4
    Don't hold your breath on either of those.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    We don't need a big named coach, we just need a leader, something Norv is not. But I still believe that AJ is the bigger problem, although they both should be unemployed
  29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    If they don't have a 2004 type offseason where we get 6-7 solid new starters, and not bums like Clary or injury prone veterans like Sanders, then we will see another 8-8 year next year at best, especially considering our schedule
  30. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I believe we said these exact same words last season. This was the make or break season, based on LAST season." They must get to the playoffs or their gone", was what was being said at the beginning of this season. Its groundhog day and this is just a rewind of the end of last season. I think it's great to be optimistic, I was right there with you, until the end of this season. This team is just going to be vanilla, stay competitive just enough, but in the end win nothing. If there is a turnaround great. I'm just taking off the rose colored glasses and stepping away from the hash pipe myself. I will no longer believe this front offices propaganda. Action speaks louder than words. So far all i've heard is words, and vows to win. I've seen very little results. This team does NOT make the moves it needs to make to win. They don't want to. It's just utter frustration. Year after year, I would say, " This is our year ". Yet we just get worse. What a bunch of horse poop. I don't believe in any conspiracy, it's just how the Lions stuck with MATT MILLON for so long. The owner liked him and was loyal to him. No matter how crappy a GM he was. The Lions finally canned his ***, and the team is in the play offs, after strong rebuilding by a good gm and head coach. This team has no plan to win. You cant keep being worse and worse, and not make changes. Yes changes hurt, but if there are the right moves, good things can happen. You never know till you try as they say. I hope i'm wrong, and we can get to the super bowl. I still love the Chargers. I'm just not expecting much out of this team.