1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers announce both AJ Smith and Norv Turner are returning

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jan 3, 2012.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +882 / 15 / -1
    Ant, my point is that too many people seem content to just focus on the negatives with AJ and to let that snowball into hyperbolic statements that just flatly aren't true (i.e. "he's had crap drafts the past 5 years"; some crappy draft picks, yes, but crap drafts as a whole? you're stretching to make that argument).

Like I said, I'm of the opinion that a new paradigm in terms of vision is needed here. We share that opinion, I believe. But I'm also of the opinion that we're not up the proverbial creek without a paddle or a prayer in the situation we're now stuck in for the next year. Things are increasingly (incredibly so) more difficult, but they're not impossible, the way that some want to make it sound. If "injuries" and "youth" are the excuses that coaching and management are going to spin as the reasons for our downfall then I'll sure be interested to see how they plan to combat that. Not exactly sure how you combat injuries save for better depth. And since they seem to be also scapegoating "youth" then logic would seem to suggest that they're not going to fall back on UDFA's and 1st year players as that "better depth". So who the hell knows? Maybe we finally get those free agent signings we've been clamoring for (not that we've not gotten them in the past... and they seem to be glossed over by the "grass is always greener" crowd for the "but we could have had _____" statements).

Despite the bleak picture of impossibility that so many want to paint, we can win with Norv as the HC and Aj as the GM. It hasn't happened at the level we'd expect it to of late, but it has happened. And if it doesn't, then even Rivers won't have a leg to stand on (if he returns to form and we still lose close games and finish with a subpar record) and neither will Norv or AJ or Spanos. And, perhaps best/worst cast scenario for some folks depending on their long-term outlook or loyalties to town over team, if the team comes out and underachieves the way so many people now expect them to before even seeing how the offseason shakes out, then Spanos will again see low attendance at the gates (and among the ST holders) in an election year, which will blow an enormous hole in his hopes of getting any kind of sizable public funding for a new stadium venture. Which then leaves LA as perhaps the only option, but Anschutz has been adamant that he (not AEG... Phil Anschutz specifically) have the controlling ownership stake in any team playing at Farmers Field. Blessing in disguise perhaps, because quite frankly Anschutz is cut-throat and cares only about winning... at any cost.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    [quote="
    the LT yippie-years[/quote]

LMAO!
  3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +882 / 15 / -1
    The scheme issues are there. That said, to your point, if execution happens the way it's supposed to then the scheme "can" work in spite of itself. That said, there does need to be a middle ground - one I can't say I'm truly confident in this coaching staff to be able to find and pull off, but one that I'm also not willing to affirm that absolutely cannot be found either.

The bend but don't break defensive philosophy that has been employed here for years only works if your unit actually manages to maintain the "don't break" part. It could be argued that we had that part down during the Rivera tenure, but it's really hard to get an accurate read because the only full year we had under him teams were getting enough points off their special teams against us that their urgency to have to get TD's versus FG's against us on offense was considerably less (in many cases because they were already up on us). Under Manusky, as well as under Cottrell (the schemes, the playbook, the tape shows them to be near mirror images of one another) the defense bent, and bent, and bent and then eventually did break and ultimately could never get off the field. Turnover-generating was pretty minimal. Blitzing was pretty minimal (particularly of anyone out of the secondary).

Like I've been saying for a while... there's no one thing that was the direct culprit of our downfall this season. Yes, plenty of the many things that happened people want to place the blame on AJ or Norv, or both (because one hired the other or one allegedly "yes-man's for the other"), whether there's a rational connection or not.

One thing, and watch me get blasted for saying this, I will say is that I wish Rivers was a little less of a nice guy - or rather that he let that fire he shows on the field show a little more off it and... wait for it... I wish he was a little more like Brady in this respect. Get in someone's face when they're not pulling their weight - even if that's a coach - part of leadership is not always toeing the company line.
  4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Like a Jared Allen? That would have been worth every penny.
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...norv.turner/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a5&eref=sihp

In keeping Turner, Smith, Chargers commit to mediocrity

Story Highlights
    There's no rationalizing the Chargers' decline and two straight non-playoff seasons. Turner is 49-31 in five years as Chargers coach, but 17-15 in the last two years. Chargers should have been able to stop costly six-game midseason losing streak

The Chargers have steadily declined in all five of Norv Turner's seasons as coach.
    Jason O. Watson/US Presswire
    There's no way of knowing if the alarm clock went off playing "I Got You, Babe'' at Dean Spanos' bedside this morning, but Tuesday does seem a bit like Groundhog Day in San Diego. What's that they say about the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?
    That's in essence the charge the Chargers team president left himself open to in announcing the somewhat surprising return of both head coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith, the same embattled tandem that has overseen one of the NFL's more underachieving franchises the past couple of years. In deciding to take a pass on making any changes in San Diego, Spanos lauded the "stability and experience'' that Turner and Smith bring to the table.
    Stability could be another word for mediocrity in this case. Experience could be a handy description to divert attention from the lack of accomplishment.
    In keeping Turner and Smith together for a sixth season, Spanos can rationalize his call by saying the Chargers could easily do worse than the leadership pairing that has produced a 49-31 record and three playoff berths in five years in San Diego. But the Chargers also might have easily been able to do better than their middling 17-15, non-playoff showing of the past two years with some sort of change at the top, a possibility that Spanos opted to not roll the dice on.
    In some ways, you could see the status quo making a comeback in San Diego for weeks now. Forever on a streak of some kind, the Chargers finally started fast this season, getting out to a 4-1, first-place standing in the mild, mild AFC West as they took their Week 6 bye. And then, it's as if San Diego never returned from its break, losing six in a row, the franchise's longest skid since the days of coach Mike Riley and a nine-game freefall to close out 2001.
    At 4-7, the Chargers had underwhelmed us once more, and Turner appeared to have next to no shot to be back in 2012. Smith, too, was thought to be in serious jeopardy of not returning. But then, the pressure seemingly off, the Chargers responded in late season, as we have seen them do time and time again. They won four out of their last five to scratch their way to a respectable 8-8, even though they were eliminated by a Week 16 blowout loss in Detroit, before finishing with a resounding 38-26 win in Oakland, eliminating the rival Raiders from the playoff chase and handing the division title to 8-8 Denver.
    Spanos said he was greatly impressed with the Chargers' fight, and their lack of surrender in the season's final month. The problem is, if Turner's players respect him and really play as hard for him as Spanos seems to think they do, they would've somehow found a way to stop the bleeding and ended that season-killing losing streak in October and November. You are what your record says you are in the NFL, and the Chargers were a middle of the road 8-8 this year in an eminently winnable division.
    If Spanos is prepared to dole out credit for the 4-1 start and the 4-1 finish that Turner and Smith oversaw, he shouldn't be discounting the six-game losing streak in between, when the roof caved in and took San Diego's playoff chances with it. What happened to Turner's coaching touch in Weeks 7-12, and how is it that the 2011 team Smith constructed failed to capitalize on its opportunity in a division that was begging to be won?
    Like Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie standing behind Andy Reid one more time in Philadelphia -- Tuesday must have been "Love Your 8-8 Coach'' Day -- Spanos just gave Turner and Smith a pass they probably didn't deserve. And somehow I don't think Spanos should have dragged out the tired and unconvincing injury excuse as part of his explanation/support of his coach and GM, complaining that "injuries have killed us'' in recent years. Tell that to Houston, who made the playoffs this year despite a few setbacks on that front. Tell that to Green Bay, which won a Super Bowl ring last season with about one-third of the roster on IR.
    No matter what he said to present Tuesday's news, Spanos wasn't going to effectively spin this one or please San Diego fans. The Chargers faithful know that a decision to accept mediocrity has been made, at least for this season. San Diego apparently didn't like the other options that existed on the coach-hiring front, wanted to save money, or the Chargers investigated and found out that no one with savior potential (Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden, perhaps?) was interested in them.
    Whatever the motivation for the move, the return of Turner and Smith is not going to spark celebration or renew a level of confidence in their stewardship in San Diego. The five seasons they have spent on the job together have neatly illustrated the law of diminishing returns: A division title and two playoff wins in 2007; a division title and one playoff victory in 2008; a division title and no playoff wins in 2009; a 9-7 and out of the money in 2010; and this year's non-playoff 8-8 mark. At that rate, dread for 2012 seems perfectly understandable.
    Spanos said Turner and Smith remain "the right men to help us win a championship,'' even though recent results seem to indicate otherwise, with San Diego's won-loss record headed in the opposite direction. The Chargers on Tuesday decided a steady-as-she-goes approach was preferable to making the wrong move, and opted to play it safe. It seems like the wrong time for caution in the Chargers organization, but maybe safe and sorry is the result Spanos fears the least. Getting things right only half the time is starting to become a habit in San Diego.
    • Mike Martz's resignation as Chicago's offensive coordinator was a move that seemed to be put in motion after last season, when he rejected what he viewed to be a low-ball contract extension offer. Though he publicly said he wanted to return to the Bears in recent weeks when speculation about his coaching future surfaced, he in truth had little interest in serving a third season on Lovie Smith's staff.
    I would not be surprised if Martz's departure results in offensive line coach Mike Tice's elevation to offensive coordinator in Chicago.
    Of course, with the firing of general manager Jerry Angelo after 11 seasons on Tuesday, the Bears have a bigger opening to worry about than their offensive coordinator post. I would expect former Seattle president of football operations Tim Ruskell to be an internal candidate for the position -- he joined Chicago as director of pro personnel in 2010. Ruskell and Angelo have ties that go back to the days together in the Bucs personnel office, and that association perhaps could hurt Ruskell's candidacy. But it also would provide some continuity, a commodity the Bears ownership has been known to value over the years.
    It also makes sense for the Bears to interview well-respected Packers director of football operations Reggie McKenzie, who has extensive knowledge of the NFC North and has been in serious consideration for other GM vacancies in recent years. McKenzie's name is thought likely to surface in connection with Oakland's efforts to remake its front office structure, but all things being equal, McKenzie likely would gravitate toward staying in the Midwest and within the division he knows best.
    The Bears' intention to hunt for a new general manager while retaining head coach Lovie Smith in 2012 is fairly unconventional, but not a rare move for them. Chicago hired Angelo in June 2001, pairing him with incumbent head coach Dick Jauron. The Bears wound up going 13-3 and winning the NFC Central under Jauron in 2001, which wound up extending his stay in Chicago two more years, until the close of the 2003 season. Angelo then fired Jauron and hired Smith.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/01/03/norv.turner/index.html#ixzz1iRuvd8Pz
  6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 22 / -1
    I don't know if this was a factor, but it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe the secret conversations with the big names didn't bear any fruit.
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +882 / 15 / -1
    Jared Allen wasn't a free agent, he was traded for... in 2008... when we still had Merriman in his presumed prime (and who was going to command as much if not more money than Allen would with the new contract that he would be receiving - as Allen was tagged then traded by KC). And we couldn't have outbid what Minnesota offered for Allen (nor would the Chiefs have ever traded him to a division rival) because it would have taken a 1st, a 2nd, and a future 3rd to outbid the Vikings' 1st and two 3rd rounders as the Minnesota picks were 10 spots in each round earlier than ours. And we didn't have a 2nd round pick due to trading it to Miami for Chris Chambers.

Just a bad example.
  8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    Hey Lizard, I don't believe there are many Belichicks out there (and honestly, even he
    is less than Belichicky sometimes!) ;) As a long time student of the NFL, I've concluded
    that 90% of head coaches have little effect on a team's actual win/loss record.
    The vast majority of HCs will win with a good roster, and lose with a bad roster.

Aa far as "big names" go, I'd take Norv over Gruden any day. JG's last 6 years were
    an embarrassment. Cowher, while overrated, yes, if he were on board, he would've
    been one of very, very few I'd think was promising enough to justify firing (and humiliating)
    a coach the team's stars clearly believe in. But I still have issues with Cowher...
    and there's something to be said for continuity.

I know we disagreed re. Norv, but I think I know you well enough to predict that you'll
    get over it and cheer the team as you always have. As for me, I'm still agNorvstic...
    if AJ hands him a decent roster, and Norv underperforms with it in '12, I'll call for his head...
  9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Mike Tice?? Really the former Vikings HC is working as OL coach for CHI????

YEA. Norv can very respectably step down to OC.
  10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    No, just poorly presented/interpreted apraently. Jared Allen as in KC didnt wanna pay him the BIG $ he was worth and instead they got rid of him. He got paid and is still Jared Allen, and KC got compensated, but still screwed in the deal.

ALso I wasnt hypothesizing him here, tho even as a badass 4-3 DE I would take him on our 3-4 then or now. Anymore with how the D has played under recent DCs, I dont know if I care anymore 3-4 or 4-3 just stop the other team from scoring back.
  11. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,573 / 42 / -25
    Fix the pass rush......... #thatisall ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +882 / 15 / -1
    There's one thing I think you're either discounting a little too much or just not accounting for Lance. I agree with you on several points (most notably Gruden being no better than Norv in any way shape or form), but good rosters for these coaches also don't miraculously appear out of thin air.

As much as any coach would love for his front office to provide him with pro-ready prospects that will progress to maximize their respective ceilings with every draft pick made, or free agent acquisitions that fill every need he has on his roster with players who are tailor-fit for his schemes, the NFL doesn't work like that. Head Coaches are responsible for the staffs they assemble (just as GM's are responsible for the staffs - both scouting and personnel - that they assemble). Looking over the track records of our positional coaches (and our defensive coordinators - with the possible exception of Ron Rivera - under Norv) very few of them are men you can say look to be particularly good at developing young talent and polishing diamonds in the rough. And in the cases of those DC's, other than Rivera I've yet to see one implement a scheme that they don't just try to force the players they have into like square pegs in round holes versus adapting the scheme to make best use of the players they have. Norv is a good OC - there are some bones I'd like to pick with him, but in respect to running the offense successfully I fully admit we could do far, far worse than him and there are few OC's better than him in the league. But he's not here to just be a coordinator, he's hear to be the head coach. And the head coach is responsible for the defense as well as the offense, as well as the special teams, as well as the development of the depth players.

Everyone's quick to blame AJ for not providing Norv (or any HC) with a good roster, but how much of that may well have to do with Norv's staff inability to properly develop the young and raw talent they've been given or to continue to stand by players who are obviously not getting the job done (Clary, LaBoy, Diggs in on passing downs over Butler)?
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +882 / 15 / -1
    Well... it wasn't quite that they didn't want to pay him the big bucks... they didn't trust him enough to pay him the big bucks because, like Vincent Jackson, he had a problem with accumulating DUI's. I don't know that they got totally screwed, mostly because I think the move from more urban KC to more rural Minneapolis (yes, it's still a metropolis but it's sounded by a wilderness environment much more conducive to Allen's interests and personality) gave him more of a vehicle to stay away from the drunk driving. Just my two cents on that last bit though.
  14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Yea exactly right on JAs drinking probably. I doubt he stopped with the DnDing either, just easier when you got 40 mile gravel roads to back route on. IMO get rid of VJ tho.
  15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    Well, it's complicated: In general, I think AJ's done a good job
    (I think many who complain about recent drafts don't fully appreciate the fact that we haven't had
    a top 10 pick in ages...Hell, people act like AJ was extravagant, paying to get Mathews at #12!)
    but I think he has neglected the D in recent history, and that has tied Manusky's and Norv's
    hands to some extent. Phillips & Weddle are good, but there's no intimidators...there's no Merriman-type.

As far as schemes...yeah, there's always room for improvement. But never in my decades of watching
    this game have I ever seen such an imbalance, tipped to simple lack of execution. That one tiny mishandling
    of a routine snap could've been the difference between playoffs and no playoffs. Add a half dozen
    uncharacteristic Rivers (alone!...never mind other players) miscues and the Chargers win 3 or 4 of those
    lousy losses. That's 11-5 or 12-4 and no one is pointing fingers. Just my two cents. BTW: you're on a roll today.
  16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    He was. Mathews is a good athlete but paying that price for a RB, especially with the defensive needs we had/have, was not a shrewd move.
  17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    For me, jury's still out on that one, Buck. If RM continues to struggle with fumbles,
    and injuries significantly reduce his availability, I'm inclined to agree.
    But if he--like AP, and to a lesser extent, LT--overcome the fumbling and can stay
    healthy enough for, say 1,400 yard a season, then I think 'the Clipboard Jesus pick'
    will have been well spent.
  18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    RB's don't carry that kind of value in this league any more. That may switch back someday, but it sure isn't true right now. And they should & usually do come up to speed quicker than most positions.

That & availability have reduced the draft value for RB's.
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +882 / 15 / -1
    Part of the neglecting the D is turnover. Part of it is a case of the fact that expecting him to pul another Shawne Merriman out of his butt just because he found the actual Merriman once before (and had the requisite high pick to be able to draft him) is a little naive. Not saying on your part, I'm saying in general for most fans.

Shawne Merriman was a flat out freak athlete, those type of prospects don't come out every year and when they do they rarely make it down anywhere near the picks that the teams that are making the playoffs have (typically #20 at the earliest).

I'm not going to dispute that Larry English was just a WTF were you thinking pick; heck I damn near rear-ended a guy on the 110 while listening to the draft live on the radio and driving to a wedding. The problem I have is that people exacerbate the WTF-ness of the English pick because hindsight is 20/20 and they see now what Clay Matthews is doing (with CM3 having been on the board). Thing is... if you were to poll the GM's at the time, Ted Thompson was widely regarded to have made a calculated reach for Matthews - who was not carrying 1st round stock on most boards, but had upside that enticed some teams because of the elite burst (this was where scouts started taking a much closer look at the 10-yard split time on 40 yard dash times for pass-rushers) he demonstrated in workouts. From there it was a combination of the prospects upside plus the favor he ended up currying with DC Dom Capers and LB Coach Kevin Greene. That English pick, I still stand by my belief that we were targeting one of Orakpo (if by some miracle he fell) or Cushing where we were, and we were handicapped because we had no 2nd round pick, and trading our 3rd was a sketchy prospect because we'd already let Goff go to FA and didn't have a viable starter at RG (outside of journeyman Kynan Forney).

That part I'll fault AJ (and Norv because in the instance of at least one of the guys we traded up for - Hester - that was "Norv's guy") for is not getting better return out of the players he's traded up to get. Weddle, yes... past that... iffy even with Mathews (mostly because I just don't put that much personal value in drafting RB's high unless they're a Peterson/Simpson type prospect; but then AJ was also letting the "we're giving you your new LT" statement carry a bit more weight in that pick).

Like I said, it's a lot easier to look back on the draft class 2 and 3 years later (after the players have had a chance to develop) and say, "Hey, we could have had him at that spot instead of ___." But again, the quality of development the player receives where he was actually drafted has to factor in and we're looking at finished products whereas our front office was looking at the raw product. We actually did invest a fair amount of picks in defense (several of them early picks - the problem is that our offensive picks ended up requiring or necessitating the use of additional picks in order to get the offense to where it was: A 2nd for Chambers after Buster turned out to be Buster, a future 2nd to trade up for Hester, a 6th for Crayton due to injuries and the VJ standoff). And we've had some of those picks that flopped on us on defense too (Waters, Ellison - though not for football-related issues).

There does seem to be a major disconnect between the way AJ's drafting and the way Norv runs this team - which is odd considering how much they supposedly communicate, but it's noticeable all the same. AJ, like his mentors Butler and Polian, drafts for upside and for raw athletic ability that may need polish. Developing and polishing doesn't appear to be a strength of a number of guys on Norv's staff. And there are some scheme issues too; AJ's drafting man-cover corners and all our DC's other than Rivera (and even he used it at first) played an off-zone coverage scheme which doesn't play to the strong points of our young players' games. Teddy did it with Cro, Manusky's doing it with Cason.
  20. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Okay Norv and AJ stay, I've been in agony the past 7 hours but, YOU BETTER ******* FIRE MANUSKY'S *** NORV!
  21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,346 / 19 / -3
    If this is what we are stuck with then the defense needs to be reloaded and retooled immediately.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    All I know is SOMEBODY better get FIRED! I don't care if it is the equipment manager, but someone has to go!

I'm disappointed but use to it after so many years! I just hope this is not related to a potential move out of San Diego. My guess is that Spanos was looking for a reason not to payoff Norv and Aj to leave, and felt the improved performance the last few weeks was his rationalization to keep them.

AJ...Please draft some grade A beef!
    • Like Like x 1
  23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Prob too late for this, but was checkin out the playoff matchups and couldnt help but scroll down and notice the nice condenced NFL standings.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture
    AFC
    Division Leaders W L T DIV CONF
    [*] Patriots 13 3 0 5-1 10-2
    [z] Ravens 12 4 0 6-0 9-3
    [y] Texans 10 6 0 4-2 8-4
    [y] Broncos 8 8 0 3-3 6-6
    Wildcard W L T DIV CONF
    [x] Steelers 12 4 0 4-2 9-3
    [x] Bengals 9 7 0 2-4 6-6
    Eliminated W L T DIV CONF
    Titans 9 7 0 3-3 7-5
    Jets 8 8 0 3-3 6-6
    Chargers 8 8 0 3-3 7-5
    Raiders 8 8 0 3-3 6-6
    Chiefs 7 9 0 3-3 4-8
    Dolphins 6 10 0 3-3 5-7
    Bills 6 10 0 1-5 4-8
    Jaguars 5 11 0 3-3 4-8
    Browns 4 12 0 0-6 3-9
    Colts 2 14 0 2-4 2-10

I dont know why no one else has noticed this phenomenon yet? The NFC side is almost a mirror copy. SO many teams this year won more than 6 games. Its just hard to get over .500 like that.

ALSO a big factor to consider is the truth in NFL pairity. The conference record for 8 teams was .500 alone....
  24. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    FIRE MANUSKY!! BUT for the love of god first and formost lets kick that lazy pill poppin CHOW and anyone he associates with that is on the staff the fkc out of here.
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    Manusky better be gone tomorrow.

32nd in 3rd down defense this year....WORST IN THE ENTIRE NFL.
  26. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    The Jared Allen trade looked AWFUL when it happened, but the draft picks were turned into Jamaal Charles and Brandon Alberts, the best running back in the league (when healthy) and our starting Left Tackle.

With Tamba Hali becoming a better pass rusher than Allen, it turned into quite a deal for us.

The point is, what looks good at the moment isn't always the best move long-term.
  27. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    CAN HAZ PASS RUSH? We need a BIG SCARY guy like we've had in the past to make the QB squirm.
  28. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    I'm good with this too. Are there ball boys in the NFL? If so we should FIRE THEM! Someone needs to take responsibility! My frustration is our performance has degraded the past five years, and besides a few coaching changes, nothing has improved. If not Norv and AJ...then WHO? F*** I should have thought of this earlier...FIRE all the cheerleaders!

If that does not work, we need to attack the folks that operate the Bolt talk podcast! Fire them ALL. Okay...I will take my medicine now. :eek:
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,526 / 7 / -2
  30. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    I am disappointed but the only thought I have regarding this is maybe there was no other option and keeping AJ and Norv was because the other choices were no choice. The choices available would have kept the team down for longer than it has been. Maybe keeping both AJ and Norv and hitting rock bottom they can rebuild with a different outlook. I never liked Norv as a choice for coach but maybe he is the best option at this point.