1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers approached Ladanian Tomlinson about returning in 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Apr 28, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Chargers approached LaDainian Tomlinson about 2013 return

Posted by Josh Alper on April 28, 2013, 9:38 AM EDT
    Getty Images
    Running back LaDainian Tomlinson did not have a good relationship with former Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith, something that helped preclude a last hurrah with the team before Tomlinson retired last year.

There’s a new regime in San Diego now and it apparently comes with a more open mind about Tomlinson wearing a lightning bolt on his helmet. Tomlinson told Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports that the team contacted him about pausing his retirement for a return to the Chargers for the 2013 season.

“I met [General Manager] Tom Telesco and [coach] Mike McCoy at the combine, and they asked me to come back and play,” Tomlinson said. “I saw [executive vice president] John Spanos at a restaurant in Indy, and he introduced me to them, and they brought it up. At first I thought they weren’t really serious, but they kept talking about it, and I realized it was real. They said, ‘You can come back and carry it 10 or 12 times a game. We’d like to have you here.’”

Tomlinson appreciated the offer, but decided to pass on the chance to get back on the football field.

“No, because when I made the decision to walk away, I wrestled with it long and hard, and I knew it was final. Once I retired, that was it. My mind is in a different place. Mentally, going back would have been too hard.”

A desire to give the 33-year-old Tomlinson 10-12 touches a game suggests that the Chargers would like to lessen Ryan Mathews‘ workload. They signed Danny Woodhead as a free agent, but didn’t add any other help at running back with their six selections in the draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...oached-ladainian-tomlinson-about-2013-return/
  2. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 2 / -0
    I think saying they want to lessen his workload is an understatement.

I'd love to say this is the final slap in the face from AJ, but we still have gifts that keep on giving like Mouton and English. I still remember the moment I watched this draft on my DVR an hour or two after the live event. I couldn't believe the Chargers traded up and wasted extra picks we all knew we needed. It felt like a bad idea from the first second

This was AJ's ego getting in the way of logic. He wanted to replace LT and make everyone see that his complaints about system and O-line were wrong. Guess what? LT was right.

Now this? Jeeze, its time to start breaking out the 'B' word for RM24.
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    I hoped Mathews would have turned into a star RB, but I think his time in SD is rapidly coming to a close. I think he might even lose his starting spot this season if he doesn't find a way to step up big.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    I am skeptical that it happened like this. LT no longer has value as a RB. Stranger things have happened though.
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    As fun as it would be to see him come out that tunnel again, he needs to stay retired. The legs are just not there anymore.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 36 / -16
    Actually, I got an e-mail from Charger great Lance Alworth, and he recited a similar account:
    Telesco, (John) Spanos & McCoy ran into Lance at the Mira Mesa Red Lobster,
    and told him that--"even at 72"--they felt he had more reliable hands than Meachem...
    and, in fact, for about 3 hours Saturday evening, the following WR depth
    chart was up on http://www.chargers.com/team/fauxroster.html
    Note that #19 is not explicitly spelled-out...(but I got a little help from Alex Jones on this)

Charger WR Depth Chart w/ Secret Receiver #19

1) Malcom Floyd
    2) Vincent Brown
    3) Danario Alexander
    4) Keenan Allen
    5) Robert Meachem
    7) Richard Goodman
    8) Deon Butler
    10) Mike’s Willie
    11) Darrius Heyward-Bey
    12) David Boston
    13) Buster Davis
    14) Kervin Johnson
    15) Bob Hayes
    16) Steve Bartman
    17) Bill Buckner
    18) Craigetta Whelihan
    19) "Thumper" Bambi

Lance Returns!!.png

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    I wouldn't expect Mouton to be around much longer...... if he's as bad as reported, somebody will beat him out in camp.
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571 / 44 / -6
    tomlinson just needs to stay out of San Diego and the longer the better!!!!!!
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  9. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings Received:
    +193 / 1 / -0
    Wouldn't mind seeing him on the sidelines as maybe a running backs coach.....that would be cool.:cool:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    This was my thought when I saw the header. As a young player he took the advice of Emitt Smith on how to take care of himself and be a NFL RB. The season that he broke all the rushing and TD records he was a phenomenon.
  11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,571 / 44 / -6
    Just stay away. NO MORE CRYBABIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I would of loved LT back. He could really be mentor to Ryan Mathews, who he grew up idolizing. It's not about what he would bring to the table as a player, it would be the experience and locker room presence. Did you guys see the role he played in NY? He got that team totally pumped up to beat New England in New England in 2010 I believe it was, where they lost 45-3 weeks before.

I wouldn't mind that here, even if he touched the ball 5-10 times a game. It would be similar to what the Ravens did with Rice when he had Willis McGahee and Ricky Williams behind him.
  13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    I think all that does is scream that the Chargers don't have any faith whatsoever in Ryan Mathews and it will take one more injury, one more case of fumble-itis and it's game over for him. My only question is what will the Chargers do - invest in a veteran running back or give Rock Baker and the UDFAs a chance?
  14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,580 / 29 / -1
    Start? People have been doing it since day 1.
  15. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    See, I've seen comments like this and I don't believe it, I think its bologna to say "the Chargers don't believe in Ryan Mathews." Obviously, you and others have their own opinions, but don't you think if they really believed that, they would of drafted like it was a need, sorta like they did with ILB?

This is how I see it,

Mathews = 2 down back
    Woodhead = 3rd down back (Sproles Role)

Our entire offense was dreadful last year. And I think, what we saw from RM in 2011, is what we've been waiting for. He had a tough rookie year in 2010, and in 2011 came out aggressive, showed he could take the load. Now, Norv being his stubborn self, seemed to take the ball away from the kid when he was on fire. Maybe he didn't want added pressure on RM or whatever, but he needs a head coach who's going to lead, and also tell him, "Hey, go ice this game for us and get that 1st down." That's what McCoy is going to do.

We also have one of the best offensive line coaches in the game. And, I'm telling you, people are gonna be surprised with the miracle this guy pulls off with this offensive line.

Call me optimistic or what'd ya like, but I think we're going to see a totally different and better offense from the **** show we saw last year. Not saying we're gonna go to the playoffs or anything, but we will improve.
  16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,571 / 44 / -6
    I rectum I hit a never to some folks, I hope y'all ain't too butt hurt.
  17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,580 / 29 / -1
    Whenever I get but hurt I hit "disagree" on internet web forums because that's the equivalent of yelling, screaming, and punching walls.
  18. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I think it's a bit extreme to say that the Chargers have no faith in Mathews whatsoever, but it is clear that he is sitting in the hot seat right now.

How does everyone feel about the potential of bringing Burner Turner back as a short-yardage option? Can't deny that he still has a nose for the end zone despite having slowed down these last few years.
  19. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Did anyone hear the Chargers talked to LT about returning?

I read it somewhere....
  20. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 1 / -0
    lol, sorry about all that guys, and gals. I messed up when merging the draft day threads and somehow merged this one. I found all of the posts (atleast I hope), and fixed it back up. Sorry if it caused any confusion, or issues. ;)

Let me know if I missed anyone's post from this thread and I will gladly re-merge it back. Or you feel like yelling at me for messing up. Haha.
  21. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Really? When I hit disagree it simply means I dont agree with the post... Guess 'Agree' is in the eyes of the beholder...
  22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,580 / 29 / -1
    Not me. I only hit it when I'm in a fit of rage over somebody's post and I feel like throwing a tantrum.

That's why somebody's able to easily draw the conclusion that I'm buthurt because he saw a few red x's given to his post.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  23. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    So now I have to go back and review the 200+ red Xs you gave me! Thanks! I thought I could relax the rest of the day... Damn you Leo! ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 36 / -16
    Just shows the variety of opinion on this site.
    The only time I've ever used the big "X"
    was to show my support for Cromartie's right to sign a contract.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    X

Take that!
  26. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 11 / -0
    ...I need an "accurate" rating button
    • Informative Informative x 1
  27. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 36 / -16
    Why wish for something you'd have virtually no opportunity to use? ;)

May as well ask for a "GREAT DEMONSTRATION OF JUDGEMENT" button for the Westboro Baptist Church site.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  28. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I think this is LT blowing half hearted cocktail talk into something real for his ego. I think it was nothing more than people trying to be nice to him and he took it seriously. Now Tabasco cant come out and say LT is full of it now can he...
  29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 36 / -16
    Well...I don't wanna dump on LT...my guess is that Telescopo probably said something more along the lines of:
    "Hey LT, you were great! Ever think you might wanna come into camp one more time, and
    see how those legs feel? No such thing as too many Hall of Famers in the backfield, eh?" :tup:

AND CONFIRMED A DAY LATER, ON 4/29/13
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...s-ladainian-tomlinson-return-talk-not-serious

Just Good Fun.png
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +812 / 5 / -0
    I think I heard a similar story last week, except that they approached Natrone Means first.