1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers camp: Day three whispers

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Aug 1, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +252 / 1 / -0
    <strong>August 1, 2005</strong>
    Source: <a href="http://www.sdboltreport.com/">SD Bolt Report</a>

The softest hands on the San Diego Chargers? Look no further than Kris Dielman – an offensive lineman who caught a touchdown pass right before the final bell tolled to end practice.

Kris Dielman – his fellow teammates, mostly defensive players, joke about being the dirtiest player on the team – looked the part of an offensive guru when he hauled in a pass from Drew Brees before the end of the afternoon session on Sunday. He was surrounded by the rest of the line after the play, applauding their new savior.

"We ran that play yesterday on the other field and he was wide open, but they didn't throw it to him," said head coach Marty Schottenheimer. "I thought Brees would throw it to him yesterday and he didn't, but he was determined to throw it to him today, and Kris made a terrific catch."

With the team in full pads, Kris Dielman had plenty of opportunities to stand out, besides his work on the goal line. He looked fantastic in pass-rushing drills, fending off all attacks from defensive linemen.

# The Chargers added two players to the roster on Sunday, Duncan Reid, a tight end out of Fresno State and running back Derek Farmer out of Stephen F. Austin University. Farmer was ranked 49th among running backs coming out in the draft in November by TFY Draft Preview.

Reid was signed by Dallas as an undrafted free agent and was released at the beginning of June.

"The Dallas Cowboys were the first ones to call after the draft," Reid said. "They were one of the teams that I would fit well at, so I took the offer."

He was released by Dallas in early June.

Now that he has signed on with San Diego, Reid feels lucky and knows he must work hard.

"I have been truly blessed to have this opportunity," said Reid. "Now I have to make the best of it."

# Charger new TV announcer Josh Lewin made an appearance at camp on Sunday and perhaps made the official announcement on the wearing of the powder blue jerseys:

"I can't wait to get going," he said. "I can't wait to see the Powder Blues on Monday night against Pittsburgh.

"I am fired up."

# Philip Rivers was intercepted by Stephen Cooper during 9-on-7 drills. Cooper telegraphed the route, a short slant, due to Rivers' lack of delivery. He was locked onto the receiver and was slow to deliver the pass, allowing Cooper to hop the route and take it to the house.

Rivers also had troubles with holding onto the ball. He had one ball squirt out of his hands as he tried to throw it - or perhaps pull it back down - and lost a center exchange with Bob Hallen.

Brees was also intercepted on an overthrown pass late in practice. Aided by the pressure put on by Marques Harris, Jamar Fletcher, a man on fire, picked the pass. Ironically, it was his worst coverage of the day as he had been beat soundly by the receiver – if the pass was delivered properly by Brees.

He was routinely on the back pocket of each receiver for the rest of the day although one other play looked like it could have been an interference call.

"I try and play as hard as I can," the cornerback said.

# Vincent Jackson looked much smoother on Sunday, with a few practices under his belt.

Greg Camarillo, an undrafted free agent out of Stanford, made a few nice catches on Sunday. He got the crowd to their feet early in practice, making a sweet over the shoulder catch in the back of the end zone. But the catch of the day went to Lorenzo Neal who had a ball delivered to him on a cross with Neal diving to make the stab. The only problem with the reception is would not have counted in a real game as it took Brees a full ten seconds to get it off with the defense covering well.

Justin Peelle had an up and down day. He made a few receptions with some sweet route running but also dropped his share of wide open chances.

One man who regressed from a spectacular first two days was Kassim Osgood. He dropped a few very easy catches on Sunday.