1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers caught using "sticky substance" during MNF

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PRiversMVP619, Oct 21, 2012.

1. mando-charger

mando-charger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    From what I've read thus far it seems a towel with the sticky substance on it was the item confiscated after some suspect behavior ie. Rubbing the substance on gloves was observed. But yes I'd say logically they should have been checking players gloves etc at that point.
  2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    I guess better a towel than a sticky sock. ;)
  3. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Maybe they used it to play a prank on Rivers? Put it in his helmet?

[​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. mando-charger

mando-charger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Lol nice. But unlike this situation at least the sticky sock would have had a happy ending in it......seriously though this really kills my team pride and dampers the whole football season. We have tickets to see Sd take on kc and cin still this season and at this point I'm having a difficult time even getting remotely excited to go to the games and am almost wishing I hadn't bought the tickets. If it was one or two individuals I hope they can man up and admit their mistakes....if it's team wide I don't even know what to say and either way the coaching staff is awful for condoning this, looking the other way while it happened, or having no clue to what their players where doing and all need to be held accountable. It dosnt even matter now if we some how won our division and went to the afc championship....ourngame is now dragged through the mudd as likley cheaters, our game play has been inconsistent and sloppy, we are fast on our way to having a raideresqe reputation and this is all we will here about when the chargers are talked about for the rest of this season and I'm sure next season.
  5. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    I mean, if were going to cheat, lets do it with something that gives us a better chance of winning. Rivers was throwing it to them more than us, pretty much negates the stick em. We could go with the Patriot way and tape other peoples practices. Only cost them about $750,000, but that seems like old news. Could go to the dirt bag cut blocking schemes of the Broncos in the 90's/00's under Shanarat and end some D-linemens careers. Nah, pretty sure were not that team. Sprinkler controller dude from Buffalo Wild Wings? Michellin Tire ball? Robotic leg Nate Kaeding! Could work, we just get the kickoff, kneel on it, and immediately kick a 90 yard field goal every time we get the ball. Normally get the ball 8 -12 times a game. Saving that much time, probably 12-14 times a game. Thats 36-42 points a game. Think we could go 11-5 on that. Spike the Gatorade on the other teams side? Put the stick em all over the ground on the visiting team side? Send midgets to sucker punch the whole other team int he locker room? I might be reaching but...
  6. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +252 / 1 / -0
    Are we REALLY going to lose draft picks over this? I mean I figured we were going to get a pretty high first round, but this just crushes my will to live for the week...
  7. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    No way we would lose a first, maybe a second or a third though. Good thing with AJ in charge it doesnt effect our drafting of the OL, cause no way 1, 2, or 3 is a Lineman.
  8. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 4 / -0
    This whole thing is just pathetic. We're playing like a high-school team, now we have to ACT like a high-school team too? Good gravy......we're fast becoming the laughingstock of the NFL and all anyone in the organization can do is stand there with egg on their faces. How friggin' embarrassing. :poop:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. phillyBoltfan

phillyBoltfan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The most embarrassing time to be a Charger fan! I literally want to cry!
  10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Tha Patriots lost a first round pick when they were caught video taping.
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Same with New Orleans. I see The team getting fined, as well as a loss of a 1st. It seems to me like our WR's had the stick em on their feet because they weren't able to run or jump for balls
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6136544

For tampering, the Lions lost a seventh and swapped 5th picks with the Chiefs. I can't see the Chargers losing more than a 6th.
  13. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +30 / 1 / -0
    Theory: Getting caught cheating at half time and knowing they were busted demoralizes team for second half. And no matter what Norv knew and when he is ultimately responsible for the team on the field of play. He should be fired now to try to give the Chargers at least the tiniest shred of credibility but now all of Gates and VJs catches and LTs runs over the years are going to get called into question, even if they had nothing to do with this.
  14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    I honestly don't think this is going to turn into anything major. But the timing of the story couldn't have been better... following hot on the hells of the "Chill Pill" disaster.

Spanos is the laughingstock of the league.
  15. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Turner denies Chargers used stickum

Posted by Darin Gantt on October 22, 2012, 5:14 PM EDT
    [​IMG]
    Getty Images
    Chargers coach Norv Turner denied Monday that his team used stickum in last week’s loss to the Broncos, via the Associated Press.

The league’s investigating a report that an equipment manager came onto the field with atowel which contained a sticky substance.

Turner said the team uses a towel, just like “a lot of teams in this league” to dry the ball, as well as players’ arms and gloves.

For a team that’s got enough problems right now, dealing with this one is clearly not on Turner’s wish list.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/
  16. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,758 / 47 / -26
    Norv in his presser today said the Chargers weren't using any Stickum, it was just a "golf" towel that's used to get moisture off balls and gloves. I don't think the NFL has made such things illegal, so it's most likely nothing comes of this after all.

Edit: Corona just beat me to it. ;)
  17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 11 / -0
    I'm sorry but I just don't see this as a team-wide issue... much more likely an isolated incident revolving around 1 equipment guy or at most a small handful of people.

Do you really see players like Rivers, Gates, Spikes, Jammer, Weddle, etc... being OK with this in any way if they had ANY idea it was going on? I just don't see it flying if the majority of our players or coaches had any inkling of it. I know people love to hate on Norv and I get it (I do) but he's a good man and a man of integrity (which is why I get defensive when people tear him down). I want more information about this before I start making judgment calls on the organization or any specific people... I'm also pretty curious as to why this "substance" wasn't just handed to the NFL on Monday but also to the Broncos?

EDIT-thinking out loud: Based on the last two updates I wondered if a single player had something on their gloves and it was wiped off onto the towel? Or if something came off the ball itseld? But...that just doesn't jive with the assertion that the refs made the equip guy empty his pockets and that's how they confiscated the "stickem"... hrmmm...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Until the information comes out we can only guess. I would love to knwo exactly who was using the stuff, and I would hope that the Chargers would take care of this before the league had to.
  19. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Oh ****! Now your talking prime AJ O-Line drafting picks. 5,6,7 seems to be his bread and butter to create this amazing O-Line wall.
  20. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
  21. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 4 / -0
    Yeah....coulda done without that. Yeccch.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings Received:
    +190 / 1 / -0
    If you're not cheating, you're not trying....

We even suck when we try to cheat......:oops:
  23. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    MOAR STICKUM!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Oh! Hey! Can we cover the the OL in stickum so that the DL cant get past them?
  25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571 / 44 / -6
    Now I'm bummed out, I was hoping this would blow up into a gigantic scandal, with front page shots of Norv, AJ and Deano all cuffed together being lead out to the NFL paddy wagon by the NFL secret police. All this over a golf rag, someone stepped into the do do on this one.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    Just a polite reminder...

Take your weak sause biased political commentary elsewhere.

Carry on. :)
  27. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 11 / -0
    Norv Turner denies Chargers used Stickum, but inconsistencies emerge
    By Dan McLellan | CBSSports.com
    October 22, 2012 7:19 pm ET

Chargers coach Norv Turner on Monday denied that his team used a banned sticky substance in their 35-24 loss to the Broncos on Oct. 15.
    “Nobody from the San Diego Chargers used Stickum in the game [against Denver],” Turner said Monday. “Nobody has used Stickum in any game."

The NFL banned the product Stickum in 1981.

“The questions that have been asked by the league involve a towel that has been used by this organization for over 10 years,” Turner said. “It's used by a lot of teams in this league. The towel is used to dry the balls, to dry the gloves the players wear and their arms. The league is looking into the towel and that is about where we are at.”

Turner seemed to indicate that a member of the Chargers' organization had received permission to use the towel in question. “It has been asked about in the past,” Turner said. “One of the officials in the past said he thought it would be a good thing to use. This is a couple of years ago.”

Turner clarified, “According to our equipment guys --- this would be a good thing to use to dry his clubs when he is playing golf.”
    WR Robert Meachem, however, appeared to contradict Turner about whether it was a specific type of towel. “It just the towel you wear on your side,” Meachem said. “That little towel right there," he said, as he pointed to a white cotton towel at the floor of his locker.

Meachem said he used the same type of towel when he played for the Saints from 2007 to 2011.

The Broncos are responsible for making something out of nothing, according to Turner. “It's the first time that it has been brought to [the league's] attention and it was brought to their attention by Denver,” Turner said. “A lot of attention that has come out of it out of the last three or four days has come from the same sources.”

The issue of punishment for the use of the towel was not addressed. “It's something that has obviously been brought to the league's attention,” Turner said. “If they decide that teams shouldn't use it, there are going to be a lot of teams having to change what they use.”

Turner did not identify the brand of towel in question. “They are going to make a lot of money off of it,” Turner said. “I understand a lot of golfers use it to dry their grips in inclement weather, but it is pretty widely used throughout the league. I do not need to help anybody in terms of marketing there."

There were initial allegations that officials had found two flesh-colored sticky bandages in the pocket of a San Diego equipment manager. “That is not what the league is asking us about,” Turner said. “If you believe everything you read, you are going to be chasing a lot of wrong stories.”

Turner also denied reports that the equipment manager initially refused to turn over the item(s) in question. “Don't believe everything you read,” Turner said. “What we are telling you is how this thing was handled and I don't believe anyone refused to turn over the material. The official came over to me and talked. You are making a lot bigger deal out of something that happened during the game.”

Turner addressed the media immediately after practice at a podium outside the team's locker room. OLB Shaun Phillips followed and addressed concerns about the team's integrity.

“Cheaters is a big word,” Phillips said. “I have seen a lot of cheating in the NFL. I do not know if using Stickum would be considered big-time cheating. It always sucks because you never want to be [called] a cheater.”

Follow Chargers reporter Dan McLellan on Twitter @CBSChargers and @sandiegosports.

Tags: Robert Meachem, Shaun Phillips, San Diego Chargers, NFL
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,291 / 12 / -5
    Kinda surprised no one posted this one yet. Guess I'm the only one old enough to remember:

29. ETicket

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. ETicket

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    That latest article really sheds a different light. Very interesting that the initial and subsequent illumination of the issue came from the Broncos. :cautious: