1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers caught using "sticky substance" during MNF

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PRiversMVP619, Oct 21, 2012.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,445 / 19 / -4
    Hell he might have to spend a second day pick of an OL
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +819 / 5 / -0
    Here is an image of the evidence provided by the Bwonkos and the officiating staff:

Get High.png
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    Funny Pointy, but...

Here is a photo of the actual towel that was confiscated from the Chargers sideline.

evidence.jpg
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +819 / 5 / -0
    ^^^ If that was the alleged towel, number one (no pun intended) the footballs would not be sticky, and number two I wouldn't want to catch a ball either...
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. ETicket

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    I think you underestimate Novak's, shall we say, contribution. :D
  7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +819 / 5 / -0
    I guess everyone needs a pissboy at some point...

pissboy.jpg
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. D4L

D4L BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Well, for now I"m gonna put my faith in Norv and the Team. For now I'll believe it's a special towel used to dry the and maybe the Official, who probably should've been paying more attention to the game, just thought he saw something else. Until we get more info or the investigation is finalized, this may all be the donks starting a big stink over nothing. Here's a link to a towel that Norv may be talking bout.
    http://www.globalgolf.com/product/a...accessories-towel/frogger/amphibian.aspx?gd=1
  9. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +802 / 54 / -42
    [​IMG]

I have a feeling that E isn't thinking that Kimmy Novak was taking a slash [​IMG] at all Pointy ......I believe he indeed may well think that our excitable boy may well have been having a [​IMG] into that towel ...................thus the Stic k um controversy.
  10. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +802 / 54 / -42
    A "FROGGER" towel, seriously ?????

Pahhhhhhlease SHIRLEY, tell me this was meant in jest ??? [​IMG]
  11. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    But did it? I thought I read they were being investigated even before this last game. Anyway the truth will come out eventually, unfortunately I think it's likely to take a while.
  12. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hi :) I still post there occasionally. The moderation there has been frustrating for a long while, but somehow I seem to put up with more on sports boards than I do on some others (like music ones).
  13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +819 / 5 / -0
    The last guy caught doing something in public like you are suggesting is still paying for that little escapade:

pee-wee-mug shot.jpg
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Albert Breer

@AlbertBreer
    As @JayGlazer reported yesterday, the league is looking into the SD stick-um matter. But as of now, hearing not much conclusive is there.

Good! Now can we have our sticky towels back?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. ETicket

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    Yes it did. A different light. Not necessarily a more accurate light. :D We shall see.
  16. genospicks

genospicks BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    as i tweeted earlier today:

@Chargers trainer caught w/sticky towel on MNF? if only Norv's dad was caught with a sticky towel 50 years ago #FireNorv
  17. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    Norv Turner says team's towels are league standard; Broncos started this

Handshakes are usually saved for after a game.

So, wide receiver Robert Meachem deemed it strange when a referee, one by one, took some Chargers players by the hand Oct. 15 during the third quarter of their Monday night game against the Broncos.

"Then he went about his business," Meachem said. "We didn't know what he was doing. He made it like he was saying 'hi.'"

It seems he wasn't.

Line judge Jeff Bergman spotted something, real or perceived, that has the Chargers at the center of an NFL investigation. That ongoing process was made public Sunday, and on Monday, following their first practice in five days, coach Norv Turner and players responded by denying allegations of cheating.

Those mid-game handshakes were possibly done under suspicion players were using Stickum or a similar banned adhesive to gain a competitive edge. Material was confiscated at the game and sent both to the Broncos and league office, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed Sunday.

“Nobody from the San Diego Chargers used Stickum in the game on Monday night against the Denver Broncos,” Turner said at the opening of his media conference. “Nobody in this organization has used Stickum in any game. The questions that have been asked by the league involve a towel that has been used by this organization for over 10 years.

“It’s used by a lot of teams in this league. The towel is used to dry the balls, dry the gloves the players wear, and arms. The league is looking into the towel, and that’s about where we’re at.”

Multiple league representatives arrived at Chargers Park last week on Tuesday and Wednesday, Turner said, to conduct their investigation.

They evaluated the towels and asked about the history of their usage.

Turner declined to give the brand name of towels, saying he has no incentive to boost the brand's marketing profile, but described the towels as something golfers have used to dry their grip in inclement weather.

“I believe this is the first time it was brought to (the league's) attention," Turner said. "It was brought to their attention by Denver and then a lot of the attention that’s come out of it over the last three or four days came from the same sources.”

Attempts on Monday to determine the focus of the NFL's investigation were unsuccessful.

Aiello was sent an email inquiry, asking whether the towels themselves are under probe or if there was a sticky substance discovered separate from the towels.

"There is a rule prohibiting the use of foreign substances like stickum," Aielo said via email.

He declined, after a follow-up email, to address whether such a foreign substance was found either on a towel or elsewhere on the Chargers sideline.

"We are reviewing the matter," Aiello said. "We are not providing details at this point."

Players ranged in their level of talkativeness about the subject.

Nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin spent last year with the Saints, home of Bounty Gate. He said he couldn't speak to any banned grip enhancers, as he only uses regular tape — no gloves — around his hands.

"I'm old school," Franklin said.

Meachm wore pink and black gloves against the Broncos.

To improve his grasp of a football, those do the trick just fine, he said.

"The way they make gloves now, it would be insane if you were to use, I guess, whatever they say we're using," Meachem said. "As soon as you open the gloves out of the package, they've got a quish sound."

The NFL outlawed the use of Stickum, a grip enhancer sold in the paste, powder or aerosol spray form, and substances like it in 1981.

Linebacker Jarret Johnson called it an "old issue."

"I haven't heard it unless you're watching NFL Classic or whatever," Johnson said. "To my knowledge, nobody uses Stickum. I don't know why anybody would. There's a lot of tricks that are legal that many people don't know about. Our jerseys are Velcroed on. Some of our jerseys are elastic underneath; they don't really tuck in even though they look like they're tucked. A lot of guys' thigh pads are actually flexible pads that are sewn into your pants.

"So, there's a lot of things that the general public doesn't know. If that (towel) product is deemed as illegal, I think everybody in the league uses it to my knowledge. Stickum? No. Ever seen 'Little Giants'? There it is. It's ridiculous."
  18. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    the only wetness on the field must have been from all the tears from the fans in the stands. And doesnt the NFL have a crew that handles and cares for the footballs?
  19. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    It was hot that night and sweat is wet you know. Just because it's not raining doesn't mean there's nothing to wipe off the ball or players.
  20. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    Towel maker: Chargers were using our product, not Stickum

In a new twist on this week’s oddest NFL story, a company that makes hand towels specifically designed for athletes says that the Chargers were using its product — not Stickum or any other prohibited adhesive — during the Monday night incident in which officials suspected Chargers players were violating league rules.

The NFL is investigating whether the Chargers were using an adhesive substance like Stickum (which was once popular with NFL receivers and defensive backs but was banned by the league more than 30 years ago) during their Monday night loss to the Broncos. Chargers coach Norv Turner said his players weren’t using Stickum but were just using a type of towel that the Chargers have used for years. However, Turner did not specify what kind of towel it was.

Now the towel-making company Gorilla Gold has come forward to say the Chargers were using its Gorilla Gold Grip Enhancer towels, which use “all-natural resins” to improve the grips of athletes in many sports. Gorilla Gold says its products leave no residue on the football and are not against the rules.

“In regards to the recent NFL controversy involving Norv Turner and the San Diego Chargers,” the company said in a statement, “they were not the first, nor are they the only team or players to use Gorilla Gold. It has been in use by many teams including the CFL for over ten years on the field, on the sideline, and in the training room.”
    Gorilla Gold did not name any other NFL teams or any NFL players who use its towels, and the NFL has not said publicly whether Gorilla Gold towels are permitted under league rules. When the league’s investigation is completed, we’ll all learn more about what the NFL permits players to put on their hands during games. And the Chargers could learn that players putting the wrong products on their hands could cost the team draft picks.
  21. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +819 / 5 / -0
    I think that the Chargers should go into that stadium in Denvir on November 18th waving those Gorilla Gold towels over their heads and then they could either throw them at the Bronkos bench or throw them into the stands...

P.S. People from this site ( a suggestion only ) should send an email to the towel makers asking them to provide some logo towels to the players for that game on the 18th... I'm sure the league and the Bronkos would appreciate what the Bolts may give them as a gesture of goodwill... I sent an email already, and you never know if they will take it seriously or not. I did see on their home page that they mentioned the Bolts as valued customers, and provided some details about the current situation.
  22. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +93 / 2 / -0
    I must have clicked that disagree icon by accident Sorry!

Heres what I really think about this. The Broncos must not know about this gorilla towel bc if they did they would be using them like everyone else. They were getting their arses kicked and started crying foul. I think this whole thing has been blown out by the media especially PFT which I dispise with all my might. The media got played including Jay Glazer who must have been desperate for a story. Glazer should stick to giving away Izod watches on Twitter. All i want to see is the Bolts b-slap the entire league the rest of the way. By the Floria can go hug a nut with his national enquirer way fo reporting NFL news.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +802 / 54 / -42
    Indeedy .......................glad I personally have been able to keep all my nasty little habits behind closed doors for all these years or else I'd make Pee Wee look like the Pope !!! :whistling:
  25. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    That might be the case, but how would this company actually know what was being used during the game?
  26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    there is a NFL crew whose sole purpose in life is to maintain the game balls during the game. They rotate those game balls in and out constantly. And playing with a wet ball is a part of the game. They try real hard to keep the game ball dry during the rain and snow, BUT we all know by the second half those balls are soaked.
  27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Have you been elevated to mod status? If not, keep it to yourself. :tup:
  28. Sydalish

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    I'm not saying playing with a wet ball isn't part of the game.

I'm saying that your assertion there was no reason to wipe off the ball OR players (hands/arms/whatever) because it wasn't raining is incorrect.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen the players on the field of play with the ball during time-outs. Like you said, it's always in the hands of officials. The exceptions being balls kickers practice with or QB's use to warm-up, or balls used in record breaking plays (like Brees' TD record-which get put to the side for safe keeping). I would imagine they use these towels in practice too (or warm-ups) and that's most likely where it would ever be used on a ball. I don't believe those are in-game balls though.

Sidenote: JFC this post would make for a great drinking game. Every time you see the word "ball" or "balls" take a drink :p
  29. ETicket

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    Ironic that I was asking you to do the same, isn't it?
  30. Sydalish

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    Well I am a mod and I'm asking you both to let this little issue go ;)

Your assistance in keeping BT a drama-free zone is very much appreciated (especially since we know US politics nor the Chargers themselves are capable of helping in that regard these days). Please and thank you much.