1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Double-Dip with Defensive Tackle

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thumper, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    By Jaime Cattano
    SDBoltReport.com

The draft inches closer and the Bolts hone in on their most desired prospects. After ushering one defensive tackle aside for a private meeting at the Senior Bowl, the Chargers reunited with him at the Combine for another private meeting. Read on to discover who this prospect is and to find out what he's done to pique the Chargers' interests.

Less than two months ago at the Senior Bowl, Trevor Laws of Notre Dame announced his goals for the upcoming months.

“I want to get bigger, stronger, faster,” Laws said. “I want to get my body right, be ready to run that 40, run those drills and get better.”

Laws proved he was more than ready at the Combine. After initially meeting with the Chargers in Mobile, Ala., Laws reunited with the Bolts in Indy for some more one-on-one time. With his outstanding performance last week, the Bolts point their finger at him with more assertion than ever.

Laws kicked off the Combine by muscling 35 reps of 225 pounds, the second-best among the defensive linemen. His 30.5" vertical jump was the best recorded out of the defensive tackles.

Pushing himself even harder, Laws marked a competitive 5.08-second 40-yard dash. While USC's Sedrick Ellis is considered the No. 2 defensive tackle in the draft behind LSU's Glenn Dorsey, Ellis recorded just a 5.28 40-yard dash.

The Bolts see Laws' senior stats as an even higher indication of his consistency. Leading the team with 127 tackles in his final year with the Fighting Irish, Laws’ teammates named him Notre Dame’s team MVP. He was the only defensive lineman in the major college ranks to post 100 or more tackles during the 2007 season.

Additionally, Laws tallied four sacks, five pass breakups, three blocked kicks and two fumble recoveries.

At 6'1" and 297 pounds, Laws' height could pose a problem in the draft, possibly allowing him to slip to the fourth round. If he falls that far, he Chargers are sure to jump on him.

After the Bolts were plagued with numerous wounds on the defensive line last season, as Jamal Williams and Luis Castillo combined to miss nine games due to injury. Adding Laws to the roster would protect the Chargers in case such misfortune should happen again.

Laws spent his collegiate years playing a 3-4 scheme, so it would be a smooth transition if he wound up under Ted Cottrell's instruction. With his initial burst of speed off the snap, Laws has an instant advantage over his opponents.

Now, the race is on to see if the two private meetings the Bolts held with Laws persuade them to grab him before another team can make the steal.
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I guess we'd target him with our projected 4th round comp for Donnie? :icon_shrug:

Sounds to me that, with his combine numbers & totals at ND, it's really stretching the imagination to think that he'll fall into the fourth. If so, could be a real sleeper for us.
  3. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    ...I can't imagine him lasting that long. If the Chargers can't engineer a trade with someone for a second or maybe a third, he'll be gone. Even then he might be taken by someone else first. His combine numbers just shot his stock way up.
  4. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +38 / 0 / -0

Laws does not have a 1st round grade, he does have a 2nd or 3rd round grade though.

I go on record saying I have no idea what AJ will do! Will he stay will he trade down? will he use next years 3rd and 4th rounders i this years draft. :icon_huh:

Stan :rivers17: