1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Fans More Loyal that Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders...even Packers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +161 / 2 / -1
    Hey,
    Give yourselves a pat on the back.
    Chargers have more diehard fans than Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders...even the legendary Green Bay Packers:

Two students in Emory University’s Sports Marketing Analytics program in Atlanta completed a study to find the most “loyal and supportive” NFL fanbases. Instead of simply finding the team with the most tickets sold, the students factored in team win/loss record, area population, median income, etc. to see which teams’ fans show up no matter what.
    This gave them a “Fan Equity” ranking to show which fanbases are the most committed to their teams.

1. Dallas Cowboys
    2. New England Patriots
    3. New York Jets
    4. New Orleans Saints
    5. New York Giants
    6. Indianapolis Colts
    7. Chicago Bears
    8. Baltimore Ravens
    9. Pittsburgh Steelers
    10. Tennessee Titans
    11. San Diego Chargers
    12. Denver Broncos
    13. Washington Redskins
    14. Green Bay Packers
    15. Carolina Panthers
    16. Houston Texans
    17. Philadelphia Eagles
    18. Minnesota Vikings
    19. Cincinnati Bengals
    20. Cleveland Browns
    21. Kansas City Chiefs
    22. St. Louis Rams
    23. Seattle Seahawks
    24. Buffalo Bills
    25. Miami Dolphins
    26. San Francisco 49ers
    27. Jacksonville Jaguars
    28. Detroit Lions
    29. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    30. Arizona Cardinals
    31. Atlanta Falcons
    32. Oakland Raiders

https://blogs.emory.edu/sportsmarketing/2013/08/15/nfl-fan-equity-maybe-the-cowboys-are-america’s-team/
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    I call BS.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    Raiders are last hahaha
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. mando-charger

mando-charger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Yea I think that list is way way off.........oakland and philly fans are crazy diehard....hell pittsburg should be higher than 9th. Don't get me wrong I'm glad to see us on the good end of the spectrum but the whole list seems wrong.
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,573 / 42 / -25
    Obviously, at least one of those two Emory students is a Chargers fan. ;)
  6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    according to this I can walk right up and get season tickets for the Packers or the Redskins! I wonder if they factored in blackouts and blackout ticket extensions?
  7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,530 / 10 / -0
    I like the idea of what they did, without more insight into the actual analysis and numbers it'a hard to say for certain whether the breakdown was accurate or not (I wouldn't be surprised either way) but it's nice to see our fanbase get a little respect, I'll take it wherever I can get it ;)

Oakland being last gives this list immediate credibility tho :raiderssuck: :roflmao:
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    This list was about ticket revenue, so fans outside of a team's local fan base don't count. Teams like the Raiders, Pittsburgh and the Eagles have large national followings, but that may not be a reflection on how many local fans buy tickets to home games. The Raiders have had a very difficult time selling out since returning to Oakland, even on the few occasions when they weren't absolutely awful. It also seems like these guys base their figures on total attendance versus population, so teams with smaller stadiums, especially teams with smaller stadiums in large metropolitan areas, would also suffer.

This analysis doesn't seem to measure fan loyalty so much as which teams are like to generate ticket revenue even when they suck. The Raiders don't generate much ticket revenue when they are winning.

If anything, I think this list could be used as proof that Chargers games would be very heavily attended if a new stadium was built, regardless of on-field performance.
  9. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +161 / 2 / -1
    I forgot to mention, a different double-blind scientific study concluded that the Raiders suck.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings Received:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    I think the worst cumulative record in the NFL over the last 10 years does that for you automatically... :laugh:
  11. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +286 / 7 / -1
    I'm callin BS. As someone who lives in the heart of Cowboy Country, I see how fair-weather these fans are on a daily basis. Most of my friends are Cowboy fans, and I'd say maybe 5% of them are actually loyal. Then again, I'd also say that only 50% of them even know what a Corner Back is.
  12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,639 / 38 / -8
    But look outside of Cowboy Country, Dallas and Pittsburgh have perhaps the widest spread fan base and travel well... That factors in. It might still be BS, but even here in Menifee there are several fans of both of those teams.
  13. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +382 / 4 / -0
    Coincidentally, the two students from Emory University’s Sports Marketing Analytics program in Atlanta, aren't getting any.
    All probable kidding aside, I doubt that what they "measured" was actually loyalty...homerism maybe, but not loyalty...
  14. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,573 / 42 / -25
    [​IMG]
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings Received:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    Traditionally, "fair weather" fans tend to be more on the southern coastal states because there's just simply more outdoor recreational options to do when your team sucks. :unsure:
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,346 / 19 / -3
    If the Raiders are in last place there's at least some semblance of accuracy in their methodology
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 42 / -6
    Since I have never been a "fan" of any other pro football team or baseball team how could I not be considered a loyal Bolt backer? Sure, I've rooted for other AFL/AFC teams to win Super Bowls early on just to prove the AFL/AFC belonged and were every bit as good as the old NFL teams. Since 1970 I have never wanted another AFCW team win the Lombardi, I also include the Dolphoones as they are my most hated team of all. San Diego gets a bad rap because hell, who hasn't lived there or been there????
  18. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 22 / -1
    A ton of Raider fans are more fans of being Raider fans than they are of the Raiders.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +161 / 2 / -1
    Well said!
  20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 42 / -6
    Hmmm, A Raiduds fan, fan?????
  21. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68 / 3 / -1
    While watching Friday nights game I noticed a lot of sections of seats at the Oakland Alameda County Colosseum that were covered and out of availability for fans so I guess a lot of diehard fans must have died off for the raiders. Though seeing the Chargers rated higher than Packers blows up the credibility in this paper/study.
  22. newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Love San Diego the city after visiting twice, and regardless of our bad luck of history in the league, I will never change.
    I would love to call SD home one day and be a season ticket holder.
    Never changing my loyalty!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    Chargers fans are long-suffering, patient, and persevering......trust me, I've been one for 43 years and only seen one Super Bowl~~
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Regardless of the Packers fiasco, I love that we are appearing to be one of the most loyal fanbases of the AFCW. IMO KC fanbase is more loyal than Dal or Pit, the only diff with those 3 is that the majority of KC fans (lets say 85%) live in the state of MO. And they are well over the 60-70 loyal range. Its hard to find a fairweather KC fan, but it also is pretty easy to find a purely RAH RAH Chiefs fan that doesnt know the name of their RT or their second gunner.

Also as I have noticed over the years we Charger fans are quicly becoming a PIT or DAL fanbase when it comes to nationwide and thanks to a few on here world wide fanbase.

LETS FINISH THIS SEASON ABOVE .500!! GOO BOLTS!! GO FANS!!
  25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3

Only been on this crazy train since the 04-05 seasons. BUT I can attest that even us young 'uns have already seen some epic Highs and epic Lows. I still cant like Hoculi, and he was/is the best head official the NFL has had since I knew a Head Officials name. (granted I still dont know the name of my favorite Official currently)

But that isnt nuthin compared to how much I love/hate what happend to us vs the Bears in week 2 of 06. Im gonna remember the best part that PR the ROOK came right back out and did that whole delete recording mentality and went right back to work. Needless to say we won 14 to 3??? And was one of my favorite overcoming the odds moments in recent Chargers history.
  26. D4L

D4L BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    It isn't easy being a Chargers fan. We don't have any SB rings and we are constantly rebuilding or just being teased before we suck again. It's easy to be a fan of a team that wins or has won SB's. I don't think we should be that high on this list but I also think we do have a good loyal fan base that has endured way to much losing and mediocracy but here we are getting ready to do it all over again.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,639 / 38 / -8
    Is it really easy for teams that have won super bowls? Do you think the Raider fans are happy with their past glories and current futility? Dallas fans? Those moments of bright emotional highs bring future rocks of frustration. SF's fall from grace has been particularly hard on many of their fans. Having the ring is great but the feeling will not keep fans happy for ever.

Enjoy what you can each and every season. No memory will live with me like being in the stadium for the game LT broke the TD record. No ring that season, but man what a emotional filled moment.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +20 / 1 / -4
    I've been a loyal Charger fan since 1963. There have been some lean years, it's true, but there has been tremendous excitement over the years, great teams under Sid Gillman and Don Coryell, and it seems to me that in general there has been an effort to put winning teams on the field.

When it comes to the Padres, however, I have finally given up and now consider myself a Dodger fan. My patience does have its limits.
  29. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Im sorry, but were still not the KC chiefs. I got to hear year after year from my KC fan friend about how much "we suck again" and everyone needs to go etc... etc.

I am very proud that we have not or *to my will/knowledge* ever be a team that sucks again. I am excited for this year as the AFC is anybodys pony to saddle. Im not expecting more than a above .500 record, but I damn sure will be proud to watch my Bolts roll over as many opponents as we can this year and the *possible* post season.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings Received:
    +219 / 1 / -0
    I guess the real point here is that those of us in the San Diego area have plenty of other things that we could be doing instead of supporting the Chargers, and our "bolt brothers and sisters" who don't live here could easily throw their support behind the NFL "flavor of the month" so they can wear the gear of a team with a more impressive playoff record like many people do...but we don't! For whatever reason we have gotten behind this team and stayed loyal through thick and thin. Believe me, I know....I paid to sit through a 1 and 15 season! Am I happy with all of the moves, or non-moves, of course not. Do I get tired of hearing crap from my idiot Steeler fan co-worker, hell yes! But I am a Chargers fan, if they are playing I am watching and if it is at the Murph...ur...um...the "Q" I am there in my jersey yelling my damn fool head off!!! (...when the defense is on the field, of course) I am ready, willing and able to be loud and proud Monday night!!

This is my city, and this is my team! Go Chargers!!!
    • Like Like x 4