1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers GM discontinues offseason talk

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It has been a rite of spring (or late winter) for six years, but it will be no more.
    Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith since his first offseason has given an annual address to the media shortly before the start of each new league year. It was a sort of “State of the Chargers,” closing the book on the previous season and beginning to look forward.
    While the news conferences were sometimes light on news, they gave insight to Smith’s thought process in building the team and its current status. Many fans looked forward to the address, and the media anticipated his revealing of offseason surgeries and which players would be released.
    But Smith said yesterday that he decided recently the practice is not widely appreciated and will therefore cease.
    “I’ve done six of them,” he said. “After the first two years, the feedback we got was real good. Maybe it was the novelty of them early on. But the last four, not so good on the feedback, especially last year. …
    “The feeling was that it was really a waste of time, and I really did not have much to say that was worthwhile. The last thing I want to do is bring all the media to Chargers Park, bore and inconvenience everyone.”
    Smith said the parts of the news conference he and Public Relations Director Bill Johnston did got positive feedback on “the injury status of players, postseason surgeries and also players who will not be with the team and all the players that will be tendered.”
    Smith will essentially give the same information to the media, but in individual meetings.
    “I’ve decided to be available at the media’s convenience,” Smith said. “One thing I learned for sure over the last four years was most people were not interested in my year-in-review comments and my upcoming season preview. So that, we will all do without.”
    Smith would not discuss any team business, deferring that until closer to the new league year, which officially begins at 9:01 p.m. March 4.
    The Chargers’ operations staff has begun meeting to evaluate the 2009 team and look toward ’10. Smith, Vice President Ed McGuire, the scouts and coaches will leave early next week for the scouting combine in Indianapolis, where the lead up to April’s draft begins in earnest.

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    WTF AJ? Maybe the fans want to hear you say nothing. Screw the media.