1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers in the AFL Hall of Fame!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    Here is a great link for some of the younger Chargers fans that shows some of the great history this storied franchise has had. I definately recommend checking this site out.

http://www.conigliofamily.com/Chargers.htm

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Every young poster, IMHO, should read this thread. The Chargers DID NOT begin with the Air Coryell years...Don Coryell was busy forming a small college powerhouse at SDSU when Sid Gillman was working his magic for the AFL Chargers.

It's difficult to convey the feeling as a young teen ager gointa Balboa Stadium to watch the Chargers play. I recall the smell of eucalyptus down there...having a pass that I could get in free if accompanied by an adult. Me and my buddies would wait by the gate and axt adults if we could go in with; never a prob.

In the beginning there was no fence around the playing field, so after the game, we could go on the field and mingle with the players...jes like we saw on TV from places like Yankee Stadium and Green Bay. Hell, they were still fixin the stadium up during the 1st few exhibiton games (thats what pre-season games were called back then), especially construction around the seats!! Y'all gotta remeber that this relic was really the high school field of San Duego High School!!.

The acquisition of Lance Alworth brough instant credibilty to the franchise and the league...added to Paul Lowe, Keith Lincoln, Tobin Rote and Dave Kocouric, the Chargers presented a formidable offense. Throw in Ron Mix, who was clearly the class of the league as an OL, and the Bolts could score from anywhere on the field!!!

The Fearsome Foursome crew was great!! Prolly the best among them was Earl Faison...Ernie Ladd was huge for that time period...over 300 lbs, and cat quick; hence the moniker "Big Cat"!!

Learn, young Bolt fans, of the Chargers' storied legacy...y'all won't be sorry!!

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -0
    That's a great read for all Charger fans. I enjoy watching the old films on Sid Gillman's teams, and defintely think that Alworth is the best WR ever. But man, I never knew that fact about "The Fearsome Foursome". That would be a great trivia question.

• Like Like x 1