1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers kick the tires on Justice

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 13, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,876 / 48 / -26
    Is there no justice in the world? ;)

Report: Winston Justice visiting Chargers
    Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 13, 2013, 2:12 PM EDT
    The Chargers’ post-draft due diligence on veteran left tackles continues.
    According to Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune, the club will host free agent Winston Justice.
    Justice (6-6, 317) started 12 games at right tackle in the 2012 regular season. In San Diego, he would provide an insurance policy behind rookie D.J. Fluker, whom the club sees as a right tackle.
    Considering how he has been used in the past, the 29-year-old Justice wouldn’t appear to be an option on the left side; all but one of his 43 regular-season NFL starts have been at right tackle. In his lone career start at left tackle, the Eagles surrendered 12 sacks in a loss at the Giants in 2007, and Justice had big problems stopping Osi Umenyiora.
    The Chargers’ willingness to research Justice makes sense. The club could stand to continue to bolster its tackle depth, and Chargers GM Tom Telesco was a member of the Colts’ front office when Indianapolis acquired Justice from Philadelphia in March 2012.
    The Chargers hosted veteran left tackle Max Starks last week, but no agreement was reached.

2. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,876 / 48 / -26
    Did it need it's own thread?....... perhaps not, but Justice seems to draw strong reactions from some fans around here. ;)

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +419 / 7 / -1
    OMG no. I remember that Giants game like it was yesterday. He was a complete embarassment that day and he has not improved all that much. No thanks. Do not bring this guy in.

4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128 / 2 / -0
    Its the offseason, so sure it should have its own thread. I just can't believe that the Max Starks news didn't get its own thread. Maybe people were just burned out after McKinnie.

Meh is my answer either way on Justice.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,876 / 48 / -26
    I see Justice as RT depth, not the answer to the LT position. Do we really have anybody to backup Fluker right now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +409 / 8 / -0
    Clary?

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,876 / 48 / -26
    Nope, he's a guard now...... or hadn't you heard? ;)

Gilchrist, Clary work with starters at new spots

Marcus Gilchrist has been taking reps at strong safety this offseason.

The experiment didn't slow Monday at organized team activities.

The Chargers defensive back worked with the starters opposite Eric Weddle during the first day of OTAs. Gilchrist, who played some safety at Clemson, primarily has been a cornerback since being drafted in 2011.

In three of four spots, San Diego's secondary could have a new starter.

Derek Cox replaces free agent Quentin Jammer at left corner. Shareece Wright worked with the ones Monday on the right side, a spot vacated by Cardinals cornerback Antoine Cason. And then there's Gilchrist, replacing free agent Atari Bigby.

"From a young age, my dad always told me if you're going to play DB, you should play any position," Gilchrist, 24, said. "I've always looked at it from that aspect, being able to be versatile enough to play corner, nickel and safety."

In terms of offseason turnover, the Chargers' offensive line is the only position group that rivals the secondary.

Ex-right tackle Jeromey Clary worked with the starters Monday at right guard. King Dunlap was at left tackle, Chad Rinehart was at left guard and rookie D.J. Fluker played right tackle, leaving center Nick Hardwick as the only Chargers offensive lineman returning to the position in which he started last year.

Here in May, most spots on the depth chart are subject to change. That applies to the line's left side.
    The Chargers could add a free agent tackle, moving the versatile Dunlap into a reserve role. Left guard Johnnie Troutman, a 2012 fifth-round pick, worked with the second-team offense Monday and, despite not having Rinehart's experience or familiarity with line coach Joe D'Alessandris, could push for a spot in training camp.

Nuts 'n' Bolts

• Strong safety Brandon Taylor has yet to begin practicing, instead working to the side. He had surgery in January to repair a torn ACL.

• Inside linebacker D.J. Smith, formerly of the Packers, also is coming off an ACL surgery. He and Taylor's availability for the July start of training camp is in question.

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I still hate the idea of Clary being on the team making the money he does. He is still making a ton of money (almost as much as Levitre and Vasquez) which I don't think or believe even if he improves he would be considered a top OG. Hopefully if they keep him at RG it's because he truly is the best one at the spot and not because they like his attitude. I still wish he'd take a pay cut though.

I also think its funny, last year when we were talking about Mark Barron and Harrison Smith, Me and a couple others were pounding the table to see Gichrist at the SS position where personally I thought would be the best spot for him. Sure enough a new set of eyes come in and think the same thing.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,876 / 48 / -26
    I don't begrudge players making money, the NFL is a tough gig, and only a few people can make it. Clary has done whatever the team has asked him to, so if he works at at guard, then fine. As long as he plays well, I have no beef with him.

Well, if Taylor was healthy, I don't know if those "fresh eyes" would be so eager to move Gilchrist to safety..... it's more a matter of short-term necessity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I don't care if players make a lot of money if they truly deserve it. Clary IMO didn't and still doesn't. He was a starting RT for so many years by default because there was nobody brought in to compete with him. If he were somebody else's problem I'm sure he wouldn't have been for long (can do attitude and all)

The issue I have about a player with Clary's low talent level making that much money, is it takes money we can use on more talented, deserving players in the future. Leaving us sitting here with our fingers up our nose and our pricks in our hands saying "Man, I wish we had more CAP room to re sign him"

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    Might be the only player I can think of that is WORSE than King Dunlap. Pass

12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,876 / 48 / -26
    I still say Clary is worth the money more than guys who are hardly ever on the field. English got paid 1st round money, and he's done squat in his time here. And he's not the only one getting well paid for not doing anything.

At least, Clary has been a durable guy who plays hurt and gives his best effort (yes, he's limited athletically, but there's not much he can do about that).

14. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    I don't know if I like Gilchrist at SS. I mean, I guess if he's the only viable option, with Stuckey not showing improvement and Taylor being held back by injury. That just creates more lack of depth at CB. Cox and Wright have been injured the past few seasons.

Winston Justice I don't understand. I like that we're looking at ROT insurance, but do that after we sign a LOT for insurance.

15. Devo

Devo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I think Justice is RT only.
    That bad game against Osi and the Giants was at LT, I think?

Backup to Fluker would probably be Harris. He was horrible last year at LT, but he only played RT at UCLA.
    Not saying he's a great option, just that he is AN option.

Also have UDFAs Becton and Randy Richards.

So, basically, pretty thin for depth on the tackle situation.

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +419 / 7 / -1
    Yeah I agree with this. Mike Harris might end up being a proper backup RT. For me Justice is a serious weak link along an O line. That UDFA Becton is another that people are high on and there is Haslam also. If we need to bring in anyone it is a LT like Starks.

As for Clary he sure might be asked to consider a pay cut now that he is being tried at Guard. Of course it's v early days in that regard i.e. he might be as bad a Guard as he was a Tackle. But like a few others here, I'd like to see some other guys show the attitude he brings to work.

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,439 / 36 / -16
    Ouch! Pretty rough on the King.

But isn't it better to have him, and not need him, then to need him and not have him?

King Dunlap.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Don't worry guys, Starks is in AZ taking a physical right now, he'll likely get signed, and we will have no choice but to play Dunlap at LT.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +419 / 7 / -1
    I know the above is a bit tongue in cheek but hasn't Starks taken a physical at every stop this last while?, I'd much prefer Starks over what's left out there.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,876 / 48 / -26
    Well, he does have a home in Scottsdale.

21. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    I don't understand your panicking. So what he took a physical?

McKinnie took a physical in Miami and San Diego. Neither signed him. Starks has had his injuries, they most likely want to make sure he is medically cleared before they go ahead with details with him.

22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Did I say I was panicking? Do I dislike the fact that we may lose out in signing Starks? yes, but am I panicking? no.

But it would only be fitting, to see AZ of all the teams sign one of the last capable LT's left on the market.

McKinnie was a different story, he wanted to stay in Baltimore, he used his visits as leverage. Where as Starks (based off what he said in interviews) will probably be a little more desperate and end up taking the first offer thrown his way. He already stated he would probably accept any offer the Chargers or any team offers, if it were remotely close to what he feels is reasonable.

23. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    lol, yep and then to have another body at LT along side Cooper, that OLine looks much better.

24. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1