1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Mock Draft 1.0

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by szarmes, Feb 7, 2010.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    We lost the 6th to the texans
    That's an interesting draft, though I wonder about drafting another OLB unless we lose Merriman. Hughes is pretty talented though and he could be a good partner with English/Phillips. Don't think we can get Matthews in the second but that'd be awesome, same with Carrington (who seems to be rising like crazy). I don't suppose we just stick with Kris Wilson over Manu?

You went to a school where the mascot was a jackrabbit? Well that makes me feel better about being an anteater :lol::lol::lol:

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    Can't we can get the 6th back in compensation for Olshansky though? Maybe even a 4th or 5th depending on how much the contract was for.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    From Mr. Hairdo

28. San Diego Chargers

Record: 13-3
    Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama

As I explained earlier this week, I expect to see Cody's stock rise because he may be the purest example in this draft of a guy who, limitations aside, specifically fits a scheme. Cody is the prototype block-occupying clogger in a 3-4 scheme. You can question his weight or his versatility, but he can make other players better. Remember, Jamal Williams' injury is a factor here.

I was a big cody fan, he's been beaten up from one end to the other by everybody (and rightfully so btw). And yet with all that said, we take him in the first round. WTF?

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21

Nonsense. At best we consider Cody with our late 2nd round pick, and even then I might take Cam Thomas from UNC over him.

Not only is he rockin the flabby man boobs look, he's got terrible stamina, questionable work ethic off the field, an inconsistant motor on the field, and bad balance he gets turned around way to easily for a guy his size.

5. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    :tup: agreed

6. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    My last mock draft before the combine:

shoot me... Health class is watching supersize me, and I'm bored this morning.

Used the pre-draft round projections at CBS Sports NFL Draft Scout
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

1. Dwyer RB Georgia Tech
    (under the assumption that DT/RB are biggest needs, and Dan Williams won't be there, and Cody is too big of a risk)

2. Cam Thomas DT North Carolina
    (assuming he lasts to us, CBS has him listed as round 2-3, if he's not there this changes things, of course)

3. Andre Roberts WR Citadel
    (this is assuming that Floyd is gone and we can get better value at C later in the draft)

4. Myron Lewis CB Vanderbilt
    (AJ loves drafting defensive backs and with Cro likely being traded...I can see this guy brought in to battle with Hughes for the nickel role. AJ loves players from the SEC, especially in the 2nd half of the draft.)

5. Eric Olsen C Notre Dame
    (played real well at the Senior Bowl)

6th to Texans for TJ

7th Danny Batten DE/OLB South Dakota State
    (played so well at Texas vs the nation game, they moved him around to OLB, and MLB... and yeah, a total homer pick I know...sue me.)

This draft is assuming we keep Merriman, Sproles, McNeill, and VJ.

I really wanted to get a TE in there for Manu, and wanted to get a little D-line help, outside of Thomas, but this is what it is. The three best Centers (Pouncey, Walton, and Tennant will probably be gone by our 3rd round pick), but if one was there, I'd do that in a New York minute.)

7. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    this is what id like to see, since the chargers are shopping cromartie around i say trade him to the vikings for a 2nd and a 6th round pick so we could get this draft
    1st:Dan williams, tenesee
    2nd: kyle wilson,boise state
    2nd; ryan matthew fresno state
    3rd: ciron black,lsu
    4th: toby gerhart, stanford
    5th: jordan shipley,texas
    6th: rodrick muckelroy, texas
    7th: fredy barnes,syracuse

with hope that barnes will far that far,i say if darren sproles is leaveing we need to get something for him. if we could id like to give him to the dolphins only if the dolphins gave up another 3rd pick tehn we could add dexster mccluster to the list, also release jacob hester or ge rid of him put gerhart at fb mattews at rb, and mccluster 2nd string rb, to give us a backfield kinda like the LT sproles, and lo neal days who likes the idea

8. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    I would love it if this happened! Except I don' think we'll get two picks for Cro...

9. charger1993

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    i think we could get two picks for cro, if we cant i say trade them cro and hester for the pics, i personally like tolbert over hester so hester can go n so can cro, but i also would love to get dexster mcculster to replace sproles

10. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    im starting to think that sproles is going to stay so we could use that pick on george selvie, SFU

11. charger1993

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    i really want sproles to stay, but hes gonna want around 7 million for a rb thats not every down, but if he does stay id like to a de in clifton gathers

12. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    I'm sure he'll be willing to a long-term deal. If not then we lose one of our best players... Darren Sproles, if you just so happen to read this then pleas don't go

13. charger1993

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2

yes darren if your reading dont leave, we need you, youre a playmaker if you leave the chemistry of this team will change, your a great player, but if u decide to leave help the chargers get a pick for u atleast

14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    thought i'd pass on this last pre-combine mock
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/02/25/mock-draft-3/index.html

28. Jahvid Best RB California
    The Chargers are shopping for running backs, and not just one. With LaDainian Tomlinson gone and Darren Sproles not seen as lead-back material, San Diego will be looking long and hard at Best, the ex-Cal Bear. Best is a home run hitter who can make people miss, but his health issues make this week's medical check-up pivotal. Jonathan Dwyer of Georgia Tech and Ryan Mathews of Fresno State are the other running back names to know here.

While I really really wanna see a clean bill of health from him I think there could be some potential in this, especially if sproles leaves (which is likely)

1. Best, RB California
    2. Veldheer OT Hillsdale/Alaalu DE California
    3. Gerhardt RB Stanford
    4. Cody NT Alabama (I think this is going to happen, I think he's going to drop big time)

15. charger1993

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    the only problem i have with best or spiller is they remind me of reggie bush i want a guy who can run between tackles with speed, give m ryan matthews

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    Jahvid Best will never be a full load back in this league. He's Sproles + major injury concerns. He has to be 2nd to a guy like Mathews, Dwyer, Gerhart, Hardesty...etc ...not worth a 1st.

17. charger1993

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
  18. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -0
    Ya this is pretty much what I was getting ready to say in a nutshell.

His measurables and injury concerns should be enough for AJ to pass on him. Norv's singleback set's will require someone more along the lines of a Dwyer, Matthews, or Gerhart.

19. charger1993

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    yea id be fine with either matthews or dwyer, id prefer matthews, because he reminds me of lt how lt use to run, but since sproles is gone now i would like to see either gehart,blount,or hardesty with matthews or dwyer,

20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    A dwyer matthews or gerhart would also be best when offset by someone with a different skill set. We do need that power back who can sledgehammer is between the tackles but we also need some sort of slasher who has great speed.

While I agree with the above that Best might not be a first rounder, he has a set of skills that if you combined with a dwyer or a gerhart especially, you could have a devastating running back combo

21. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    Either Best, McKnight or McCluster would be good to pair with one of them

22. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -0
    Because of those skill sets, Best will probably be gone by our pick in the second unless something catastrophic happens...and in that case I wouldn't want him. McKnight is starting to move up peoples draft boards and may be gone as well. And McCluster is smaller than Sproles (weight) and has less tackle breaking ability.

Everything we do at RB right now stems from what we get from Cromartie. If we trade him for picks will draft 2 RB's. If we trade him for a feature back then we will draft a Sproles replacement.

For instance, if we get a Brandon Jacobs, or Ahmad Bradshaw both are being shopped, for Cromartie then you will see us possibly take a guy like Mcknight or Best.

Just keep an eye out here in the next week for something big to happen with moving Cromartie.

23. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    If we do get Jacobs then I would love for Best/McKnight to become a charger.. But IMO we will only get picks for Cro.

24. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -0
    I agree, however they are actively shopping both to get secondary help. If you look at FA right now there aren't many good DB's knocking down there door. In that case someone who is desperate for this position and wants a veteran might overpay to get him.

I would love to see NYG #15 & Brandon Jacobs for SD # 28 and Antonio Cromartie. Wishful thinking as NYG would be foolish to do something like that...But hey atleast we can hope for it I guess.

25. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    If that were the case we could possibly get Spiller but thats really going out on a limb. I would say that we get a high second for Cro and use that pick to replace him

26. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -0
    My guess is, that if we end up just getting picks for him and it is a high second, you may see a couple of different scenario's with the first two picks.

Dwyer or Mathews/ Kyle Wilson
    Patrick Robinson/Mathews or Dwyer
    Dwyer or Mathews/ Jerry Hughes

27. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    Mathews/ Kyle Wilson would be best possible scenario IMO.

28. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -0
    lol, you see I am a bit different. I think the best possible scenario would be....

Robinson/Dwyer or Matthews.....

I have Robinson as of right now graded just a bit higher than Kyle Wilson, and the #2 CB on my board right now. We will see what happens at the combine.

I was sold on Robinson watching him this year, and studying his film. That guy has some serious talent, and he is a great tackler. I can see him being another possible Darrell Revis type of CB.

He plays bigger than he is, has crazy speed...May be the best tackler amongst the CB's...yes better than Haden and probably will be close to the fastest, if what he did in the Gator Bowl was an indication of his speed.

29. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    Yea but have you seen Kyle Wilson's RV?

http://media.idahostatesman.com/sme...e-wilsonbus1.standalone.prod_affiliate.36.jpg

Wilson has 49 more tackles and 4 more picks than Robinson and he can also return punts.. Either one would be an improvement over cromartie though so i'd be happy with either. Im sold on Wilson for his RV:tup:

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    ***Assuming we trade Phillips and Cro for a 3rd each****

1. Jared Odrick (DE)
    2. Cam Thomas (NT)
    3a. Brandon Spikes (ILB)
    3b. Lagarette Blount (RB)
    3c. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (CB/KR)
    4. Sam Young (OT)
    5. Antonio Coleman (OLB)