1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers nfl 2013 mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Dec 16, 2012.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    in this draft i have us trading back to aquire more picks. With the bucs, acquiring their 1st and second. i have us trading back because we hve to rebuild, and i believe we will trade with some one
    1. Jonathan Banks CB Miss State
    2. Eric Fisher OT Central michigan
    2. Nico Johnson ILB Alabama
    3.Kyle long OT Oregon
    4. Kenjon Barner RB Oregon
    5. Tyrann MAthieu CB, Lsu
    6. Anthony White DT, Michigan state
    7. Larry webster DE, Bloomsburg
  2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Tyrann Mathieu won't make it to the 5th. Someone will take a flyer on him in the 3rd or 4th.
  3. BoltsFanTX

BoltsFanTX BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    Gonna sound crazy, but I think we need Barkley
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Doubt it. I'd say he's got a better chance of being a priority UDFA candidate than going prior to Day 3. Yes, there are some teams that could give a rat's rear end about character, but there are A LOT (a lot more than I think most folks are even aware of) that won't have him on their draft boards at all because he's had multiple character/criminal issues in less than two years (and one after already getting kicked off of a major D1 program). Then you throw in that he doesn't have desirable size and his tackle and pure coverage skills were never anything to write home about to begin with, and actual NFL front offices just plain don't rate undersized maybe-safeties that happen to have INT totals terribly high.
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    I'd be fine with taking a very late flyer on Matthieu because why the heck not? If he's available in the 7th unless there's a better sleeper it wouldn't hurt to give him a shot. Rest of the draft looks real good but I'd try to grab at least a guard somewhere too.
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Isn't Kyle Long a guard?
  7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I'll agree that there aren't many candidates out there to draft him at all, but doesn't he just have 4th round, Bengals, written all over him?
  8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    I'd go Le'veon Bell (RB Mich St) in the 4th. Dude is going to truck people. And he can block and catch the ball. We need smashmouth power imo.
  9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Pretty sure he's a tackle.. and a real good one..
  10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Not so much. If anything I'd peg the Rams as the team to have interest, but Fisher will wait until he thinks he can buy at the lowest possible before cashing in. The Bengals really haven't drafted a "character issue" guy in 3-4 years, they just carried that stigma for a while.
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Left Tackle, I'm not even sure he projects terribly great as an RT. He's the athletic, former TE type with great feet and long arms. He's a possibility as a project pulling-LG, but if he's got the ceiling as a solid-to-above-average LT why move him to guard before finding out if he can make it as the more premium position first?
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    He also looks like he's running in sand half the time. When I see him I think of TJ Duckett.
  13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    If a guy can block well, catch passes, is 240+ AND has burst, he's going far before the 4th round.
    There will be drawbacks (perceived or real) to any 4th round pick.
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    I'd be fine with him in the 4th if we didn't have so many other needs. The 2nd round talk is just silly.
  15. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    For Bell or for us grabbing a RB then? Likely both.
    Yeah, agree on the Bolts--there isn't a RB in the draft that justifies a 2nd round pick given needs on OL and in secondary. But it's worth a mid-round shot at a guy who keeps moving his legs and doesn't mind punching guys in the mouth.
  16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    If you want a RB who will produce comparably to what Bell will but you can get a minimum of 2 rounds later (and still have a back that can block, catch, finish runs with power, and has enough get-up-and-go to break some long runs), just sit back and wait on UCF's Latavius Murray in the 5th, 6th, or 7th round. The guy is a poor man's Arian Foster (or slightly slower Steven Jackson) in terms of running style.
  17. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I'd like to see..

1. OL
    2. OLB
    3. OL
    4. RB
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. OL

Bu then again, this is like the 4th time I've made something like this..
  18. MrNafta

MrNafta BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Howie Long's son? The one who tried to get a medical redshirt extension due to medical hardship aka rehab. The NFL loves bloodlines, but substance abuse problems like his are not easily overcome.
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Bloodlines are actually horribly overrated by fans in terms of their "value" to scouts. Just because your father/uncle/grandfather/mother's-cousin's-mister-twice-removed was an NFL player means you have a decent case for having good genes, but that's assuming you share the same traits and didn't trend toward the other parent. It doesn't automatically make you the football player on par with your relation.
  20. MrNafta

MrNafta BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I don't get why so many fans want us to draft an OG. We have had OG's playing OT for us for far too long. If you move the OT's we've had to OG where they should of been all along we'd be okay. Examples, Clary should of never of played RT, he's more suited to play RG if we don't resign Vasquez. Dumbo should of been moved into to LG when he was healthy. Mike Harris played RT in college and was projected to be a OG in the NFL. Harris should not be playing LT, he should be playing RT/G. Same with Haslam.

We need to draft some true NFL caliber OT's, and stop forcing OG's to play tackle for us, it's getting Rivers killed out there. Green shouldn't even be playing guard, he should of been practicing to be our backup Center. Then we would have Molk/Green in place when Hardwick retires. Instead we keep signing Schilling when we get injuries.
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Green can't play center to save his life. We tried, he failed. He can't snap the ball and get up into position where he gets his hands and the defender and leverage in proper time.

I agree that we need to stop playing players more fit to play guard on the perimeter, but I don't agree that that should preclude us from passing on players in the middle rounds with considerably higher ceilings as interior line players than the ones we have. There have been several teams in the league of late that have survived middling tackles because they had top-notch guard play - in fact entire systems have been designed around this concept because guards were easier to obtain at a less-premium price than tackles were.

Jeromey Clary shouldn't be starting for this team in any capacity. Vasquez is really the only salvageable guard we have at this point, Troutman as of yet unseen, and Schilling never being much to write home about even in the instances he has seen time at guard. Green doesn't have the aggression and mentality to pull as a guard at this level; he's a wall-off blocker which unfortunately doesn't translate particularly well to playing LG in most systems.
  22. MrNafta

MrNafta BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well we are on the hook for Clary's contract, cap hit is too much to cut him, same with Gaither, Green and Vasquez are both FA. If we don't sign Vasquez or Green then we would be in the market for another OG, but if we don't draft one we can move players around. I just don't see it as a top need with our OT/CB situation, us still not having a SS solution, and needing another OLB. RB is a bigger need than OG imo. Can't see us going OG before the 5th.
  23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    A good OG makes a mediocre RB look considerably better. Going a bit to the polar end of the argument here, take for example Steve Hutchinson and Shaun Alexander. Alexander, in and of himself, was a very good RB, but running behind Hutchinson made him the best in the league for several years.

I'm not saying I see us drafting on in the 1st or 2nd, nor would I advocate drafting one there that wasn't being envisioned as a center (the only interior OL position you spend early picks on, IMHO, unless you have the luxury of making luxury picks - which we don't). I'm actually not entirely opposed to moving Clary inside to RG (God knows he tries to block Vasquez's assignment more often than his own anyway!), but I refuse to accept he should be gifted a starting position there as he has been at RT the past several seasons. Good teams sit the overpaid vets when those overpaid vets are outperformed by someone previously lower on the depth chart (note Green Bay now electing to sit recently-inked Jeff Saturday in favor of Evan Dietrich-Smith due to Saturday getting abused in the middle).

The money rounds for guards are typically the 3rd through the 5th anyway. Plenty of quality guards have been drafted in the 5th round. And I would contend that if Hardwick retires, as I suspect this season may have beaten the last ounce of fighting spirit out of him, there's absolutely no guarantee that the team feels tied to starting a 7th-round, sophomore player or terribly confident doing so. So we could see an interior lineman come off the board sooner than the 5th for us, though center might be one of those positions we see looked to in free agency pretty heavily, particularly since some free agents centers are capable of doubling-up at at least one of the other two interior spots on the line.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    It amazes me how few people grasp the bold