1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Now Actively Trying To Sell Tickets To Chiefs Fans

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Jul 6, 2012.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Totally agree.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 29 / -2
    I got by almost relying solely on the San Diego public transportation system for 6 years.

It pales in comparison to New York's of course (and I'm sure others are better) but it's probably the best public transportation system in a city I've ever lived in.

You just can't rely on it if you have to be somewhere super late/early because it shuts down (unlike NY).

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Or if you don't work near by. i use to live in SDSU and worked in Sorrento Valley. It would have taken me 1 hour 20 mins to get to work based on MTS's website. Instead, I could drive to work in 20 mins

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 29 / -2
    Well, yeah, you don't want to be relying on it if you're having to regularly commute to the northern parts of the city/county. Or even the further east portions. Good luck getting to the eastern parts of Chula Vista really. (Which is why I was fearing a stadium move to there)

I guess I should have included how widespread the coverage is as well when critiquing it.

I was lucky because everywhere I really needed/wanted to go was conveniently located downtown, the inward portions of Chula Vista, North Island, Mission Valley, Qualcomm, and Imperial Beach. All areas with a lot of MTS coverage where it only gets a little inconvenient if you have to travel late at night.

The rare occasions I had to go further it was generally for things I didn't really mind the longer commute times in because they were rare events.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 19 / -4
    I get the feeling this is penny wise but pound foolish; yes you are marketing the city and team to those who don't come to San Diego initially, and yes those people come to town and spend lots of money. But let's consider that our team is now marketing tickets to our rivals; this isn't like them marketing to teams with big traveling fan bases like the Cowboys or the Packers or the Steelers, but now we are advertising it to our RIVALS? We are suggesting to the teams we play the most that it would be a great idea for you all to come down and drown us out in our own stadium? If that actually happens (a'la some recent raider games) then that's life and you can't do much about it. I had a hard time blaming Charger fans for not wanting to go to a Raider game when you run the risk of being attacked, beaten up, stabbed or worse by idiots out on parole. But when your own team is actually promoting to opposing fan bases to come take over our stadium, I feel like it sends the worst possible signal to your own fan base.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 29 / -2
    Also, if you have a car it's always a faster, more convenient option if you live somewhere not called New York City. So that's not really a fair comparison. I wonder if it would be cheaper on you to travel by MTS even if it means leaving sooner than you'd like since the argument is, afterall, affordability of transportation (not commute times).

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,752 / 39 / -8
    That could be. But if I was a PR guy, and I am not, I would not respond to all negative press becuse that is a dark hole you cant get out of. If you respond to it, you validate it.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Nor would I and nor am I, but I sure as hell wouldn't just sit back and let my teams ownership/management get turned on by the fans and just sit by doing nothing

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 29 / -2
    But aren't they getting turned on because of performance?

What exactly can the PR group do that wouldn't just be spurned by these fans as homerific nonsense?

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    And there are plenty of other teams who have performed worse than us and have not had their fans turn on them like our have. IMO, that is because they have better PR staffs that haven't allowed the negative talk to gain so much steam that the fans turn on them

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,752 / 39 / -8
    That is my point. I dont see them as doing nothing. They are advertising, putting the word out and doing what they can. I dont see what more they can be doing other than cutting prices.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    IMO, they need to do more than throw up a few commercials. They need to get ownership and management on the TV and on the radio. They don't need to address the negative stuff, but they need to present AJ and Norv to the fans so that maybe the fans that have opinions of them, will possibly realize they are wrong.

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +829 / 22 / -1
    It's my opinion that this is WAY blown out of proportion. If I had to guess, the message board had a road trip as some point and bought group tickets. Because of that they are on the Chargers mailing list. The Chiefs board gets a letter or e-mail and makes a big deal out of if, completely misrepresenting what actually happened because they get to make San Diego look bad. I took a group to Dodgers Stadium once and I still get stuff addressed to the "Big Bear Group" since that's how I bought the tickets.

I could be wrong, but I bet that's what happened. Of course after making a huge deal out of it, if that is what happened the KC board won't admit it.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,752 / 39 / -8
    They have been. Hell they even came on one of the pod casts (a few seasons ago) and talked to BoltTalk. AJ Smith has been on the radio, they are on SD TV. The only thing they havent done is go on hard knocks...

The fans are fickle and their opinion changes with the W/L column.

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I podcast every interview on 1090, except Hacksaw, and have hear one interview with AJ since the press conference where they said he would be available to the media more. So apparently, I must have missed where he has been out with the media. Same goes for Dean and I have only heard one or 2 from Norv where he did his image no favors.

So sorry if I don't agree with you that "They have been"

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I don't agree. A couple years ago when the team was seen as a legit SB contender and they didn't have any issues selling tickets, they wouldn't even sell tickets to people outside Southern California. The team dropped to a point where they aren't even viewed as a division contender to some fans, and now they are pandering to the opposing teams fan.

Now I see this team as not only a division contender, but I really like this team and think they have a shot at the SB, and if that happens, the view by the fan base will change. The team just needs to get back to being exciting and winning where fans are excited for the type of mid-day parties/rallies that radio stations were putting on at down town bars in 06 and the team won't have any issues with ticket sales, getting a stadium vote won't be an issue, and won't have to care about the image of their coach or GM. But they need to win if they want that back

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,752 / 39 / -8
    Disagree, that is OK with me.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 29 / -2
    Would a better PR staff insure that you do not parade around here with a big red circle crossing out a member of the front office staff?

I mean, it seems to me you're an example of a fan "turning on" the team.

And I know having a bad opinion of AJ doesn't make you not a fan, that's not the argument I'm trying to make (even though it sounds like it). It just seems that you're blaming the PR staff on everyone having a fouled opinion on how the team is ran. Yet, here you are as one of those people.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Nope, but maybe they would not allow the public opinion of him to get to the point where people dislike him enough to do it. That is what PR staffs are paid to do. And no, I don't turn on the team, but I have turned on AJ and I am someone who use to have the "In AJ I trust" bumper sticker on the wall of my office.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    They need arses in the seats so it's sell, sell sell. I may be in the minority, but, I really like AJ's way of running the ship. The buck and BS have to stop somewhere and AJ is the front man trying to build a winning franchise of championship caliber. Bring home the hardware and Charger fans will fill the Murph, we've only been waiting since 1963 (AFL championship) but the Lombardi will cement the deal and the arses will follow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 29 / -2
    But you have yet to tell me how they're supposed to accomplish this in the face of on-field results.

Most people I know who hate AJ and/or Norv, yourself included, do so because of poor drafting, flopping in the playoffs, AJ's "ego", slow starts, lack of talent, and losing games.

The only thing on that list the PR team can possibly have any amount of control over is maybe the public perception of AJ's ego.

So either I'm missing something or you're pinning a lot of value on the connection between public perception of the GM's character and how positively or negatively they view the team as a whole.

22. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I have no problem with the team marketing to opposing fans.

I also think the article is wrong about the NFL network game not being subject to blackout.

found this on wikipedia:
    If the blacked-out nationally televised game is on a cable television network such as ESPN or the NFL Network, all cable and satellite television providers in the affected markets must black out the cable network's signal to customers in the affected markets during the game (this is a condition of the channels' agreements with both the league and the providers). In addition, the game is not simulcast on a local broadcast station in the blacked-out markets. Local stations would still be able to show highlights on their newscasts after the game has concluded. In areas where the game is blacked out, ESPN and the NFL Network would generally offer alternate programming (ESPN traditionally switches to a simulcast of ESPNews); local stations originally scheduled to carry the game would either show their own alternate programming or, if a network affiliate, show the normal network schedule for that night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +829 / 22 / -1
    Guys are holding out all over the place, teams are taking a hard line. I don't hear anybody whining about those GM's egos. It's something that got repeated a lot at some point, and everyone who tries to sound like they know something latches onto it. By and large people are idiots, so their perception will likely not change.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 3 / -0
    I love my Chargers team to death but management has so dropped the ball I will no longer attend games at $1500.00 per season I'll still support the bolts but not mismanagement

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,752 / 39 / -8
    The more I think about this the more I think it is pure genius!

Put out the word your selling to the enemy, and then have the home team fans buy up the tickets to block the arrow head crowd...

Pure... Genius!

26. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    I was hoping for the Raleigh connection due to River's status with the club and his Alma mater, you know, nothing to enticing, free airfare and 50% off tickets. I'd a had to seriously consider that deal, okay where do I sign?

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Will any ACC affiliation work? :D

28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    Why not, they're just trying to fill the empty spaces with arses and faces?

29. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 3 / -0
    After thinking it over I don't care who buys tix as long as I get to watch it on TV:D

30. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    Well they wont sell any to me. And I even promised to be a nice guy!

• Like Like x 1