1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers place Jared Gaither on IR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by bombsaway, Nov 23, 2012.

1. bombsaway

bombsaway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
  3. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +262 / 5 / -2
  4. bombsaway

bombsaway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Seems like our draft was decent, but I feel like all of our FA signings (Meachem, Royal, Gaither...) have been huge busts. Thats a lot of wasted money.

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    they'd take on $6 million in dead money against the cap, split over the next three years.

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    hahahaha ******* pathetic

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    Goff made a good point, also reiterated by few others, that bolts will prob file a grievance

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    Over 3 years? I thought it was retro'ed to the 2013 cap?

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    according to Gehlken's UT article they're saying it can be split over 3 years

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    So not a complete disaster as long as we draft a LT. The problem is Clary is getting less likely to be replaced in 2013.

Giving us more incentive to LOSE as much as we can.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    Clary will be replaced out of sheer incompetence. Doesn't matter if team keeps him on bench he won't be starting any longer. I wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers win a grievance against Gaither - something has been very very off about his injury. If so could replace the whole offensive line in one shot.

Again my $0.02 is that Gaither being resigned was necessary and a smart move, but the failure to find a real backup was a disaster especially in light of his past history

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 4 / -0
    lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    This franchise has a bad enough reputation without trying to get its money back from injured players.

I agree we had no choice but to sign Gaither, this is a move I won't hold against AJ, but more naive fans will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +989 / 2 / -2
    I've posted this elsewhere - please forgive the dupe:

Scott Bair ‏@dscottbair Looks like Haslam will be the tackle that gets promoted from practice squad. Move will be made in a day or so.

6'5" 310 lb. Haslam, is 3 years into his career and still on a PS - if he is ever going to make any noise, this is his opportunity - slim though it is...

From Chargers.com:

Bio

Haslam originally was an undrafted rookie free agent out of Rutgers in 2010 and signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He played in five games for the Jaguars as a rookie before being placed on Reserve-Injured late in the season. He missed the entire 2011 season due to a knee injury and was signed as a free agent by the Raiders in May, 2012.

15. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    What a sorry sack of dog sheeot. :poop:

16. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +836 / 54 / -42
    Agree with the last paragraph Ant, was a necessary evil at the time unfortunately, we were between a Rock and a hard place with little or no alternative.

All blame for this and the issues in regards to McNeill also, fall directly on the incompetence of the medical staff employed by the franchise, therefore SPANOS.

Disgraceful that Chao and his band of other Quacks are still allowed anywhere near Charger players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128 / 2 / -0
    What I hold against AJ is not having a better back up plan in place. His reputation was known. Should have been prepared for this scenario.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    If cutting him now costs the team now and isn't counted against next years cap, they should do it. Free up the money for next year major reconstruction. But if cutting him now does the same thing as cutting him after the season, then I see no benefit in cutting him now

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    Just another big hole in the road.

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    How many starting caliber backup LTs are there in the league? Next to none. If the Broncos lost Ryan Clady tomorrow would you blame John Elway for not having an equal backup ready?
    If the 49ers lost Joe Staley what would they do?

The point is there is no such thing as being prepared for this scenario. We can't spend 14 million on 2 left tackles, with one as a security blanket who sits on the bench. And we can't go drafting LTs in the 1st round after paying one 25 million dollars for the next 4 years, while ignoring the fact that our defense was an historically awful on 3rd downs last year.

I'm not a huge AJ fan, but Marcus McNeil and Kris Dielman's career ending injuries painted him into a corner with Jared Gaither.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    I agree on the greviance possibly being won. I find it hard to believe we could get the whole line replaced but i'm all for trying. Not sure Hardwick has fallen so far or its just the people around him, but i'm already sold on Molk. I think he's a tough bastard who could bring some attitude to the line. I hear good things about Troutman so I have no issues giving the kid a shot to replace Tyrone Green. Mike Harris may be a good project to make into our Right Tackle of the future and I hope he can suplant Clary by the start of next year. We draft or sign an LT with out any doubt (Joeckel from Texas A&M would be my pick at this point). The only position I think we may keep for next year is Louis Vasquez at RG who isnt doing great but appears to be more of an issue coping witht he failings of Clary then any real issues of his own.

22. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    Gaither and McNeil both had known potential season/career ending injury issues. Not having a decent or workable backup plan in thus case is ******* bullshit idiocy.

Dielman was more of a surprise, but they had to know a contingency plan was in order after his seizure. I mean hell, even Hardwick considered retiring after that. It was no secret that his seizure was serious business in that locker room.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    I was unaware of Gaithers potential career ending affliction prior to this season. Please explain.

And again...what suitable backup plan would you have suggested for McNeil? Everyone says AJ should have been prepared for this, but nobody has a realistic suggestion of who we should have signed or drafted. Ironic considering everyone was bashing AJ for allowing McNeil to holdout due to injury concerns with a long term deal.

24. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +872 / 5 / -0
    It's nice to know that Chargers management had a plan B in place. Now, if they could only tell us what plan B was...

25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    Same as every other team who might lose a starting left tackle to injury...pray.

26. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    I was all for us to sign Gaither as well, and I won't hold it against AJ either because there just weren't any LT's that played as well as he did down the stretch. But, not having a back up plan, like others said is stupidity. Especially once he got hurt in July. They should of been aware of his previous situations, and looked for a solid pick up.

As for next year. I mean, it's more than certain we go at the tackle position. Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews are my preferred picks at tackle.. Taylor Lewan, Dallas Thomas and Eric Fisher are my other prospects I'd like to see. But Joeckel is most NFL ready.

I think we could trade Clary. Whether its for a 6th or 7th rounder, someone will take him, and his contract. This way we don't have to take a cap hit.

Still think re-signing Vasquez would be a smart move. We need returning pieces, we can't just go out and buy a new OL through FA and the draft. Keep Hardwick, Sign Vasquez, Draft a pure Tackle and a guy who can play Guard & Tackle (One in the first, One in the later rounds), and sign a vet Left Guard. I think Troutman and Dombo will be good depth pieces as well as Mike Harris.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    I would take a conditional pick for Clary...7th or nothing. Anything to get rid of the cap hit, its better than releasing him.

Really I would take a pick for Gaither as well, but again we're talking about guys with no trade value.

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Unless the new CBA completely rewrote the salary cap rules, Gehlken's mistaken. You can't prorate the cap hit for a player no longer on your roster. You take it all at once in the given season you release him.

Gaither's contract guaranteed $13.5 million. We gave him $8mm of that in a signing bonus. So that leaves 5.5 million. Subtract another $1mm for his base salary this season - puts us at $4.5mm still guaranteed on the contract. That means that if we were to release him outright tomorrow that remaining $4.5 million would count against the cap, AND additionally the 3 remaining years over which the signing bonus was prorated (at $2mm per year) would all accelerate and compound into a lump sum - so $10.5 million to release him which is more than he'd count against the cap in 2013 ($7.5mm). Translation, it's financially and just generally stupid to release him at this point. We do more harm to ourselves doing it that we do good. Dead money always compounds as a single ("final") year hit; always has and likely always will under the salary cap system.

If that really is what Gehlken said (I haven't read the article), I hope for his sake it was just an honest slip up. Because that's the kind of faulty fact-checking I'd expect from someone like Hacksaw (i.e. just blowing off facts grounded in decades of history and just making up your own to suit whatever point you're trying to make).

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    People need to understand how the salary cap system works better. Really, it's a quick read; if you want I'll be more than happy to provide several links that break it down and explain it pretty easily.

If your team gives a guy a signing bonus, executes an option bonus, or prorates any sort of large-sum "bonus" in a player's contract, there is no full "getting out" of his cap hit. The cost of prorating a bonus on a contract is that if you choose to prematurely void (which trading constitutes since the player will cease to be on your books and instead on someone else's) the contract, you take the cap-hit for the remainder of any unaccounted-for bonus or guaranteed monies against your present year cap.

Clary got a $6.8 million signing bonus, 2 years of that have been accounted for, 2 have not. If he's cut or traded the remaining two years' portions accelerate and compound ($1.7mm per year times two, for a total of $3.4mm). Granted, financially it could make some sense since it would still free up $1.3mm in cap space for 2013, but people really need to take this into account when thinking they/we can just get out from under Clary's contract free and clear by trading him. Same rules apply; we prorated it, we have to pay the cost for doing so.

• Informative Informative x 1
  30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    Yeah this is more what I figured, a cap killer. But if we don't release him in the near future he'll have a cap effect on the 2014 season as well, and this whole situation could drag out somewhat like Luis Castillo's. Its going to cost us any chance of bringing in new free agents, and may also hurt our chances of resigning guys like Butler and Vasquez who I believe will be more expensive than people think.

Then you gotta consider Robert Meachem and Eddie Royal, both their cap numbers are double or more in 2013.

Then of course Jeromey Clary, who according to that Spotrac site is set to make $5.7M for being one of the worst starting RTs in the league. 2013 looks bleak right now.