1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers place Jared Gaither on IR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by bombsaway, Nov 23, 2012.

1. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731 / 53 / -41

WHAT !!!!..................... not even

[​IMG]
  2. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731 / 53 / -41
    Thats some good posting there LBC, very informative stuff indeed................now, if we were all just Philadelphia laywers, the world would be a better place. ;)

Bleak would be a nice way of saying "totally and utterly farged in the arse", wouldn't it Mati ?

And you seriously think we should sign a guy like Vasquez the Rollerderby Queen, to a long term extension ???

Now I do realise that when comparing Vaseline to Jumpy, that he may look All Pro, but then again, who wouldn't, not sure that means we should go and sign another very very very average Pro to Mega Millions, simply based upon the fact................."he's the best we got" logic.

Take a look at some recent long term signings for boucoup bucks ................Wilhelm, McNeill, Gaithers, Tucker, just for starters. (Lets pretend the Robert Benchme $25,900.000 for 4, Jarret Johnson $19,000,000 for 4 and Eddie "anything but" Royal's $13,500.000 for 3, are just very bad nightmare's) :rolleyes:

Not only did they not come close to fulfilling those contracts, I don't believe they even played a SINGLE DECENT GAME after signing on the dotted line.
    (Thank Gawd we didnt spend 55 Mill. on VJ at least, we wouldn't have been able to make a roster move till 2020 if we'd walked down that yellow brick road ........ maybe AJ DID get something right afterall ?) ;)
  3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,530 / 10 / -0
    Gaither = season, McNeil = career. I'm typing on my phone and didn't think I needed to spell that out.

Bottom line, with his history, a backup plan for Gaither should have been in place.

AJ has long neglected the oline in general anyway, trying to backfill with bargain talent instead of investing in more known commodities.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    And the bottom line is such a backup plan does not exist but in the minds of angry and irrational fans. I'll say it again, if the 49ers lost Joe Staley to a broken foot in a car accident today, or the Texans lost Duane Brown, their seasons would be ****** just as much as ours is.

Actually I take that back, a competant play caller could probably make adjustments to at least keep their situation respectable while a backup was playing. But we don't have that luxury...and that is what I hold against AJ Smith.
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    Vasquez is a good player and he's worth keeping around, he's easily the best offensive linemen on our team right now.

And Jarrett Johnson has added exactly what we expected him to, our run defense is very solid again, but we all knew he adds very little in the pass rush department.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    I think that there are 2 different views on "back-up plan" material. There's a serviceable swing tackle who can back up the right or left side, and possibly start at RT, and then there's having nothing. We literally had nothing behind Gaither, because we have no RT on this team.

Is it acceptable to sit on 2 starting caliber LTs with one on the bench in the salary cap era, no, but neither is having nothing available as a back-up plan either. Again, Gaither was a dice roll, and Smitty lost, but there's nothing wrong with that. What's unacceptable is that because Smitty has neglected the RT position on this roster for over half a decade, his dice roll left us with no one playing right or left tackle on the roster, and our QB on his ***. Couple that with our below average/travesty level guard play, and an aging/small center, and it's no wonder that our line is a talent black hole.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    I think Mario Henderson was supposed to be exactly that...a weak attempt sure, but better more affordable options there were not.
  8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    There weren't better options this year, and that's the point. This isn't an issue that has suddenly appeared, but one that's been continuously in effect for years and years. We do not have one player on this team who has ever even seen a quality RT on this roster in a Chargers Uniform.
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    RT has no doubt about it, but LT has been the picture of stability up until late 2010 when McNeil started having recurring neck issues. And my point remains, I guarantee there are less then 5 teams in this league who could handle an injury at LT. Even quality backup LTs are rarely on the market, and the ones who are unlikely to settle for the pay of say a backup OG, RB, or TE.

Take Demetress Bell, the guy is a C+ caliber left tackle at best, it took him months to find a deal and when he did he signed a 5 year $35M deal with the Eagles after they lost Jason Peters, and proceeded to LOSE HIS JOB to King Dunlap. And what do they do with Bell when Peters comes back? He's a $7M a year bench warmer even if he were talented enough to start.
  10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    I agree that there are likely fewer than 5 teams who could handle an LT injury with limited ill effects, however, it's a scale issue. When your right side is garbage all the time, and your left side gets obliterated, all of a sudden you're either keeping in 8 blockers or just giving up on the passing game. If your right side is at least respectable, then you have the option of providing help to your diminished left side while just giving the right side a chip block. I agree that LT had been in great shape, however, by ignoring RT, it effectively made both tackle situations extremely prone to quality degradation by even a short-term injury (we lost the NO game basically because of a 90 second injury to Gaither, for example, among other things)
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    Also, something to consider, before people start getting on "AJ" (Ed McGuire handles all the contract negotiations and figures in that respect; yes, AJ rubber-stamps the final contract, same as Spanos does, but he trust McGuire implicitly as his right-hand guy) for "overpaying" Royal, Meachem, Johnson, etc.:
    With the advent of the new CBA there is both an implementation of a salary floor for the first time in league history (going official in either 2013 or 2014 - I believe it's '13 though) and with it a natural increase across the board in the size of contracts to veteran players (because the rookie wage scale has drastically decreased the amount of money contracted to rookies and thus that money has to go somewhere, and starting in '13 HAS to be spent). This is why we've seen an increased instance of above-average players getting top-tier (or damn close) money (e.g. Brandon Carr, Ray Edwards - though that didn't work out so well for Atlanta, Mark Brisiel) - as teams would rather pay more to the "above average" tier than to the average and below average tiers.

Realistically the days of any offensive tackle not playing on a rookie contract who is tabbed as a team's starter making less that $7 million per season on average have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur. There's an increase in the cap scheduled to come fairly soon though, since it is factored as a percentage of the total league-wide revenue and the new TV contracts are set to kick in, at a higher rate of return, either next year or the year after.
  12. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Would anybody take a chance on the guy Gosder Cherilus from Detroit? Pretty reliable since he's been in the league (2008 Draft).. Has played in 70 games since 2008, 2 complete seasons, 1 - 15 game season and 1 - 12 game season and hasn't missed a game this year. He's been a starter since his rookie year, 4th career game he started. He was a solid Right Tackle in college for BC, LT not so much. He is capable of playing both Tackle positions. I don't know how his game has developed since, but if your starting every year since 2008 you must be doing something right? Unless your Clary..

Jeremy Trueblood anything on him?
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    Nope - unless we were looking at him as a guard and even then he really hasn't shown an ability to drive a smaller man off the line as a tackle, so I don't have much faith in him against larger linemen. Cherilus' big knock, dating all the way back to when he was a prospect, was that he has short arms (like Robert Gallery). He simply doesn't have to length to wall off longer or longer-armed defenders from the edge.

The major knocks on Trueblood are inability to stay healthy (he tends to pick up a lot of minor knocks and always seems to have something nagging him) and a hot-and-cold motor. More on that when I'm sober enough to flesh it out.