1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers prepare for season opener without Gaither

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by Travis Duncan, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Travis Duncan

Travis Duncan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    uspw_6329544.jpg
    San Diego, CA, USA; San Diego Chargers offensive tackle Jared Gaither (78) smiles during a drill during minicamp at Charger Park. Credit: Jake Roth-US PRESSWIRE

By Travis Duncan
    Bolttalk writer

Around 1300 NFL players will find themselves unemployed Friday evening as NFL teams make mandatory roster cuts to a 53-man active roster.

The Chargers really would love to find a guy who could play left tackle or at the very least provide some depth on the offensive line. Surely out of 1300 players there will be at least one linemen who can help the Chargers.

Of course in order for the Chargers to sign additional offensive linemen they'll need to either add them to the practice squad or move players off their 53-man roster once it is finalized Friday. But the position will continue to be a need until left tackle Jared Gaither gets healthy.

The Chargers are preparing to start the season without Gaither. Gaither had an MRI performed on his lowerback/hamstring on Tuesday but results were not made public. Norv Turner did not sound optimistic this week, and stated that Gaither would not likely play if he can't practice and that doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon. Again, the Chargers at this point are not expecting to have Gaither Week 1.

That leaves undrafted rookie Mike Harris at left tackle, and he has struggled. Anthony Davis, who was signed earlier this month is Harris' backup. Davis has not played in an NFL game since 2008, after spending a few years in the UFL.

Matthews Update

Ryan Mathews is going to do everything within his power to play Week 1 against Oakland. Mathews has been cleared to do upper body exercises as he continues to recover from a broken clavicle he suffered in the Chargers opening preseason game.

Mathews himself says he plays to suit up for Monday Night Football Sept. 10th, but that of course will require clearance from the Chargers medical staff.

"I’m feeling good and like my old self," Mathews said via Chargers.com "I’m pushing for that first game. I’m able to run and workout. I’m also pushing myself to get my legs under me."

Thursday Night

Philip Rivers is expected to get some work Thursday night in the Chargers final preseason game. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. and will broadcast on KFMB/CBS TV.

Melvin Ingram is day-to-day and probably will not see action against the 49ers after suffering a thigh bruise Friday night against the Vikings. Either way, he's expected to play in the season opener.