1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers pursuing McKinnie (Finally)!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Apr 29, 2013.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +447 / 2 / -1
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Why do people want this guy? He showed up for them out of the blue for the playoffs and that was it. Just another Jared Gaither, who's looking to cash out before his retirement.

I much rather pursue a guy like Jammal Brown, Max Starks or Demetress Bell.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,692 / 45 / -26
    I'm shocked!!!................. not.
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Well, Bell I suppose for the familiarity with Joe D. I'd rather Brown or Starks for him though. Starks is notorious - because he did this last year too - for having a price he wants and holding out till he gets it (did it last year with the Steelers and held out all the way until Week 6 before he signed with them). Brown would be a good pick-up if there's not much guaranteed money tied to the deal and his medical checks out. Same with Sean Locklear, though his injury was much more recent.
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,692 / 45 / -26
    Probably what we'll end up with.....

Update: Perhaps the Chargers will show interest in Adam Synder, who was cut by the Cardinals. Synder is a solid backup at all five positions. He played for new San Diego offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt last year.
  6. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +447 / 2 / -1
    I want any starting capable LT, which we currently dont have. McKinnie just won a Superbowl ring playing LT against a powerful 49ers defense and did well. I know he didnt start during the year but I would be happy to have someone capable of starting on our team and they have not been seen as targeting any of the other eligible vets. If I could have anybody available I would take Clabo.
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    He's also the reason they went through two of their QB's. The guy gave up more sacks individually than any other player in the league last year. One would hope that Whisenhunt would have learned from being burned once before. While we're at it why don't we also look at Deuce Letui whose also a free agent and played for Whisenhunt at one point - even though he's equally as worthless as Snyder.
  8. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Yeah, only reason I have Demetress Bell is because his best years came under Joe D. He can swing as well.

Jamaal Brown should be good, medically. He had hip surgery in August, recovery time was 4-6 weeks, but the Redskins kept him PUP'd basically due to his salary, and they got to void his contract a few months ago, and he's pretty much not needed with Trent Williams' emergence.

Max Starks could be difficult, but I'd still rather have him over Bryant McKinnie.
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,692 / 45 / -26
    Yeah, he's :poop:....... but considering our cap space, he's the type of player we'll likely end up with.

Unless, we cut Clary to free up some $$$. ;)
  10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    lol, I say cut Clary to free up space, then offer Jacksonville a 2nd round pick in 2014 since they just picked up Joeckel and take Eugene Monroe off their hands.

Haha...if only this were actually possible. :rolleyes:
  11. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Well, I don't even know why they took Joeckel in the first place. Monroe played very well for them, unless they've talked contract extension (he is a FA in 2014) and don't like the numbers his agent is putting up, I could see why. But to draft a guy who will most likely play ROT at #2 overall had my head scratching.

If we want to save money, we should probably cut Clary, McClain, and Whitehurst now. That will save nearly $4-5M I believe (off the top of my head, so excuse me if I'm wrong), but we also don't even have 90 players to take into camp yet.
  12. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +179 / 2 / -1
    I'd rather dedicate a TE to help a scrub LT block and basically play one receiver short than pay big bucks to another ex Ravens with back problems.
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    They took him, literally with the intention of playing him at RT. Their GM puts a massive emphasis on the trenches and saw Joeckel as BPA (had him #1 on his board).
  14. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Pretty much ya. I mean in my original post I said "if only this were possible". They aren't going to let Monroe walk. He is in a contract year I believe, and more than likely he will get tagged next year, and their edge will be solidified for some time. All of that $$ spent to protect a garbage QB. lol.
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    Waited just long enough to get into a 3 team bidding war. Awesome.
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Yeah, I just expected Dion Jordan there, I was 99 % sure they were taking him. He fits what all 32 teams are trying to do, and Gus Bradley is a defensive guy, might want a future defensive play maker like Jordan. But, I totally understand BPA, and the way their board looked.
  17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Not gonna happen. Just look where he played his college ball at. ;)
  18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Sleeper idea "If Healthy" What about Jeff Otah? I know he's been struggling with that knee issue but a year out of football as well as training at that Facility in Cleveand. wouldn't hurt as a camp try out.

The guy seems motivated to get back into the league
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    The draft didn't help the Chargers address their left tackle need.
    A second dip into free agency might.

There was dialogue Monday between San Diego and Bryant McKinnie's side, a league source said. No visit was scheduled during the talks, although given the situation's fluidity, that conversation could come any day, putting McKinnie on a plane to California as early as this week.

It's a busy time for the 33-year-old left tackle.

McKinnie, a Miami resident, popped by the Dolphins on Monday, taking a physical. The Ravens, too, are considered to be very much in the mix for the 12th-year veteran.

In 2012, McKinnie was a reserve for Baltimore before starting all four playoff games, including the team's Super Bowl win. If he was to join the Chargers, it's expected he would be their Week 1 starter at left tackle.

San Diego made an early upgrade at the position last month, signing King Dunlap. The versatile 6-foot-9 lineman has 19 career starts but appears best suited for a swing role.

Last week's draft didn't set up well for the Chargers to find a young, franchise left tackle.

Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel and Lane Johnson were the three prospects considered ready to start immediately, but they, in rather historic fashion, went off the board in the first four selections. The team ultimately did address its offensive line in the first round, choosing former Alabama right tackle D.J. Fluker with the No. 11 pick.

Other options in free agency include Max Starks, a 31-year-old with 16 left-tackle starts for the Steelers in 2012.
  20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Ok so it's official tomorrow
    I'm pretty sure by Tuesday night or Wednesday morning he'll be a Charger
    Free agent LT Bryant McKinnie will visit the Chargers on Tuesday.
    McKinnie, 33, didn't start a single regular season game for the Ravens last season, but he was inserted into the lineup for the playoffs and allowed two sacks. The Chargers trotted out undrafted free agent Michael Harris to start nine games on Philip Rivers' blindside in 2012. He allowed ten sacks and 44 hurries over the course of the year. McKinnie would be a massive upgrade.
  21. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +447 / 2 / -1
    Sounds fine to me. Everyone keeps saying he's the next Jared Gaither, but no one calls him the big lazy, he showed up when asked in the playoffs and Superbowl, if he was really bad they wouldn't be attempting to resign him (at a very low offer, but they are trying), and the biggest reason: Beggars cant be choosers and with our cap space we are definitely beggars at this time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Not sure if it's a "massive" upgrade like he said it is. Upgrade? Yes, if he keeps his head right, and doesn't turn out to be a lazy POS. "massive" upgrade? No.

At this point though I will welcome him with open arms, as long as we aren't overpaying for his ***. Use him as a 1 year rental, see what happens. Worst case scenario, we are drafting one in next years draft. :tup:
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    He is a knuckle head, but its not like we need him for the long haul. If we can rent him for a year or two, we'll be alright.

Just keep him off yachts, out of Pro Bowls, and keep his wait in training camp in check and we'll be ok.
  24. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +447 / 2 / -1
    Yep, and McCoy doesn't strike me as the Club Med Training Camp type guy like Norv was so I doubt they would let him get too far out of shape.
  25. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Yea reading his wikipedia page is a bit alarming. Guy has been in a lot of trouble throughout his career. I never knew about the love boat scandal hahaha. Regardless I do hope we sign him to a 1yr contract cause he will add depth to left takcle and make the Oline better.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    No way in Hell are the gentle souls (whose delicate sense of decorum was so offended by Shawn Phillips'
    relatively minor scrapes with the law) going to tolerate the much longer rap sheet of the outlaw Bryant McKinnie... :whistling:
  27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Plus he is at the age that even if he plays well, he isn't getting a high $$ multi year deal like Gaither did.
  28. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Haha, people don't really know Bryant McKinnie do they?

The guy got got fined for not showing up for camp last year. He even showed up out of shape. He left the team hanging really, they needed him all year, and it took getting to the playoffs to wake this guy up. Then take into account all his other off the field altercations.

Honestly, what is the only reason he wants to be in San Diego? I'll tell you, $$. He already won his Super Bowl, his intrinsic motivation is $$. That's all he cares about, just like Jared Gaither. Unless he is paid awfully well (Which he won't get in San Diego), he wants to win. He doesn't want to be apart of a losing team or average team unless he's getting LOT $$.

Shoot for Max Starks, Jamaal Brown or Demetress Bell. They've been the better professionals throughout their careers, and we can most likely get them on a 2 year deal, rather than a 1 year deal and we have that security, where in 2014, we don't have to reach on a, what it looks to be, a very deep OT draft class next year.
  29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    We don't need an out of shape behemoth to come in and sit on the bench, and I doubt TT is going to pay for one to do so.

I expect Harris to be our day 1 starter, and I expect him to benefit by us not needing to dedicate a TE/RB to help Clary on every play.
  30. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,568 / 27 / -1
    Just because we got burned by Gaither doesn't mean every lineman coming from the Ravens organization is going to be equally as bad.