1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers pursuing McKinnie (Finally)!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Apr 29, 2013.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Our starter would have been King Dunlap.

I think even moving Clary to LT would have been a "massive upgrade" in comparison.
  2. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    It's fine. None of it happened while he was a Charger.
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
  4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    How do you know what he wants? Did you talk to him?

These are all assumptions based loosely off circumstantial observations.
  5. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
  6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    I'd be more inclined to take him seriously if he left Gaither out of the conversation.

I'm not saying his concerns aren't legit or worth discussing, but Bryant McKinnie is not Jared Gaither. Mentioning Gaither in the conversation serves no purpose other than to tug on the fresh feelings of the reader after being burned by Gaither.

Tell me why McKinnie sucks. Don't waste my time trying to compare him to somebody else that does in an effort to make your argument stronger.
  7. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Read the article, he burned the Ravens last year, didn't show up for camp, and when he did showed up out of shape and over weight. Was out played by OG's at LOT last year until the playoffs and until Jim Caldwell re-shuffled the offensive line.
  8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I'd be inclined to ignore anything posted on bleacherreport. It the same quality you would get from Hacksaw who I ignore also
  9. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    How do we actually know that? We don't know what King Dunlap is going to bring to the table this year with the right coaching. And please Jeromy Clary is a "massive upgrade"? Not hardly.

When I think of "massive upgrade" I think of going from Mike Harris/King Dunlap to Joe Thomas. Not Mike Harris/King Dunlap to McKinnie. Matter of opinion I suppose.
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    There's a reason those guys are out in the bleachers.

(BR does serve one function: it allows people to cite it when they agree with a particular story, and ridicule its sloppy unprofessionalism when they disagree...source and whipping boy, in one...depending on one's opinion at the moment!) :rolleyes:
  11. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
  12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    An interview he did on Sportcenter just prior to free agency starting where he out and out said that he played for the Ravens on the cheap last year (he conveniently left out that the reason for that was because he showed up to camp overweight, they cut him, and brought him back later when his weight was under control), but if they wanted him back they were going to have to break out the big bucks and show him the money (the guy literally dropped a Jerry Maguire reference).

He wants to cash in on the fact that he was on a Super Bowl winning line and I can't say as I blame him, but that doesn't mean I think he's worth the money he's reported to be asking for.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Actually that's fairly false. I know several guys who write for them. It's a loose affiliations in that so long as you can actually keep up with producing your story quota each week they keep you on staff, but don't think for a second that they're just letting any fan off the street (or out of the bleachers) become a writer. The BR live draft coverage (i.e. the draft show that ran concurrent with Rich's Yammering Yackos and the guys on ESPN picking lice out of Mel's rug) was superior to anything the major networks put out in terms of quality of pick analysis, trying to understand why picks were and weren't made by careful examination of the teams/FO's making them, etc.

Moreover, BR has ended up being a feeder system for other sites. If you want to take anything about them with a grain of salt that's the reason, but even then that's not a good one because 90% of the guys that write for BR are trying to get to more "legitimate" employment/affiliation.

Judge the quality of an article by the article itself. Just arbitrarily writing it off because of where it's published is as asinine as the people who continue to say that they refuse to take anything submitted by ProFootballTalk serious because of Mike Florio and his past tendency to go full blown British tabloid newspaper style and make things up when he wanted better headlines. Those people disregard the fact that ever since Florio affiliated with NBC that the larger network now demands much greater scrutiny at the fact-checking level and transparency at the truth-telling one.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Maybe they have gotten better, but every time I have ever read anything on that site especially related to the Chargers, it sounded like they brought in a Hacksaw equivalent from another city who knows diddly squat about the Chargers or the players they have on the roster, and said "Hey, go write something about what the Chargers need". The quality was so bad it was even funny and the "facts" that get referenced were completely false.
  15. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 2 / -0
  16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I think that is more an issue of there being less Chargers fans with interest, or time, in seriously writing about the Chargers. Gets somewhat taken for granted around here that Conc and others put in time publishing articles for BT. I was offered the opportunity to serve as editor-in-chief for a Chargers branch off from the original seed started by James Christensen with nepatriotsdraft.com (and has since branched out into Lions, Chiefs, Giants, and upcoming Falcons sites - the later of which one of my good friends from my site will be serving as editor for), I just don't have the time to devote to it, particularly with the lack of staff. (I referred James to someone else, but it's not easy finding someone with the maturity and know-how to regularly produce articles and do technical scouting from tape, so likely the person I recommended may not be in a position to do the job for another year or two, especially since they'll want ot see him publishing articles elsewhere on the web first).

I'm actually, typically, far more suspect of the SB Nation articles because they tend to be, while usually solid on their facts, horrifically bias and unable to look at both sides of the coin, so to speak (see: Bolts from the Blue).

If anyone is interested in this path, I can put them in contact with the appropriate folks. We can always use more informed articles or opinions covering our Chargers. Several folks I've encountered along the way that would be good at this, I just have no idea what their own personal and professional schedules look like because from all the info I've received, it can be quite a time-consuming endeavor.
  17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Well, I don't have the time and am a terrible writer. So I am out. But that doesn't mean I can't read something and judge if it is worth reading or not, an although there may be good stuff there, I have missed every one of them and to me, what I have read is the same quality as what I could get from listening to Hacksaw.

Maybe I need to read more and maybe I can find the quality ones, but I haven't found them yet
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Maybe we're reading different articles (or I have a much lower opinion of Hacksaw than you do - is that even possible?), but I'm not seeing Hacksaw-esque articles out of the writers at BR. At least not the ones that focus primarily on the Chargers. Now the ones that are more holistic NFL wrtiers and just throw in bits and pieces about the Chargers here and there... sure. But Hacksaw blows and blusters like he actually has this fantastic grasp on the state of the team (which he doesn't) and everyone else is just devoid of the cognitive abilities to see that he's right (when he's really just a loudmouthed kook).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Don't think my view of Hacksaw could get lower, which is how I feel about just about every Chargers related article I have read on BR. Now I don't go there and read everything, I stopped even looking at things there a couple years ago after having a bunch of stuff sent to me over a couple year period that was absolutely terrible. It may have been a small sample size, but when 100% of what I read was trash, I felt like any additional time spent reading the stuff there was a total waste of my time.

Like I said, maybe it had improved and I need to give it another shot, but in the past I thought it was trash

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
  21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    55m

Told Bryant McKinnie is amidst a "very good" visit. Having dinner with Chargers tonight. Two sides have yet to talk numbers.
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Donovan's. ;)
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    And your preference would be?
  26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    What do you think is going to happen here? A 4 year 26 million dollar deal?

At least bring him in on a 1 year deal compete and knock Harris off the roster. Harris who gave up 10 sacks and over 44 hurries in just 9 starts.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Yeah, what was that UDFA thinking?......... dude should've known from day one, that he was going to have to start at LT. :rolleyes:
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Bryant McKinnie meets, dines with Chargers
    Veteran could become latest new starter to offensive line
    By Michael Gehlken 9:47 P.M. APRIL 30, 2013

They wined him. They dined him.

All that's left now is to sign him.

The Chargers hosted veteran left tackle Bryant McKinnie in what a source characterized as a “very good” Tuesday visit. The evening was capped off by a dinner, and as of about 7 p.m., the two sides had not yet discussed contract numbers, the source added.

If McKinnie wants to go to a city he feels wanted, he's still here.

San Diego could certainly use the 33-year-old, likely as its starting left tackle. He was a reserve last season before helping stabilize the Ravens' line during its Super Bowl run.

The 6-foot-8, 348-pounder allowed two sacks in four playoff games.

Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco is overseeing changes to an offensive line expected to carry a different starter at four different spots.

Center Nick Hardwick is the lone veteran returning to his original position.

Last month, left tackle Jared Gaither was released. and left guard Tyronne Green and right guard Louis Vasquez became unrestricted free agents. Right tackle Jeromey Clary is beginning a transition to guard after the Chargers selected right tackle D.J. Fluker in last week's first round.

“I'm excited about the opportunity to play a new position, and we'll go from there,” Clary said in a Tuesday statement.

As things stand, King Dunlap, a March free agency signing, tops the depth chart at left tackle. The 6-foot-9 veteran's versatility to play on either tackle side and also slide to guard makes him well suited for a reserve role.

Quarterback Philip Rivers was sacked 49 times in 2012, second most in the NFL. The team also rushed for 3.6 yards per carry, tied for second lowest.
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    He's our last hope at getting a legit pro bowl LT, we need him
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Don't know about his making the Pro Bowl being legit, but he's a decent LT when motivated.

Now, where have I heard that before? ;)