1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers pursuing McKinnie (Finally)!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    What I meant was he plays good enough to go to Hawaii, he just isn't aloud to:D
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Telesco just needs to write out a well worded contract that'll give McKinnie enough incentive to stay and play for us but also protect our back side if things should go stray
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,772 / 47 / -26
    That's Ed's job. ;)
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Telesco Ed just needs to write out a well worded contract that'll give McKinnie enough incentive to stay and play for us but also protect our back side if things should go stray
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    Well, I haven't listened to the Hack since the KLSD days (which seemed appropriate, since his never-ending
    rants about his supposed influence did seem to be reflect exposure to lysergic acid diethylamide) but even then
    it was common knowledge that one had to take anything LHH said with two grains of salt.

My point is that I'm in no position to compare BR with 2013 LHH.

Still, I have a very different take on BR. Yes, I have read a couple of decent writers there, but far more
    often I've been burned: lured by a catchy headline to read a piece that ended up being a steaming pile.
    Catchy titles like "Top 65 Quarterbacks" are fun...but then, once you're into the piece, you realize that
    it is mind-numbingly subjective. Now, subjective is fine if it's the musings of a Roger Ebert or John Madden.
    But if it's just "Loud Uncle Larry," it's often no more interesting than reading a list of a complete stranger's
    favorite ice cream flavors. Worse, those views are often propped up with skewed stats that have already
    been beaten to death by opinionated fans in places like Bolt Talk. In other words, mere regurgitation of
    surface talking points (re. one of 32 teams, about which they have no special experience or expertise)...
    why should I--obsessed with Charger football for decades--be looking to someone who's just skimming
    the surface, re. 32 teams, in order to put out a piece? I actually have the exact same issue, re. someone
    like Cris Carter (random example) being asked on ESPN about how good he thinks the Chargers will be in 2013.
    Since he didn't play for San Diego, and hasn't made this team any special focus of his, over the other 31
    he's trying to be 'expert' in, I don't get too wrapped up in his words. He simply doesn't focus on the Chargers
    (or know their history) like I do. That's not a rap on him, or a pat on my back...it's just the reality.

But still, he is freakin' Cris Carter, he was a great player for a long time, so, even though I don't think
    of him as any great authority on the Chargers, he definitely has considerable gravitas re. NFL football.
    But on BR you have the bad (trying to talk about 32 teams, with no particular specialization) combined with
    (more bad) the fact that the writer generally doesn't have any more insight than the average reader.

In all honesty, I virtually never read BR anymore. I see the seductive headlines all over the place, but
    just before I click, I remember, essentially: "Likely just going to be another set of subjective opinions
    by some nobody, who is supporting them with old stats already familiar to true fans." Again, I'm not
    declaring myself any great authority on Charger football...but 4 decades of obsessive attention,
    plus a pretty good memory and a background in logic means that some amateur on BR, just trying
    to sound like he knows what he's talking about, re. the Chargers, has dissappointed me so many times
    that I just no longer bother.

[Geez...that was about 6x as much as I inter to write...my apologies.]

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Haha!

After what we've been through with Gaither, you think Telesco is going to get into a bidding war with Miami and Baltimore? I'm thinking his price is between $2.5-3.5M for a 1 year deal, possibly even more if he holds himself more valuable after he helped the Ravens with their Super Bowl run.
  7. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +45 / 4 / -0
    Just sign the Guy!
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    I'm sick of the Gaither 2.0 accusations, The dude is lazy,and is ridiculous sometimes but he has played in the NFL successfully at one of the toughest positions to play and has done it at a high level his entire career. He has ever quit on his team.

The 4 games he played last year, only giving up 2 sacks against some of the tougher defenses this year, we should be so lucky that a guy with that talent is around.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Albert Breer@AlbertBreer
    1h

Free-agent OT Bryant McKinnie says, via text, that he's taking a physical with the Chargers today. Which is another step in the process.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Daniel Jeremiah@MoveTheSticks
    6m

If SD signs McKinnie, they'll have a LOT of beef at the OT position! Fluker and McKinnie both lack ideal quicks but you can't overpower them
  11. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    My guess is it would be a base a signing bonus of 1 million, on a base salary of 1 million with 2 million in incentives. Tie those incentives into OTA's, TC participation, and starts at LT.
  12. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Fluker plays at about 340. McKinnie plays at about 340. Troutman plays at about 325. Rhinehart plays at about 325. And the little princess of thr group, Hardwick plays at about 305. Thats a 327 average across the line. Whats funny is we plan to move to a hybrid ZBS (Power on pass plays) type of blocking scheme, and for the first time in many years we have a big enough line to utilize the Power scheme we have been tryingto use for a decade.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    :roflmao:

So, missing from the start of camp and then finally coming into camp over weight and out of shape is the veteran you want your young team around? Or how about starting trouble at night clubs? Then, being out played all season by Michael Oher, Bobbie Williams, Roman Harewood, AND Jah Reid, 3 of those guys being predominantly OG's is a talent you want on this team? When Jim Caldwell became the OC for the Ravens he reshuffled the line for the playoffs, McKinnie saw his shot in a contract year and ran with it. Now look at him, gaining interest throughout the league, exactly what he wanted.

If this guy has no competition at his position, he has no drive. The fact we look desperate in search of a LOT, seems like there will be no competition at the position, and McKinnie's spot will be handed to him. He was a full time starter in 2011, and gave up 8.5 sacks.
  14. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 1 / -0
    lol, seriously dude we get it. He didn't show up last year for the start of camp, came to camp overweight and out of shape. Got into trouble off the field. You don't want him. Saying this like 3 or 4 times in the same thread isn't going to get your point across anymore. Unfortunately I agree with you when it comes to McKinnie to an extent. All of that does throw up red flags, but I have watched King dunlap and he is just as bad if not worse. And to be honest Starks, and Bell aren't that much better options if at all than McKinnie.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    And you must fail to realize we are desperate, You don't think Baltimore wanted to start their first round draft pick at LT to see if he made any strides and what they have? They wanted to get younger, faster. He wanted to play this year but Harbaugh felt it was best to keep him as a reserve, while also setting an example. Once McKinnie got the starting spot, that entire offense played lights out, also was a big part of why Flacco got the contract he did. Again this is the best available LT on the market.
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    When did you watch King Dunlap? If your going off an Eagles fan's perspective, they hate every player on their team after the 2 miserable years they've had :roflmao:. They expect every OT that steps in for an elite OT like Jason Peters to be like Jason Peters.

But seriously, King Dunlap is a solid pass protector, run blocker not so much, but looking at what we may have on the right side of the line, I don't mind.

Getting back to McKinnie, everyone thinks this guy is going to step in and be a God or something. We have a young nucleus of players, we don't need a bonehead, who has SO many red flags. The guy will be 34 come the start of the season, and who knows if he shows up for camp or not, in shape or not. You simply don't know what your getting with this guy. You can't just throw him a $1M deal and throw in $2M incentives, veterans like McKinnie want a nice base salary at this point in their career.

Demetress Bell had his best seasons in Buffalo with Joe D. In 31 games in Buffalo, where he was put at LOT and ROT, he only gave up 10.5 sacks. King Dunlap gave up 6 last year. Max Starks gave up 3 this past season. All those guys will be better professionals in our locker room than Bryant McKinnie and also better players in our system.
  17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    I still don't think this ZBS thing is guaranteed - they're going to run a system to fit the bodies we have on the roster - that's something (at least) McCoy is known for.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    How are we desperate? Mike Harris clearly was inexperienced last year. And the constant shuffling at LOG didn't help Rivers' blindside at all. If you check out some of the sacks from last year, some look like this,

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000097081/Rivers-calls-it-quits

Pre-snap, Broncos showing 3 man rush, no blitz. Mike Harris and Rex Hadnot should of communicated to one another. Harris takes the outside move, Hadnot takes the inside move.

Then also the poor play from the LOG's, Rivers had no pocket to step up into, and also Nick Hardwicks adequate play. Also take into account Jeromey Clary's horrific play.

With improved play at the OG positions, a veteran LOT, like a King Dunlap, and some new blood (I guess) at ROT like DJ Fluker, and also better coaching and change of scheme, this OL should improve quite significantly.
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,772 / 47 / -26
    If Dunlop is better, then wouldn't he get to start? Just because you bring in a guy like McKinnie, that doesn't mean he's guaranteed the job.

McCoy has repeatedly said that he wants competition on this team. He wants motivated players, and he wants guys to earn their spots. McKinnie would be no different.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    He is also 34 years old and won't get any contract that will have future cap hits like Gaither got.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    McKinnie has never been motivated, only thing that motivated him was $.
  22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    It's funny you keep preaching how Bell and Starks are better

Coach D is familiar with Bell, Whisenhunt is familiar with Starks yet, Mckinnie is the one they have continued to show interest in and is the one in SD right now taking a physical, I'm sure McCoy and Telesco have spent countless hours going over the pro's and con's of Bryant Mckinnie.

and please (I mean this in the nicest way possible) GTFO with any Mike Harris at LT talk. The guy might not even make the roster this year, and if he does it'll be at a OG position.
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    The Union-Tribune San Diego's Kevin Acee believes there's a "very good chance" the Chargers sign free agent LT Bryant McKinnie.
    The sides had dinner Tuesday, and McKinnie will take a physical on Wednesday. It's unknown if contract terms have been discussed. McKinnie would be the dictionary definition of a stopgap option in San Diego, but even going on 34, he brings more to the table than King Dunlap or Mike Harris.

24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
  25. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 1 / -0
    lol, what do you mean when did I watch him? Are you stating that he has never played LT at the professional level? I was in Philadelphia for 3 months for work during the football season in 2010. You know the year he took over for Jason Peters for a couple of weeks when Peters got hurt. I believe he got moved to RT after a few games at LT because someone else got hurt (don't remember who it was). But I think he started 2 games at LT that year, and gave up 2 or 3 sacks in those couple of games.

Listen, I am not saying that he is a horrible option. I am just saying that adding McKinnie isn't the worst thing this team could do right now. I personally don't care who they add as long as they add someone for depth and competition. Hopefully, adding competition will spark two guys are haven't had overly impressive careers.
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    How do we know they haven't contacted Starks or Bell? There both probably demanding a salary the Chargers aren't willing to pay. I think the only reason why we're interested in McKinnie is because he will command a lower salary, he was making $3.5M until he took the pay cut to $2.2M last year.

I also never said there "better" talent wise. I've said, they would be better professionals in our locker room and fit our system better, Wisenhunt's offense (Starks) or Joe D's blocking scheme (Bell). Never said those guys are BETTER than McKinnie.

There's a good chance, yes. But he took a physical with the Dolphins yesterday? And trust me, there's more cons than pros to McKinnie.

Who is saying Mike Harris at LOT? Again, much rather have King Dunlap there than Mike Harris, but don't think McKinnie is gonna come in here and be a pro-bowl LOT for 16 games.

I swear some people have reading problems.
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,772 / 47 / -26
    Then what are you so worried about? If Dunlap is the better player, he'll be the one starting.
  28. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    That was 2 seasons ago, he also gave up 6 sacks that season as well. But hey, 13 sacks in his last 52 games isn't bad. McKinnie has given up 14.5 sacks his last 52 games too. So not far off.

But your right, I just don't want a bonehead around a very young team. Talent can be wasted easily and quickly.
  29. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Affecting the locker room and the core of young players we have? If signed, he will be the 10th player over 30 on this team. Lot of those younger kids are looking up to those 10 players over 30.

I just feel bad for people who think he could be a pro bowl like talent. 4 games doesn't make a season, that's only a quarter of it.
  30. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +414 / 5 / -0
    Yes, we get it. Money is a motivating factor. When is it not? Every professional football player is motivated by money. Get over it. Is it the only factor? Of course not. At that level of play, there are many more factors that motivate the athlete. You can't just be a professional athlete because you love money more than anything. You have to have an insane amount of physical skill. More than 99% of humanity does not possess this skill. You have to be mentally tough (vaginas like the Leaf's of the world, fold under media or colleague pressure). You have to want it more than anything else. If you don't do these things and let your focus slip...you're out. It's that quick and it's that easy. There are only a select few who manage to cling to a team after losing focus (mostly due to the athlete having immense physical skill and/or the team having invested immense physical cash in the individual).

Does money motivate? Of course.
    Is money the only motivating factor? Of course not.

This theory that McKinney, or the vast majority of players is "all about the money" is ridiculous.
    Players agents, on the other hand....
    • Like Like x 1