1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers pursuing McKinnie (Finally)!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Ian Rappaport just said we're going into the season with King Dunlap.

ya know I'll be the first to admit I didn't watch many eagles games and didn't pay much attention to Dunlap and I'd imagine there is more to his game than what a piece of paper tells us.

But just off of this

King Dunlap in 2012 14 games
    7 penalties for 70 yards 0 false starts 5 holding 6 sacks allowed for 49 yards

Trent Williams in 2012 16 games
    6 penalties for 40 yards 4 false starts 2 holding 5.5 sacks allowed for 43 yards

Joe Thomas in 2012 16 games
    8 penalties for 60 yards 4 false starts 4 holding 4.5 sacks allowed for 34 yards

Now lets put that into perspective of what we had last year

Mike Harris in 2012 15 games
    9 penalties for 66 yards 4 false starts 5 holding 10 sacks allowed for 64 yards

Jeromy Clary 14 games
    2 penalties for 20 yards 1 false starts 0 holding 9.5 sacks allowed for 53 yards

the way I see it, we still need a solid LT but even if we did go into the season with Dunlap, we still come out on top. Anything is better than what we had last year. I also would like to see how many of those sacks were on Dunlap vs Vick who was infamous in holding the ball for too long.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    McKinnie was a lose-lose situation.
    Sign him and we draft an older veteran with almost all of the same problems that Gaither has
    Don't sign him and we are stuck with major questions at left tackle
  3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 7 / -1
    A near miss in my opinion. We can do better than another ex Raven big lazy/undermotivated clown.
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    I'm glad Deano is only out plane fare and a dinner on this deal.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    lol, well here's to hoping neither of those guy gets hurt. Including Phillip Rivers.
  6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I highly doubt we only have King Dunlap for depth at LOT this season. Nick Becton, Mike Harris, and Steve Schilling all could possibly compete for that back up spot.

If not, we still have a little money to sign a veteran.
  7. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Hahahaha.....God just listen to that. Dunlap, Becton, Harris, and Schilling are what we are likely to have at LT. Comedy.
  8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    I'm neither crushed, nor jumping for joy with the "miss" on McKinnie.

Yes, Chargers still have issues at LT, and none of us are sure if Dunlap is the answer.

McKinnie may have been an upgrade...and I may have been more gung-ho about
    the guy if the Gaither issue hadn't just happened. Sometimes you roll the dice on a guy...
    but do you roll the dice on a guy right after an uncomfortably similar guy just burned you?
    If McKinnie turns out to be Gaither 2.0, you can't really say "There were no clues."

If the Chargers could've added McKinnie on the cheap, with a budget one year contract,
    I'd have supported that. Otherwise, I think Telescopo was wise to not try to outbid anyone.

Meh.jpg
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    I am neither crushed, nor jumping for joy either. However, the fact still remains that we need more competition (bodies/Veterans) in here. I personally think that if we go into the season with the guys I listed above we are in serious trouble. Our right side is a liability for pass protection (Fluker). And if we have the guys we have now on the left side, it's going to be embarrassing to watch. AGAIN.
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Competition will step a player's game up another level.

Again, this all has to do with coaching and game planning. Joe D will put together a solid line, I also think people are overrating the use of a LOT. Of course its an important position, its the quarterbacks blindside, but ROT is almost just as important, and in 14 games both Harris and Clary surrendered 19.5 sacks. We got some sort of an upgrade at ROT, and were getting some sort of upgrade at LOT. If both Dunlap and Fluker only allow 5 sacks each, I'll be extremely happy with that.

But our OG's have to play well too. Whoever it is in the trenches, have to give Rivers a pocket to step up into.
  11. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    l
    That's not always true about competition. I mean look at the Jets QB situation, Mark Sanchize had to endure the fact that bringing in Timmy Teblow could have him lose his job in preseason. Did that elevate his play? No, it actually made him worse, if that's possible.

How much upgrade in pass protection do you think Fluker is? Upgrade in the running game? Hell yes. Passing game, not near as much. The more I hear Fluker talk, the more I love the guy. But the fact still remains that he isn't that good against explosive pass rushers (i.e Von Miller, Tamba Hali). I hope I am wrong about this I really do. But I just don't see where anyone that looks at our LT situation, can be excited about it.
  12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
    I don't think anyone here is excited about it, but Dunlap + Harris (with 1 year of experience) > Lazy POS + Harris (rookie)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    The Eagles line as a whole was a mess. If you thought Rivers was under pressure a lot last year, compare that to the 217 quarterback hits and hurries the Eagles gave up. The Chargers gave up 175 hits and hurries.

Dunlap deserves what the American justice system calls for, "innocent until proven guilty." Of those hits and hurries, Dunlap gave up the second fewest on the team, at 22. The Chargers
    all star trio of Jared Gaither, Mike Harris, and Kevin Haslam combined for a total of 63 hits and hurries last year. For those that value sacks, Dunlap gave up 5, while our trifecta gave up 17. Dunlap played along a lousy line, too. He also blocked for a mobile quarterback which is very hard to do because you literally have no idea where they're going to be. Both Nick Foles and Michael Vick tend to hold on to the ball for longer than they should have, which causes the casual fan to think that the lineman are not doing their job, but that's not the case

Judging by the Arizona Cardinals' 2012 offense, I look for the Chargers to implement a passing offense focused on Philip Rivers getting the ball out of his hands quickly. I don't think it will be a West Coast offense, but we're not going to see the return of the Dan Fouts days in the Air Coryell offense. Dunlap's strength is his pass blocking, and knowing where the quarterback will be will make life easier on him. Dunlap's two worst games happened to be nationally televised, so his season as a whole was blown out of proportion. He had some really good games against some really good pass rushers, which is something I can't say the same for the left tackles on the Chargers last year. He'll be an upgrade to the position and a vital part of the offense.

Other option
    Bell was benchedbefore the season even started, and benched again midway through the season for good. He signed a 5 year, $34.5 million contract in 2012, and was released after just one year. Just like Dunlap, Bell also had a disastrous game on national TV. Actually, he was worse than Dunlap.

Bell does have familiarity with Coach Joe-D, having played with Buffalo from '08-11. To his credit, last year was his first time in a new scheme under offensive line guru Howard Mudd. Bell said Mudd and the Eagles employ a different approach.
    "Most offensive line coaches teach the "vertical step," in which a tackle takes a backward step to cut off the pass rusher. Mudd abhors the vertical step, and teaches lineman to "attack." It's aggressive, it's nothing like I've been taught my first four years in the league. It's totally opposite, but I like it. I think it works in my favor, being athletic."
    - Demetress Bell on Mudd's approach

I'd still like to see the bring in Bell as an option
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Not a Nancy Grace fan, eh? :laugh:

(actually I thought it was a great post...my HLN-tourettes just got the best o' me!)
  15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,695 / 45 / -26
    Is there such an animal?
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    That's not a good example at all. Tebow was strictly brought in to run a "wildcat" offense with Sparano. He bulked up an extra 15 pounds to be used in the run game more. None of those coaches in that building believed in him at QB. Do you really think Mark Sanchez was threatened by that? This year he is more likely to be threatened, with Geno Smith.

He will not face Tamba Hali. Hali lines up more on the QB's blindside, more like Justin Houston, either way DJ Fluker is going to have to quicken his foot speed. Its all about coaching.

I have a feeling the Chargers wanted McKinnie for LOT to move Dunlap to ROT to move Fluker inside to ROG. So, think our LOT search still isn't done.
  17. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0

Hahahaha, ok. I forgot you are in the front office for the NY Jets and know EXACTLY why they brought Tim Tebow in, and EXACTLY what went through every coaches head about Tim Tebow. Damn, i'll remember that when I need information on what the upcoming moves are for them. Maybe you could give me some fantasy football advice? Tell me about the Jets waiver pickups, and injuries before they come out to give me the competitive edge? :roflmao:

IMO I think Tebow was brought in for a multitude of reasons. Did they bring him in to run the wildcat? Yes. Did they bring him in because as you said earlier "competition elevates a players game"? IMO yes. Did they bring him as a specific marketing tool. IMO yes. However, there was a lot of talk from a lot of experts, and media during OTA's last year that Tebow was being brought in not only to run the wildcat but to push for the job to find out what they actually had with Mark Sanchez. And while I sat back and laughed because Tebow is garbage, and showed it in OTA's and training camp, most people think he couldn't get on the field because Rex Ryan didn't want him there. And there lies where we agree regarding the coaches not believing in him.

On to DJ. Are you saying that Hali only lines up on the left side? If King Dunlap is as good as you say he is in pass protection (not quite sure that's the case), and you have a guy on the right side who is better known for his run blocking ability, you don't think they will line up Hali on the right side as much as possible? Come on, I certainly don't think you really believe that.

Once again, I think we will just have to agree to disagree as usual. You seem much more content with the scrubs we have on the OLine than me. I hope for the sake of our team and franchise that this group is as good as you seem to think they could be otherwise it's going to be another long, and painful year. Literally.
  18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Oh God, it's true: All roads (and even McKinnie threads) do lead to Tebow. :cry:
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Fluker is the ROT, They said the tackle position is a premium. I doubt they would use the 11th pick on a RT with the intentions of just transferring him into a guard.

Apparently there was that advanced metrics stat sheet the Jags went off of when they chose to select Joeckel, that proves RT is just as important as LT, I can picture Telesco using the same system.

At this point there isn't much of anything out there that IMO be considered an upgrade over Dunlap. I'd still like to see some competition over them just handing the job straight over though.
  20. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    lol. :poop:
  21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Maybe not in FA, but there is always the possibility of a trade for someone like Saffold

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
  22. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 8 / -3
    Are you going to give credit to the author on this piece, or just let folks think you wrote it? Because it came from BoltsFromTheBlue & was written by a guy named Kyle Posey who writes for them.
  23. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Tim Tebow was not taking the job from Mark Sanchez. That was clear from Day 1 when they said Sanchez was the starter at QB. Everyone knew about Tebow's throwing deficiencies, literally everyone. And his poor accuracy. Why else would they make him put on 15 more pounds? Jump from 235 to 250. Essentially built like a linebacker. They even asked him to change positions before his release. How many times did he throw the ball for the Jets? 8 times. It was a marketing move made by Woody Johnson, and he brought the madness with it. They sold jerseys, and put more attention on the Jets. Exactly what they wanted. One thing they did get while Tebow was there, an improved locker room.

Also listen to Mike Westhoff, the ST's coach for them last year, now retired, and how he criticized the coaching and handling of Tebow.

Who were you listening to Skip Bayless? Many "experts" are against Tebow and were at the start of the season. It just got to a point for the Jets, where they said "heck, just throw Tebow in there maybe he'll win some games." Why else did they skip over Tebow then for McElroy if Tebow was competing for the job at QB?

There's my proof in terms of King Dunlap in pass pro
    This from PFF

Only one other player had a higher rating who played LOT in 2012, and that was Sam Baker with near 400 snaps more. Again, it's all about coaching. We could use another swing OT, whether its Demetress Bell or Sean Locklear or Max Starks and Jamaal Brown and then King Dunlap becomes the swing.

Your gonna be one of the first guys on this forum who will admire the work of Joe D and what he does with this offensive line. Is it gonna be a Pro Bowl caliber OL? No, but there will be a significant improvement from last year.
  24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Im not taking nor were my intentions ever to take credit, I just copied and pasted the parts I wanted to share. Having read the article you can obviously see, I left a lot of the other unnecessary (Or things I didn't agree with/ care to mention) parts out:tup:
  25. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    Next time, just give the writer credit (it's easy and you can avoid being called out).
    That's all, carry on...
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  26. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    lol, we shall see. I promise you I won't admire anything from this group. Not unless out of no-where Dunlap proves to me that he isn't anymore than a back up in this league, and these guards aren't just depth guys. I think Fluker's work ethic will make him a better pass protector over time. But he is the only one out of the 4...Minus Nick Hardwick that I see with any real potential upside.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Like I said in another forum (or this one? too many posted) I expect, especially in this first year Fluker and Phillips to be tied to the hip. I don't like it because IMO that is a wasted spot we could use in another area on offense, but it is necessary and I believe would add greater pass protection.
  28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Hey guys, tell me what you think: I'm putting together this little ditty,
    that I'm going to try to get performed before every WNBA game.
    So far, it goes like this:

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
    O'er the backboards we watched were so gallantly streaming?
    And the rocket's red glare, Lisa Leslie flyin' through the air,
    Gave proof through the night that our league was still there.
    Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville?

Whattya think? Am I on the right track, or should I just ditch the project now? Riff?
    • Like Like x 1
  29. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    I like it better with the colors bud. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I could see that, but the offenses I've seen from McCoy the TE doesn't block much. Someone in the backfield, ex. Woodhead, Brown will be doing the chipping.