1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers: Questions at WR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    CHARGERS: Questions aplenty at wide receiver
    BY SCOTT BAIR sbair@nctimes.com | Posted: Monday, August 1, 2011 2:00 am

SAN DIEGO — Assuming he's healthy, Vincent Jackson will start at receiver.

After that, the pecking order for primary pass catchers is a little fuzzy. The Chargers finished the free agent frenzy without signing a veteran receiver from outside the organization.

Those still hoping for a veteran import at the position shouldn't hold their breath. The Chargers will monitor the waiver wire throughout camp in hopes of finding good football players, but they aren't zeroed in on receivers (or inside linebackers for that matter).

Malcom Floyd remains a free agent and the market for his services has dropped significantly as receivers of his caliber sign bargain contracts — Plaxico Burress and Mike Sims-Walker inked one-year deals worth $3 million — but it would have to go even lower for the Chargers to bite.

That means the Chargers will work with the players they have. That should mean increased responsibility for Patrick Crayton, a cagy veteran acquired in trade before last season's opener. Crayton was coming into his own before a season-ending wrist injury, tallying at least 70 yards receiving in four of the five games before getting hurt.

"It'll be nice to have a full training camp here," said Crayton, who Chargers coach Norv Turner said has had a great start to camp. "Last year I was learning on the fly. It'll be good to get in sync with Philip and the other receivers and the whole flow of the offense.

"I think that will allow me to take on more responsibility in this offense. I love this scheme and I think I can be very productive within it."

While the Chargers have promising rookie wideouts, including San Diego State grad Vincent Brown, it's unrealistic to expect much from them early in the year. Veteran Kelley Washington is on the roster, but he's a special teamer who wasn't heavily involved in the passing game last year.

Second-year pro Seyi Ajirotutu has a real chance to move up the depth chart. He was incredibly productive at times (4 catches, 111 yards and two TDs against Houston) and a low priority at others, but he believes he can prove himself worthy with a solid camp. With Floyd not here and Legedu Naanee allowed to leave as a free agent, there is an opportunity for him to step up.

"That's what I'm hoping for," Ajirotutu said. "I have to come out and prepare every day like that's the situation. If it's not the case, then I have to keep performing well and make the coaches' decision on whom to play extremely difficult.

"There's a lot of opportunity here, but I have to take advantage of it. I have to take advantage of each day and prepare well and make the plays I need to make. That's all I can do."

Turner said that, as with all positions, his depth chart will form throughout camp.

"Those things work themselves out as you go through," he said. "We're going to select our team based on practice and who plays based upon performance. We're going to position them based upon what they do really well."

The Chargers don't need more star receivers to function at a high level. Quarterback Philip Rivers proved that last year, when he threw for a career high 4,710 yards without Jackson and Crayton, Floyd, Naanee and Gates hobbled at various times.

With Jackson back and Gates eventually getting healthy, there will be less attention paid to other receivers. Steady play from Crayton, Ajirotutu and Washington and the emergence of another receiver could give the Chargers a solid receiver corps without adding another player.

"Last year I spent significant time making sure I had all my assignments down," Ajirotutu said. "This year I'm focused on consistency. I can make plays, but I need to do it all the time. Whatever my role on this team is, I need to fill it to the best of my ability on every play."
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    What about trading for Jerricho Cotchery? I've been discussing this on twitter, he's going to earn $2.5 mil this year and next. He's coming off back surgery but the jets are desperately trying to get rid of him. If he's healthy, he'd be a good addition
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,685 / 39 / -8
    [​IMG]

sdutChargers S.D. U-T Chargers

RT @dtreeves: @sdutChargers Think Chargers would or should go after Cotchery? hes on the trading block >Not in trade. Only after released.
  4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Out of all of them Floyd is still our best bet. If not then T.O.!
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,685 / 39 / -8
    HELL NO TO!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    No worries if Jackson comes in and plays like the franchise player we made him

oh, but wait, how has giving the franchise tag worked out for the Bolts or anyone else for that matter.

stats, I need stats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag
  7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +405 / 7 / -1
    I agree... surely we can get Malcom for what we would have to pay someone like Cotchery and Malcom knows the system etc. The only question mark on him is his fitness.
  8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,531 / 7 / -2
    this x infinity
  9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Did Floyd crap in AJ's flower pots or something?
  10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,548 / 44 / -6
    I kind of like the idea of them going with what they already have. Gate's, Jackson and hopefully Mathews are three targets that need to be covered, that alone should open up some nice passing lanes after the second and third options. It would be nice if Floyd was welcomed back but right now it looks like it's all about the bucks.