1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Rapid Reports Part Deux

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    Nov. 05, 2011 4:48 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Walters re-signed to active roster, Hayes released
    The Chargers signed WR Bryan Walters off of the practice squad and released LB Gerald Hayes. Walters has taken a full ride on the roster merry-go-round this week. He was released from the 53-man active roster on Monday to make room for LB Bront Bird who played against the Chiefs. Walters was then re-signed to the practice squad on Tuesday. Chargers RapidReports

Nov. 05, 2011 5:07 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Who will return punts against Packers is in question
    WR Bryan Walters, signed off the practice squad, started the season as the first-string punt returner but has only been active for three games. WR Patrick Crayton has returned punts when Walters has not played. CB Antoine Cason, last season’s punt returner, practiced returning punts this past week. All three are candidates to return punts on Sunday. Chargers RapidReports

Nov. 05, 2011 4:55 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - WR Floyd will likely not play
    WR Malcom Floyd (hip) is listed as questionable for Sunday’s game against the Packers. The Chargers, however, signed WR Bryan Walters off of the practice squad and released LB Gerald Hayes on Saturday. This is a strong indication Floyd will not be healthy enough to play. Chargers RapidReports
  2. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    Thanks for the info dude. Would be a big loss to not have Malcom in this game, the Pack have plenty of good CBs, we're gonna need every weapon possible to get at them with. Especially wack if Mathews will also not be playing.
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,685 / 39 / -8
    I was one of the fans calling for Malcoms return. Now, I wonder if he can stay healthy for a full game this season.
  4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    I agree. When he is healthy he is good. Is Vincent Brown even playing?? I know that rookie WR rarely are good in their first year.
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,685 / 39 / -8
    He is listed as the WR behind Malcom on the depth chart at foxsports this week. Not sure that means much.
  6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +119 / 19 / -5
    Darn I wish Malcolm could play he always does good for us. Oh well VJ better make it happen(he usually does when Floyd is out) and of course Mr Gates should be in it as well if we're to beat the Pack.
  7. BÖLTERGEIZT

BÖLTERGEIZT BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Chargers need better receiving core. It is their weakness offense after dollarback position.
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Chargers veterans RB Curtis Brinkley and TE Kory Sperry are on the bubble
    By Dan McLellan | CBSSports.com
    July 29, 2012 8:05 pm EST

Running back Curtis Brinkley and tight end Kory Sperry are two of the hardest-working and well-liked returning veterans, but they are on the bubble to make this year's team. At both positions, general manager A.J. Smith drafted and added veteran depth with more experience.

“It is going to be tough,” Brinkley said of making this year's roster. “But life is tough and I am willing to deal with it and try to overcome anything I need to overcome.” No man on the Chargers roster has hurdled more obstacles than Brinkley who plays with a bullet lodged close to his heart.

In 2009, Brinkley came to the Chargers as an undrafted free agent. After completing offseason workouts he returned home to Philadelphia before training camp began. He was shot in the chest as he waited in his car to pick up his sister Niveka at work. The gunman turned out to be an ex-boyfriend of Niveka who mistook Brinkley as a date.

Brinkley returned to the Chargers in 2010 and made the practice squad. Last year he carried the ball 30 times for 101 yards. He also had a critical TD and 2-point conversion (both receiving) against the Chiefs on Monday Night Football in Week 8.

The Chargers lost RB Mike Tolbert (Panthers) to free agency, but added veteran RBs Jackie Battle (Chiefs) andRonnie Brown (Eagles). San Diego also drafted Edwin Baker (round seven, 250th overall) and Michael Hayes(undrafted, Houston) has impressed. Brinkley will have to beat out two of the four to retain the third RB spot.

Sperry faces similar odds. He worked primarily as a blocking TE behind Antonio Gates and Randy McMichael last season. All three have returned along with Brad Taylor (practice squad, 2011). Dante Rosario (free agent, Denver),Ladarius Green (Round 4, 110th overall pick) and Patrick Doyle (undrafted, USD) have been added.

Coach Norv Turner said he may carry four TEs this season. Sperry, however, had only one reception for 32 yards last season, and he knows more will be demanded of him.

“[I need] to become an all-around tight end,” Sperry said. “To be able to run routes, catch the ball and be able to be trusted blocking and not get beat. When I am out there, I have to win every battle. That is one of the things [coaches] look at. Out of how many plays are you
    going to win?”

Coach Norv Turner reinforced the need to be consistent when commenting on what Brinkley and Sperry. “They have both shown they are good players,” Turner said. “Now they just have to go take advantage of every opportunity they get over the next four to five weeks.”
    Follow the Chargers and Dan McLellan on Twitter @CBSSportsNFLSD and @sandiegosports.

Tags: Antonio Gates, Brad Taylor, Curtis Brinkley, Dante Rosario, Edwin Baker, Jackie Battle, Kory Sperry, Ladarius Green, Michael Hayes, Mike Tolbert, Patrick Doyle, Randy McMichael, Ronnie Brown, Carolina Panthers, San Diego Chargers, NFL
  9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I'd rather keep our 7th/UDFA RBs than Ronnie Brown. I don't know whether or not Brinkley will make the team, now that we've added Battle to the roster. I also think Sperry is gone unless he and Rosario steal McMichael's spot.
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Chargers: Second year CB Shareece Wright is eager to prove himself
    August 7, 2012 6:28 pm ET

CB Shareece Wright (round three, 2011) brought a Chargers hat to his draft party a year ago with the hopes his favorite team would call his name. Wright's dream was to play for San Diego and he envisioned a break out rookie season. The dream came true, but his rookie campaign fell far short of meeting expectations.

Wright's family and friends celebrated with him on draft day, but they waited week after week for Wright to make a big play to cheer for. The play never happened. “I communicated with them,” Wright said. “It wasn't like they were expecting me and didn't see me. They knew if I was going to be out there or not prior to the game, so it wasn't too big of a surprise. They still didn't understand too much because they want to see me play.”

The lockout a year ago canceled the OTAs and minicamp that are critical for preparing rookies. Wright was put further behind the learning curve when a groin injury sidelined him early in training camp. He did not make a game day active roster until week 8. Wright finished the season without recording a single tackle in seven games on special teams.
    Last season was not the first time Wright had faced adversity. He missed most of his 2008 season at USC with a hair line fracture in his neck. In 2009, Wright would have been the starting CB as a junior, but was ruled academically ineligible. A legal fight over a group arrest at a house party led to a decline in his grades.

“I look back on all of that and it is a lot of adversity that I have been through,” Wright said. “It helped me stay aware of things that can possibly happen. Before that stuff happened, I didn't think it was going to happen or I didn't think it could happen to me. Because before that, I didn't really have too much that I had to overcome.”

Having already gone through obstacles in college, Wright knew he would be able to put the disappointments of his rookie season behind him. “That was definitely a learning experience going through all of that,” Wright said. “I now know how to deal with it and to keep myself grounded with the knowledge God has a plan for me.”

The tide began to turn for Wright shortly before this year's draft when new defensive coordinator John Pagano told him he has the potential to be a starter.

“It is just good to know when your coordinator thinks so highly of you as a player,” Wright said. “It gives you the confidence that you need and as a corner confidence is everything. So it made me feel good and it motivated me to get ready for that time when he calls on me to be that player he wants me to be.”

Coach Norv Turner also recently stated his confidence in Wright. “Shareece is working hard,” Turner said. “I think he has very good coverage skills.”

Perseverance, hard work and a good attitude are about to pay off. Wright is expected to see snaps with the first-team as a nickel back in third down situations and will likely play some time at corner during the Chargers preseason game against the Packers on Thursday night.

“It's an evaluation, a chance for my coaches to see me in action against somebody else on another team,” Wright said of the opportunity. “I missed the first preseason game last year, so it definitely means something to me.”
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Chargers Notebook: Focus on special teams and red zone
    August 13, 2012 11:41 pm ET

The San Diego Chargers began Monday with a special teams walk-through. The red zone, two-minute offense and special teams were the focus of the evening practice.
    “We are trying to touch every phase we can as we go through the next five days,” coach Norv Turner said. “This is a great five-day period before we start preparing for the Cowboy game."

What stood out: RB Ronnie Brown and Curtis Brinkley shared the majority of reps. The two are competing to fill in forRyan Mathews (broken clavicle). Mathews is expected to miss the next four to six weeks, but worked out on the rehab field without the benefit of a sling on Monday, just four days after suffering the injury.

Mathews said he is preparing to play in the season opener, but Turner expects him to be out longer. “Last time I checked, Ryan is not a doctor,” Turner said. “We are just going to evaluate him on a weekly basis. If he heals fast and he is ready that early, that would be great. But what I have been told is four to six weeks in terms of him being able to get back out there. We will just see how it goes.”

Position battles: WR Malcom Floyd, TE Antonio Gates and ILB Takeo Spikes did not practice in order to allow rookies to get some extra reps. TE Ladarius Green (round four, 110th overall pick) benefited most for the absence of the veterans and he had the most touches he has had in a practice so far in camp. Seems to dispute some of the recent reports that I've read citing him nowhere to be found.

Green did not have a reception against the Packers in the preseason opener on Thursday. Many believe he is on the bubble because San Diego has six TEs on the roster. Green, however, said he was not concerned about his playing time. “I know what the deal is,” Green said. “I know how many tight ends we have and how much experience they have. I just need to play my role as a rookie and learn from the other guys.

Injury updates: DT Garrett Brown (left foot in boot), WR Richard Goodman (unknown), RB Ryan Mathews (clavicle), WR Eddie Royal (leg) and G Johnnie Troutman (pectoral) worked out on the side and did not practice. Also did not practice: G-T Brandyn Dombrowski (foot, cyst), LT Jared Gaither (back spasms) and DT Antonio Garay (left foot in boot).
    Goodman was a new addition to the non-participants list. He missed several practices last week and did not play against the Packers, but he participated in practice over the weekend.

K Nate Kaeding (personal reasons) and FS Eric Weddle (hip) returned to practice

What's next: The Chargers will have a walk-through Tuesday morning followed by a full practice in the afternoon. All practices are now closed to the public.
  12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 7 / -1
    So LaDarius is starting to do things in practice? I'm really surprised we've not heard that much about him as a pass catcher. We all knew he seemed a bit light when drafted and that he needs to fill out but I thought he'd be used like a big wideout instead esp in red zone.
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    It's still early & lots of TE's/WR's in camp to share the reps with. I really don't see the team trying to stash him on the PS.
  14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,549 / 44 / -6
    With camp now closed to the public the real dirty work will begin.
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    If Royal and Gaither don't return to practice next week, I think its probably time to start getting worried.:tdown:
  16. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    At least, Gaither was allowed to go out and get a second opinion on his condition...... overdue in my view.
    • Agree Agree x 1