1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers resturcture football operations...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Jan 17, 2013.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +452 / 2 / -1
  2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    Wow were jus puttin it all toghether in one week. I likes.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    So basically people changed title and J. Spanos got a few more responsibilities while McGuire remains doing his voodoo. I'll take it

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Im curious if this "new era" is Dean just setting up John for success, the whole going out of the ordinary hiring a consultant, carfefully processing your options to pick a head coach and GM et . What ever it may be "On paper" this is by far the most excited I've been in a long time in the off season, considering The draft and FA haven't even begun yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    Could be that now they hired young guns to work with the new young gun in Spanos, much like a changing of the guard?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    That or John just needed some new buddies to go hit up the Gas lamp with:D

[​IMG]
    Wheres Blue to do something with this pic for Telesco, Spanos and McCoy

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Can't they just pick someone else to do the player personnel thing? I don't like that baby boy has kept this responsibility.

8. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194 / 3 / -1
    ^^^^ this. The move to youth won't be without it's moments, but I really like where they're going.

9. MadMike

Ratings:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Are you saying his rich dad bought him some friends?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Id rather have an owner (once deano hands over the keys) who has worked his entire career in the organization than some doof with a bad haircut sitting in the box with salsa on his shirt

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 4 / -0
    I wish you wouldn't talk about me like that. :geek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,607 / 29 / -1
    He's going to be the owner sometime down the road anyway. Would you rather he not gain an understanding of how the operations work, however forced?

I'd be mad if he were the GM, but that's not really the case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Sometimes an understanding of the ins and outs can be dangerous.

[​IMG]

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,607 / 29 / -1
    You're confusing an understanding with an overzealous desire to win and micromanagement.

15. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    We will see how he drives when he gets the keys to the car. I just wish he would give the player control to Tom Telescope.

16. MadMike

Ratings:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    He's in charge of football operations. They specifically said that John Spanos, Ed McGuire, and Tom Telesco report directly to Dean. Telesco does not report to John. Yet.

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    Hopefully this makes sense... I'm running on 2 hours of sleep and nearly a week splitting time between my Grandma's ICU bedside and keeping up with my regular life :p I'm a little loopy tonight, bear with me.

I like to think that John has had a greater level of input in this regime change than the last go-round. Alex Spanos was not the owner his son Dean has been and I bet Dean will end up being a lesser owner than John (when it's all said and done). As with each generation they have spent more and more of their lives with the Chargers as the family business vs. the real estate/development stuff Alex built his wealth through.

John is 3 years older than me, AG is 4 (33 and 34 respectively) they were 5/6 years old when Grandpa Spanos bought his initial 60% interest in the team. They were teenagers when Dad took over and the team went to the Super Bowl. Essentially, they have been involved with Chargers football their entire lives. So it's highly likely, as a result, that their investment in this team goes much deeper than either of the men who came before them. I see that as a big positive.

For all the "spoiled rich kid" crap that gets flung at John, he and AG have both put in the work to be knowledgeable and experienced in the nuances of running an NFL organization. Each one focusing on different sides of the business, the sides which they personally felt most drawn to and best suited for. Sure they had opportunities no one else had, but they've also spent years learning about the team/industry from the ground up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,214 / 37 / -21
    I don't much care who runs the show, as long as they don't do the Al Davis, Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder routine where they have to be in control of everything. And as long as Ron Wolf is consulted for everything, at least until he croaks. Basically, whatever has been happening the last 3 weeks...just keep it going in that direction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    If I remember correctly... John Spanos has worked at the NFL headquarters, done work in the field scouting, and basically worked his way up through various facets of football operations inside and outside of the Chargers organization.

I have no problem with him being given the responsibilities he has been, it does not smack of total nepotism to me. I will wait and judge him on what he does and how HIS team performs. So far, looking at the talent being brought in on the coaching staff I will say the impact thus far (guessing at what his involvement level is) has not been negative.

To assume he will mess things up because his name is Spanos is just hoping for a train wreck so you can drive slowly by hoping to see blood... ;)

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,607 / 29 / -1
    I have absolutely ZERO issue with what they're doing with John Spanos right now. In fact, I greatly applaud it.

When the rumor was that he was going to be the GM I was a bit concerned because, even with a seemingly good approach to give him experience, I shared the concern of what it'd take to replace him should he prove to do a bad job.

But they're not making him the GM. They're giving him a different title and incorporating him into the chain of command.

The guy is going to take over this team as owner some time down the road. They can do one of two things: let him party and live the rich boy life and then take over the team not caring or knowing much about it other than that it's a source of his riches, or they can infuse him into the business so he knows what to do.

I much prefer the latter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,438 / 36 / -16
    Yes, I did (appropriately) tease Acee a bit for his silly Jan. 3rd knob-polisher on John Spanos...

But at the end of the day, I don't give a damn about how he got the job, or accounts of his
    privilege, or blowhard theories about how he'll perform the job...

All I care about is whether he puts a winning team on the field.
    (the years he did or didn't spend in the football world matter little compared to his talent & aptitude, as far as I'm concerned)